Gilbert Gottfried fired

B_crackoff

Experimental Member
Media
One cannot deny the sarcastic element.
But "he's a beautiful guy" is clearly an example of irony when my meaning is clearly the opposite of the obvious surface meaning.
Sarcasm and irony are on good terms and often seen together.

Maybe all these years of watching comedies without a laugh track over here have refined us too much.:eek: Anything mocking or nasty to an individual in this way, even hyperbole, is always sarcastic. Irony would always be seen as situational, & more subtle.

I think etymologists should realise the punchometer effect. No one should be punched for being ironic, but they could be for being sarcastic.:wink:

Edit - I saw that Joan Rivers roast - it was pretty good before he came on, & then I found out that he came up with the Aristocrats joke - "the dirtiest" & the worst joke in the world.

Last edited:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Maybe all these years of watching comedies without a laugh track over here have refined us too much.:eek: Anything mocking or nasty to an individual in this way, even hyperbole, is always sarcastic. Irony would always be seen as situational, & more subtle.
Well, I don't think the irony was subtle in that post.
But ... to each his own.

I think etymologists should realise the punchometer effect. No one should be punched for being ironic, but they could be for being sarcastic.:wink:
... I assume you are in the market for a goalie's mask.
If not, you must know you should be.

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Oh, give me the old days of comedy like Laurel & Hardy, Lee Tracy, Jack Benny, Red Skelton, etc. over loadmouthed Gilbert Gottfried and Dane Cook any day. One thing about these comedians of the Golden Age is that they had class, which Gilbert lacks as an adult and human being.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The amount of fuck Japan sentiment on twitter I've seen via twitter is very alarming. But, in reality I'm not surprised one bit.

Most likely people who have never been to Japan and don't know any japanese people. They would probably also be the ones looting if the situation were in their city I suspect.

legionking

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
has anyone seen the facebook pictures of people saying pearl habor and fuck japan?

i cant believe the amount of ignorant Americans would come out and say that. but at the same time i bet that those people were donating money to earthquake in haiti and saying good luck