girlfriend whos friends are ALL guys, problem?

D_ewjjde

Just Browsing
Media
Actually I have a good story that ties in with this and the very interesting "Ladder Theory" that was posted:

4 People are involved, names changed:
Aaron: My friend and roommate.
Sasha: A friend of a friend.
Ryan: Sasha' boyfriend. Not really my friend, but an acquaintance.
Myself

Sasha and Ryan had been dating for 4-5 years. Aaron and I have been friends for a long time. All four of us went to the same high school. Sasha and Ryan are two years younger than us. All four of us ended up living in the same city in college/after college.

Now, for me, unless a girl is making a strong play at me, I don't go after girls with boyfriends. It's just not my thing. I keep them as casual acquaintances, but I respect the relationships. I would never put myself in a compromising position with one.

Aaron is the opposite. He is the EXACT guy that annoys and angers a girl's boyfriend.

Anyway, when Sasha got into the same college as the two of us, we all started hanging out more. Soon, Aaron started calling Sasha to hang out "as a group" when Ryan wasn't available. She and a couple of her friends would come over and we'd all go out or stay in and party.

Whenever he was on campus, he would take her to lunch. He would visit her at work. Ryan began to get pissed, because it was obvious to him that Aaron was trying to make a move. I could see it as well, because that is his reputation and had seen the same story play out many times before.

Sasha REFUSED to believe this. She insisted constantly Aaron was just one of her closest friends. She confided in Aaron. Told him all sorts of things about her relationship with Ryan. Once I walked in on Aaron holding her while she was talking about her troubles. You know, because he was such a good friend.

Anyway, one day, Aaron takes Sasha out to lunch and grabs her hand and tells her how much he likes her. Says that he's liked her for the longest time and wants a relationship with her. She declines, saying they are just friends. After that, their friendship wanes.

A few months later, Sasha and Ryan begin to split. She no longer wants to be in a relationship with him as she feels he is too controlling. It is somewhat true, but then again, when you've got guys like Aaron around, you can see where the paranoia sets in. Suddenly Aaron is back to his old games. Talking her through the break-up. Taking her out to meals. Asking her to hang out. You know, because he was such a good friend.

Sasha and Ryan's relationship ends. This is where the ladder theory comes into play. Aaron thinks this is his big opportunity to fuck Sasha. We all go out one night. He is trying way to hard. She is clearly annoyed by him - because what girl wouldn't be annoyed by the vulture who was circling around her dying relationship? - and spends most of the night talking to other people. Eventually her and I get to talking. We had literally had maybe 2-3 conversations in our entire lives. The conversation turns sexual fairly quickly as we laugh and compare stories. Eventually she is sitting on my lap, making out with me in a booth. I call a cab, we go back to my place and spend the next few hours fucking with reckless abandon.

Aaron ends up getting pissed at me. I find out from my other roommate that he wanted to fuck Sasha and had been talking about it for months. I confront Aaron and lay down the facts of life: You can't just claim a girl because you want her, especially when she had a boyfriend for the duration of your friendship. Life goes on.

The points:
1. The Ladder Theory is in play. Aaron was clearly on the friend's ladder. I was clearly on the good ladder because I wasn't the Intellectual Whore passively attempting to sabotage her relationship.

2. Aaron, "the friend", wanted to fuck Sasha more than anything else in his involvement with her. That was his end goal.

3. Women in relationships can have guy friends. However, women are terrible at judging which of their guy friends will respect their relationship and which of their guy friends are trying to meddle.

4. Guys who attempt to hang out 1 on 1 with your girlfriend as just friends are never attempting to hang out as just friends.

AlphaMale

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Exceptions to the rule that a straight male wants to fuck his platonic female friend:
1. he's gay
2. she's unattractive (to him)
3. they've already fucked and he's lost interest in her sexually

Other scenarios fall into the above rule. For example:
-she is dating/married to his close friend - he still wants to fuck her (but if he's a good enough friend to his buddy, won't act on it)
-he is fucking someone more attractive - he still wants to fuck her, but is currently being distracted by a more attractive female.

