Girth vs. Diameter: Which tells more?

skinnyguy1991

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was wondering if anyone knows what is more representative of penis size: The girth (circumference, measuring AROUND the shaft in a circle) or the diameter (distance across the shaft).

I just wonder because girth is what is measured as the "average" sizes, but then with someone like me with average girth (5 inches) I get told I'm very thick by people.

Thanks.

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I was wondering if anyone knows what is more representative of penis size: The girth (circumference, measuring AROUND the shaft in a circle) or the diameter (distance across the shaft).

I just wonder because girth is what is measured as the "average" sizes, but then with someone like me with average girth (5 inches) I get told I'm very thick by people.

Thanks.

Diameter is what people see.

B_pussylover10

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
if u multiply diameter by 3.14 we get circumferance. Its one and the same.
5" is avarage. i m also same still very loose for my wife. It shall be 6.5" or more for saying it thick.

meatpackingbubba

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, they do basically tell the same thing, but the penis is usually not a perfect cylinder; rather it is usually ovoid shaped. Therefore, the circumference is more telling in that it accurately measures the thickness. For instance, an object that was 3 inches in diameter but only a half inch thick would have an approximate circumference of 7 inches. An object that is more cylindrical, say 2.25" in diameter, would also have a circumference of 7 inches. If you were to look at diameter, the one seems bigger than the other, when in fact the volume is the same.

basque9

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am sure most of us know , for a perfect cylinder, that diameter multiplied times the constant pi equals circumference /girth. Thing is, very few cocks one examines have a constant diameter like a cylinder. It appears that most guy's cocks are more oval in shape and are wider than they are deep. For these guys, pi x width diameter inflates their actual girth as measured with a tape.

A handful of guys have cocks which are almost round; these are the guys often with enormous urethral columns running beneath their cock shaft. For these guys pi x width diameter gives a pretty close approximation of their measured girth.

I did not mean to steal your thoughts, meatpackingbubba..our similar posts must have crossed in time!

Last edited:

lafever

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am sure most of us know , for a perfect cylinder, that diameter multiplied times the constant pi equals circumference /girth. Thing is, very few cocks one examines have a constant diameter like a cylinder. It appears that most guy's cocks are more oval in shape and are wider than they are deep. For these guys, pi x width diameter inflates their actual girth as measured with a tape.

A handful of guys have cocks which are almost round; these are the guys often with enormous urethral columns running beneath their cock shaft. For these guys pi x width diameter gives a pretty close approximation of their measured girth.

I did not mean to steal your thoughts, meatpackingbubba..our similar posts must have crossed in time!
My cock is like a cylinder, yes?
Anyways...

C.

Silvertip

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Unsure
I'll have to disagree with MeatPackingBubba on the following particulars:

... the penis is usually not a perfect cylinder; rather it is usually ovoid shaped ...

Not really ovoid, as ovoid means an irregular oval (one end more pointed than the other.) The typical penis cross section tends more towards the shape of an ellipse, which is a regular oval.

... For instance, an object that was 3 inches in diameter but only a half inch thick would have an approximate circumference of 7 inches. An object that is more cylindrical, say 2.25" in diameter, would also have a circumference of 7 inches. If you were to look at diameter, the one seems bigger than the other, when in fact the volume is the same.

A rectangle that is 3 inches by 1/2 inch would have a "circumference" (in the most general sense) of 7 inches, an ellipse or ovoid shape with those dimensions would have substantially less than 7 inches circumference.

As for cross-sectional area (to determine volume) the area enclosed by an ellipse is ∏ab, where a and b are one-half of the ellipse's major and minor axes respectively. So your 3 inch by 1/2 inch penis would have less than one-fourth the volume of the same length 2.25" cylindrical penis (1.18 vs. 4 square inches of cross-sectional area.) To have the same volume as the cylindrical penis with a 2.25 inch diameter a penis that is 3 inches wide would have to be 1.04 inches thick.

Do the math.

D_Coulport_Colondump

Experimental Member
Media
I'll have to disagree with MeatPackingBubba on the following particulars:

Not really ovoid, as ovoid means an irregular oval (one end more pointed than the other.) The typical penis cross section tends more towards the shape of an ellipse, which is a regular oval.

A rectangle that is 3 inches by 1/2 inch would have a "circumference" (in the most general sense) of 7 inches, an ellipse or ovoid shape with those dimensions would have substantially less than 7 inches circumference.

As for cross-sectional area (to determine volume) the area enclosed by an ellipse is ∏ab, where a and b are one-half of the ellipse's major and minor axes respectively. So your 3 inch by 1/2 inch penis would have less than one-fourth the volume of the same length 2.25" cylindrical penis (1.18 vs. 4 square inches of cross-sectional area.) To have the same volume as the cylindrical penis with a 2.25 inch diameter a penis that is 3 inches wide would have to be 1.04 inches thick.

Do the math.

I feel like I'm back in math class!!