Girl identified as "Black Girl" in yearbook

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by surferboy, May 23, 2005.

1. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. yaoifun

yaoifun New Member

LMAO! How sad! That was just low of them!

3. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I don't see what's so humorous about this. It's plainly offensive and shows an incomprehensible lack of common sense and decency as shown by the school. (Never mind that they couldn't just leave the name *blank* since they didn't know the girl's name for cryin' out loud. WTF?)

Could've been White Girl, Black Girl, Hispanic Girl, Chinese Girl, Fag... not cool at all any way you go. :angry:

4. Imported

Gold Member

carolinacurious: It's funny in the sense that the black kid on South Park is named token. It's not funny in the sense that this is a real human being; this is just horrendous. I doubt that it was done without ill intent, but we probably won't know.

I imagine that lawyers are burning up the phone lines to this poor girls house, I also imagine that the school board is praying that she doesn't sue.

5. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:

Exactly. Dee, I understand this is probably a sensitive issue for you, but like, it's sardonic. I'm sorry that you feel offended by it.

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I checked this one out. It seems, sadly, to be true. The 4 pages (2 pages front and back) are being reprinted but they will not be ready until the day before school ends and students have been asked to bring their yearbooks in for correction. That should take care of it. Uh-huh.

What's hard to believe is that National Honor Society students didn't 'know' the name of one of their own!!?? A majority that didn't know a minority's name?

Yeah, right.

I went to a small-town high school whose graduating class was only 208 but back then I could name them all.

If this school has a history of the least bit of harassment, with this blatant incident they've laid themselves open. Wide open.

It's not raining in Waxahachie - it's the lawyers' mouths watering.

7. reir

reir Member

Albums:
    I was the photography editor for my class yearbook in high school, and mistakes like these were our worst nightmare. Many of us slaved for hours each night near the deadline scanning pages and pages of captions to make sure there were no mistakes like these that could end up being published on accident. Sometimes the students writing the captions would put in jokes and/or write a malicious caption under the photo of a friend/enemy with the intent to change it later, and then forget. Our own yearbook staff, along with the offending student, the yearbook adviser, and the principal of the school several years before had been heavily sued because one of these "jokes" made it through the screening process and was actually published.

I'm sure this was an unfortunate mistake on both the part of the student who wrote the caption and the yearbook screening staff who failed to notice it before sending the publication approval. If I was a student in a photo reading a caption like that in reference to myself, I would be highly offended.

Despite that, I do see the irony in the "black girl" caption itself and understand why some people would find it to be humorous.

8. mindseye

Gold Member

This sort of thing happened at Virginia Tech a few years back, when a writer who didn't know Sharon Yeagle's official title at the university wrote "Director of Butt-Licking" instead, assuming that his editor would fix the mistake. The editor forgot to do so and the bogus title went to press.

9. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yah, reir, I ttally know what you mean. I was Faculty Section editor. And no one would ever put "Black Girl" or "Asian Boy" or "Whitey". But yah, this incident is funny in a sardonic way, and, though I find humor in it, I feel sooo bad for the girl.

10. major_7

major_7 New Member

Had to ring in on this one...

I have been to Waxahachie, and I am not surprised at all that this sort of thing is STILL happening in 2005. Shoot, by Texas standards, Waxahachie is only a hop, skip and a noose away from Jasper, Texas where a man was dragged to his death behind a pickup truck.

In my highschool yearbook (El Paso) they ALMOST got away with the caption "Cutest Queers" beneath a picture of me with my best friend. In those days (1970's) 'queer' was not even close to being an acceptable term for homosexual males.

11. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

There's just no excuse for the yearbook for printing that. They should have known the girl's name and if they didn't know the spelling or, for some reason, didn't know her name, they should have just left it blank. I hope the school does get sued...they deserve it. Some heads need to roll over that one. It's not funny, it's ignorance on a blatantly gross level.

12. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

So they check the school records and find her name.

Blacque Gurrell.

13. db03

db03 Member

Im supposed to be going to texas in august but i'm reconsidering now! lol

Also going to L.A which i cant wait for!

14. Imported

Gold Member

hung_big:
    Sardonic - Scornfully or cynically mocking.

That's what everybody thinks is wrong with the whole thing. If you are mocking somebody because of their race, it means that it is racism. I doubt that was the intent, but I doubt sardonic is a good way of describing it.

I find it repulsive that they put that instead of just leaving it blank or something.

15. kinkyman

kinkyman New Member

I was an editor for my yearbook for two years. this is something I find unexcusable, from the person who put it there, on up to the faculty advisor.
    my high school was mostly hispanic, and by mostly, I mean 97%. there were maybe 6 black students. if there is just one in a school, somebody on the yearbook staff should know their name. if not, as somebody else said, school records. I had to resort to that myself. there was a girl in a photo, and none of us knew her name. but I knew my sister had her in a couple of classes. it took all of 5 minutes to cross refrence that.

if this hadn't taken place in a locale that has a modern history of racist issues, I could see it more as being a simple mistake. but I strongly feel that this was done with malice.

-Cam

16. mindseye

Gold Member

I think if it had been done intentionally to cause malice, the wording would have been much different. I see it as an inexcusable error, and I have a feeling that the responsible parties will never let anything like it happen again. But honestly, wouldn't a malicious high school student have chosen something a little stronger than "Black Girl"?

17. Imported

Gold Member

carolinacurious:
    It depends, if you want plausible deniability and something funny in the way "token" on Southpark is funny then you put "black girl". If you want it to start raining frogs you use something else.

I'm not ruling out that it was an "innocent" although so, so stupid mistake.

18. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

The whole question stems as to why anything needed to even have been put in...no place marker needed to have been put. A blank line could have sufficed, "insert name here" or even "unknown student" would have worked, too. There's no need to use the racial indicator as a name. I'm still puzzled as to how no one knew who she was or what her name was. Certainly somebody had to have a class with her or the advisor could have had some way to find out who she was. The whole thing is kind of fishy.

19. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Chris, "sardonic" is the right word of choice. I was talking about sardonic humor.

20. ashlar

Gold Member

Albums:
    My question is, what's so wrong with being a black girl?

Draft saved Draft deleted