The above exceptions are it, ladies. So if you have platonic male friends, they:
(1) want to fuck you,
(2) have already fucked you,
(3) are gay or
(4) don't find you sexually desirable.

There are no other options.

Since many women can eliminate two of the 4 options with respect to their male friends - they haven't previously fucked and she knows for a fact he's not gay, it leaves them with the uncomfortable reality that the guy either wants to fuck them or simply finds them sexually undesirable. Neither of these is a pleasant reality, so women will continue to rationalize their way out of it.

100% on point, couldn't have said it any better myself! :smile:

B_Bjen2848

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
For the record: I said it's not a red flag, not because I deny the possibility that my friends want to fuck me, but because I can't think of a reason to want to fuck them. I really do not think most of my friends want to fuck me, for whatever reason. Most of them are paired off. Some of them have been around me since the primordial ooze. Some of them are my husband's friends. Some of them, well, I'm not their type. Nearly all of them knew me when I was sleeping around and never gave the weakest signal that they wanted me to consider them. Or, maybe I'm wrong, and they've all deposited me in the spank bank. As I have said before, I don't care what they want in that regard. I'm not interested in any of them sexually, because I am in a monogamous relationship, and they are all brotherly. Therefore, they can want in one hand, and shit in the other, and see which one fills up first. I really just can't see what someone else's desires or motives have to do with my trustworthiness.

lol, you're proving us all right ... they don't want to fuck you/aren't trying to because they already have someone/something better or they don't find you attractive, and on top of that, they know from the start that they have no chance ... so of course you think they don't want to have sex with you ... what man would want to risk his ego by trying to start an already failed mission with an attached girl he is not attracted to because he has something better?

we're talking about the single straight men, start flirting with them and see their response and how they will quickly all trying to hop in the bed with you ... or start having relationship problems and see how they will trying and nice their way in your pants

you see THAT is why it is a small red flag, men know how emotional women are and how powerful emotions can get confused with sex

lets say me and the girl i am with is in a relationship and we have a typical down that comes with the ups and downs in a relationship, who are the couple going to vent about the problems with? exactly, their friends ... i'll go to my drinking buddies and she'll go to her all male, straight friends ... all a guy needs is a sliver of hope for him to try and fuck, they will try and take advantage of the situation and say all the right things to get her in bed

and YES, ive seen this before MANY times, and im sure all the men posting have seen this before who are a lot older than i am with A LOT more experience (im only 20 years old) MANY TIMES, we know how naive women are with their guy friends (its evident by their response) so they will let their guard down because their good ole pal jim is "just a friend", before you know it jim is the guy she has on the side every time her boyfriend leaves the toilet seat up

now before you call me crazy, sexist, rude, immature or whatever i am expected to be called, wait about 12 hours for a bunch of guys to agree with what i just said ...

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
now before you call me crazy, sexist, rude, immature or whatever i am expected to be called, wait about 12 hours for a bunch of guys to agree with what i just said ...

I'm a 100% straight man, and I agree with BayAreaGuy.

Who knows if this girl having guy friends is a big deal but the OP and her? Nobody here.

And dudes who seriously live their lives wanting to fuck everything with a vagina between its legs are ridiculous. I don't think any man with half a brain actually thinks that or behaves that way. I've certainly known sub-Neanderthals that would match up to that stereotype, but saying all men are like that is ridiculous.

He didn't.

ignatius4446z

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
lol, you're proving us all right ... they don't want to fuck you/aren't trying to because they already have someone/something better or they don't find you attractive, and on top of that, they know from the start that they have no chance ... so of course you think they don't want to have sex with you ... what man would want to risk his ego by trying to start an already failed mission with an attached girl he is not attracted to because he has something better?

