Give up Dairy?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Abraham Slinkin, Apr 26, 2011.

1. D_Abraham Slinkin

D_Abraham Slinkin Account Disabled

I've decided to give up dairy products, I've always had bad indigestion, get colds loads, sore throats to name a few symptoms - Been tested for Gluten Intolerance before but never Lactose Intolerance - here in the UK its much much rarer than in the US so I don't think it's even usually considered by most doctors.

Anyway, who else has given up dairy products? Why did you? Did it improve your health? Also I hear Dairy is one of the things which makes semen taste bad, added bonus of giving it up ;)?

2. Drifterwood

Gold Member

The calcium in dairy actually helps you to digest fat, without it, you get fatter. A healthy balanced diet should include dairy with, of course, all things in moderation.

Try pineapple.

3. lucidbass

lucidbass New Member

It's not nescessary. I eat fat yoghurt in the morning, the fats are good, but digest dairy is something our stomachs simply aren't made for.

I don't think it's AWFUL for you, but it's definitely not necessary.

4. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    There is a difference between milk allergy and lactose intolerance. Try yogurt and cultured buttermilk and look carefully at the ingredients list of all sweets, and baked goods for dairy ingredients that are not yogurt for a couple of weeks. See if your digestion gets better. If not, it's not a lactose intolerance. Lactose intolerant people like me and my family have absolutely no trouble with yogurt and natural cheeses (not processed cheeses like babybel and velveeta) due to the simple fact that the lactose is concentrated in the whey. Butter has none either.

Vegans will go on about how we are robbing the baby cows, but after millenia of domestication, dairy cows are horribly uncomfortable if they aren't milked. It would be cruel not to.

It's true that dairy products encourage phlegm, but so do sweets.

If you do find you're lactose intolerant, you join 30% of the human race in that. But it doesn't mean giving up dairy entirely unless you choose.

5. D_Abraham Slinkin

D_Abraham Slinkin Account Disabled

Soy Milk has added calcium and a higher calcium content than Milk.

It's only been 4 days but my digestion seems to have improved greatly already.

6. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    May it continue to do so! We like soymilk too, especially chocolate. :tongue:

7. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    dairy holds fat on you. Cut dairy out of your diet and watch your body fat slowly melt away.

<------ picture taken dairy and red meat free for one month at the time

8. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Sorry, this is simply incorrect.

A lower fat diet yes, but dairy is known to help you digest other fats in your diet. Of course if you don't have them, then you need it less. You need a balanced diet. How you get that of course is a matter of choice.

9. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    lol, whatever you say bud. What exactly is a balanced diet, and says whom? You need diary to digest other fats in your diet? Sounds absurd.

10. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Calcium and Weight Loss - How Eating Calcium Helps with Weight Loss

The eight foods that will help you lose weight | Mail Online

Dairy Foods To Help You Lose Weight | LIVESTRONG.COM

It does go against conventional wisdom, but then they also now know that protein is a great hunger inhibitor; there was something to the Atkins, though I wouldn't recommend it.

11. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Calcium and Weight Loss - How Eating Calcium Helps with Weight Loss

The eight foods that will help you lose weight | Mail Online

Dairy Foods To Help You Lose Weight | LIVESTRONG.COM

It does go against conventional wisdom, but then they also now know that protein is a great hunger inhibitor; there was something to the Atkins, though I wouldn't recommend it.

12. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Do me a favor, cut dairy out of your diet completely and record the results and what happens to your body. You can get calcium etc from supplements you don't have to drink milk and eat cheese.

that list of 8 foods is a joke. It includes milk, cereal, and low calorie drinks? If you want to really lose weight you just drink water, not diet coke. Really, drink diet coke instead of water to lose weight? And cereal is processed crap. You ever see "The Corporation"? You see what goes into making milk?

#12 Skull Mason, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  13. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Actually I go between a western diet and a chinese diet all the time. When in China I definitely miss the protein and the dairy, but I like the low fat from the chinese and the spicier options. You also have to try hard to get five a day in China.

There's a difference between losing weight (you are right on how to do that) and maintaining a healthy balanced diet.

14. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Word. I went to Japan for a few weeks and didn't see one obese person.

15. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

A number of studies have shown that taking in calcium through consumption of dairy products gives the body less calcium than taking it in through consumption of leafy green vegetables.
    There's not much calcium in leafy green vegetables, but the body absorbs most of it.
    When the body is using dairy products, it produces a lot of sulfur as a byproduct, which the body has to leach out. But in leaching it out, it loses a lot of calcium.
    The leafy green vegetables give you a higher net absorption of calcium
    So if you want to have a healthy calcium intake, don't resort to dairy products to achieve it.
    Unless I'm full of shit. Helgaleena, help me.

16. Drifterwood

Gold Member

In China and Hong Kong, I have to say that the expansion of Burgers, Fried Chicken and Pizza is taking it's toll.

17. Redwyvre

Gold Member

Albums:
    What's this about dairy products making semen taste bad?

18. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah so I hear. A friend of mine goes over there every other month or so and gets absolutely NO exercise and it seems it is the norm over there now. Too many people, pollution and what not. I think he's in Beijing. By the way I was in Japan about 10 years ago so things could have changed there. Damn, time flies.

#18 Skull Mason, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  19. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

^^^^^^^^^^
    The only exercise I ever saw in Hong Kong was Tai Chi.
    I never saw any aerobics at all.

20. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    But that is what everyone is full of--!

It is true that leafy greens are a fine source of calcium, but they are not equally easy to use. And many greens are high in oxalic acid which will bind up more calcium than the leaf source contains. Spinach is a great example-- high in calcium but most of it blocked by the natural oxalates. It's why it's so often served with cheese --in India the great dish is cheese curd and greens--saag paniir.

The best source of unbound leafy calcium is collards and kale, from the cabbage family, but that family also is high in sulfur, hence the gas. It's easier to assimilate in the form of kraut or kimchee, too, sort of a plant yogurt.

I say, get the best of both by eating fermented lowfat dairy products and pickled greens. We and the cows will both produce methane.

Draft saved Draft deleted