we're talking about the single straight men, start flirting with them and see their response and how they will quickly all trying to hop in the bed with you ... or start having relationship problems and see how they will trying and nice their way in your pants

you see THAT is why it is a small red flag, men know how emotional women are and how powerful emotions can get confused with sex

lets say me and the girl i am with is in a relationship and we have a typical down that comes with the ups and downs in a relationship, who are the couple going to vent about the problems with? exactly, their friends ... i'll go to my drinking buddies and she'll go to her all male, straight friends ... all a guy needs is a sliver of hope for him to try and fuck, they will try and take advantage of the situation and say all the right things to get her in bed

and YES, ive seen this before MANY times, and im sure all the men posting have seen this before who are a lot older than i am with A LOT more experience (im only 20 years old) MANY TIMES, we know how naive women are with their guy friends (its evident by their response) so they will let their guard down because their good ole pal jim is "just a friend", before you know it jim is the guy she has on the side every time her boyfriend leaves the toilet seat up

Can I be the first to agree with that. It is more or less exactly what I wrote 3 or 4 pages ago about how women value emotional connection, and when they have that with a male friend, if they should ever go through a bad patch with their BF, then that guy is there offering a shoulder to cry on, and, soon enough, if he thinks he can get away with it, a cock to sit on.

Patchos

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Your use of the term 'pervert' robs it of a meaningful definition. Men are the way men are because that's the way we are wired. Sure, you could call that 'perverted' if you want to, but then you'd need a new term to define what most of us would call 'perverted'.

But I will acknowledge that your understanding of men seems to exceed that of most of the female posters in this thread.

So...can I hang with the guys now? :laughing:

P.S. Men are the way men are because the patriarchy dictates it.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
he posted before my last post

you see, when someone says something that contradicts what i say before (his post) my last post (what i said) than they didn't have time to agree or disagree because they havent read it yet

(DUH) :wtf1:

Wow. You ARE my intellectual superior. :rolleyes:

D_Madam_Ovary

Account Disabled
Media
Wow, this has been a bit of an eye opener to say the least - the boys seem to be pretty unanimous in their opinions overall.

It has made me a little uncomfortable with some of my friendships because there doesn't seem to be a 'neutral' - taking out those who are gay or distracted (lol), they either want to do me, or don't find me remotely attractive. I would prefer the latter tbh because I hate the thought of someone 'biding their time' and I don't want my friends to be attracted to me.

So, what are the motivations of the male friend who just simply doesn't find you attractive? Is he just a genuinely nice guy who enjoys having platonic female friends? Aren't there some men who just prefer the company of women?

What about the male friend who wants to confide in you about his love life (rather than the other way around)?
What about the friend in work who always picks your stuff up off the printer for you without being asked, offers to help a lot, etc?
Or the friend who offers to drive you places without being asked?

Lol, I know the last few examples seem kinda specific - but you have got me wondering now and I just plucked these from last week! Are they not just nice guys?

ignatius4446z

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, this has been a bit of an eye opener to say the least - the boys seem to be pretty unanimous in their opinions overall.

It has made me a little uncomfortable with some of my friendships because there doesn't seem to be a 'neutral' - taking out those who are gay or distracted (lol), they either want to do me, or don't find me remotely attractive. I would prefer the latter tbh because I hate the thought of someone 'biding their time' and I don't want my friends to be attracted to me.

So, what are the motivations of the male friend who just simply doesn't find you attractive? Is he just a genuinely nice guy who enjoys having platonic female friends? Aren't there some men who just prefer the company of women?

What about the male friend who wants to confide in you about his love life (rather than the other way around)?
What about the friend in work who always picks your stuff up off the printer for you without being asked, offers to help a lot, etc?
Or the friend who offers to drive you places without being asked?

Lol, I know the last few examples seem kinda specific - but you have got me wondering now and I just plucked these from last week! Are they not just nice guys?

Just cos they want to fuck you doesn't mean they're not nice guys. The two things aren't mutually exclusive :wink:

TroMag

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

It's not just that the guys are there when the relationship hits a rough patch and can take advantage of the female emotional rollercoaster, which certainly happens.

The other reason it's a red flag is what I vaguely hinted at earlier, and what a couple of subsequent posts have touched on. A woman who has mostly straight male friends is desperately seeking validation. These women tend to be broken in some way. Sure, you might be able to save one. But a Captain Save A Ho runs the very high risk that he will be cheated on.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
he posted before my last post

you see, when someone says something that contradicts what i say before (his post) my last post (what i said) than they didn't have time to agree or disagree because they havent read it yet

(DUH) :wtf1:

All Ethyl is saying is that what I posted is an example of a straight man disagreeing with what you said. And I'll back up in said 12 hour window (since that for some inexplicable reason matters to you) that I do not agree with you.

My best friend of well over 15 years is a very attractive woman. Thin, cute, tall, smart, funny, charming.

Both of us have been single simultaneously and (get ready to be floored here) I did not try to fuck her. I did not want to fuck her. I still to this day find her attractive (and she me--that's why we're such close friends), but at no time have we ever tried to have sex with each other.

Now, I'm not saying this is a common occurrence at all. But I'm also not the throwing around generalities and characterizing all men as falling into a particular stereotype of the "will-fuck-anything-that-moves" type.

For example, you said:

I've had more than a sliver of hope that I could get physical with female friends of mine in just these types of situations and guess what? I did not try to fuck them. I did not try to "take advantage of the situation and say all the right things to get her in bed." You are 100% wrong that all men are like that. And, frankly, I think you and the other men here agreeing with you have significant character flaws that you should be assessing rather than nonchalantly acting like over-the-top chauvinism is simply something women should expect from men (it's not) or something men are entitled to be (it's not).

Anyway, I'm doubtless wasting my time here. Take this post more as a message to women that no, not all of your straight male friends are trying to get in your pants. Chances are dudes like the ones telling you in this thread that they'd try to fuck you if they were your friend aren't your friends for a reason.

TroMag

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
No. The only reason a straight man prefers the company of women to men is the prospect of sex, however slim that prospect may be.

Seriously, apart from sex, I cannot think of a single reason I'd rather hang out with women than men. Actually, I can think of one - to get further insights on women that I can use in relationships with women I am fucking or trying to fuck. But that's about it.

How often do you see men who are very good with women in platonic friendships with unattractive females (unrelated females and not work colleagues)? They don't because it is pointless. They don't want sex from the woman because they can do much better, so there's no reason to be her friend.

Last edited:

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
A woman who has mostly straight male friends is desperately seeking validation. These women tend to be broken in some way.

Completely unfounded.

Sure, you might be able to save one. But a Captain Save A Ho runs the very high risk that he will be cheated on.

Destroying any modicum of credibility by stating directly that a woman with a lot of male friends must be a "ho".

Keep it up, guys. You're really making strong cases for yourselves with these kinds of posts.

D_ewjjde

Just Browsing
Media
All Ethyl is saying is that what I posted is an example of a straight man disagreeing with what you said. And I'll back up in said 12 hour window (since that for some inexplicable reason matters to you) that I do not agree with you.

My best friend of well over 15 years is a very attractive woman. Thin, cute, tall, smart, funny, charming.

Both of us have been single simultaneously and (get ready to be floored here) I did not try to fuck her. I did not want to fuck her. I still to this day find her attractive (and she me--that's why we're such close friends), but at no time have we ever tried to have sex with each other.

Now, I'm not saying this is a common occurrence at all. But I'm also not the throwing around generalities and characterizing all men as falling into a particular stereotype of the "will-fuck-anything-that-moves" type.

You didn't prove anything with your story. YOU didn't try to sleep with your best friend. Had she offered, I can almost guarantee you would not be posting on this thread.

TroMag

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Destroying any modicum of credibility by stating directly that a woman with a lot of male friends must be a "ho".
Captain Save A Ho refers to a man who tries to save a woman. She need not be a whore or otherwise highly promiscuous.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
There we go. Altruism doesn't actually exist so it isn't a negative.

False. At least in the animal kingdom there have been documented instances of altruism. An internet search of the term should find examples, but I'm too tired today to do the search for you.

And I really hate these hypothesis threads when the simple solution is to ask the female involved as well as her friends-- because sweeping generalizations are amusing but the map is not the territory.