Giving blood - my views

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's illegal in the US to sell body parts. Blood, I presume, qualifies.

Remarks like this make me realize that civics really is dead in the US of A.

Blood plasma can be sold. I don't know about whole blood. They won't let me sell plasma though because my veins are too small! I'm going through some tough financial times and was looking into that...

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why is it that a gay or bisexual man who practises safe sex is not allowed to give blood?
Surely they test the blood first to find out if you have any diseases or whatever, so whats the problem?
Don't know about the UK but this has been law in the USA for about 20 years now.
Do they presume that every man of that inclination sleeps around and doesn't use protection? If so then that is very prejudiced.
Yes and yes. Then
they go and complain that there aren't enough blood donors.:rolleyes: If they let gay and bisexual men give blood they probably wouldn't be in such a pickle.
True, but then they would have to actually test every drop of blood donated. If they are like the USA they have neither the equipment nor manpower to do so.

The reason I am writing this is that I have a rare blood type and therefore I think I should give blood. Due to my having protected sex with another man just over a year ago, I can't. This issue pisses me off more than anything ever has. I'm sorry for the rant, it is now over.
:eek:fftopic: What's a young stud like yourself doing go without for an entire year? :confused:

Unfortunately there is at least a 3 week lag between exposure to hiv and it showing up in your blood, so a clean bill of health on the day that you donate doesn't mean a thing.
YIKES! I didn't know that.:eek:

don't blame the blood banks; it's a federal (USA) requirement.
I was going to mention that. This is old news.

Yes I am ManlyBanisters.
Another odd thing is that I can donate my organs after I die. Me thinks the NHS is a little hypocritical on occasion.
Or perhaps they just don't understand that blood pumps through the heart and all other organs. . . :rolleyes::tongue::confused:

Several months ago, they had four transplant patients in Chicago get both HIV and Hep C from an organ donor whose blood tested clean, specifically because of that three week lag. I don't know that the donor was gay or not, but it doesn't really matter. I, too, think the rule is shit. If you are having sex, you are at risk, in my opinion. I don't think your sexual orientation should play a role.
I heard about that! :eek: I'd be royally f'ing pissed if me or mine had received blood tainted by anything.

It's not rational and goes back to the anti-gay HIV hysteria of the 80s. Epidemiologically, it would probably make more sense to exclude African American and Latina women. Let's see how well that would fly.
True, but that gets back to the original prejudice. Men lying about having gay sex. Why do you think the rate of HIV infection is so high in those two groups? :rolleyes::confused:
Plus, there are other blood-borne diseases out there that they aren't even paying attention to. The CDC reoirts that there were around 20,000 cases of Lyme disease reported in 2005 (I think it was). This number is thought to represent under-reporting by a factor of (drum roll, please) TEN. It doesn't generally kill you, right off the bat, but will definately make you sick the rest of your life if not aggressively treated in the first year. Believe me, I know.
Dave
I'm from New Jersey which had some of the highest rates of Lyme Disease in the nation in the late 80's and early 90's. Many of my friends and church members still suffer today from that damned disease. It's often difficult to diagnose until it's done irreparable damage. I don't envy you if you have Lyme's.

Less than a 10th of the western population has my blood type, not allowing me to donate is bloody stupid.
What is your blood type and why is it so rare?

Doesn't everyone pay you for blood? I thought that was the standard. And by saying you have a "universal donor blood type", I presume that means you have type O-... I have that as well. But recent studies have shown that it is not universal, and more studies are being done to find out exactly why it isn't universal in all people. But anyway. That's beside the point.
I have only given blood 3 or 4 times each time at a blood drive at school or work and was never paid. I thought that was just something they did in the movies. :confused:

penandpencil

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i have never donated blood and i probably will never do it... i would think that TONS and TONS of gay/bi people lie about their sexual orientation.... it is soo stupid they have this ban. Does it exist only in the US, Canada and UK?

So do you or don't you get paid to donate blood in the USA, or is it just something in the movies like NJ said?

Blood, no, although I have heard of the Red Cross offering payment in the form of coupons or vouchers from local businesses who donate for blood drives.

Plasma, yes. Plasma clinics are usually found across the street from the pawn shop, next to the Colortyme, not far from the discount liquor shop.

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
I was almost outed at work in 1990 during a company-sponsored blood drive. I was hassled incessantly for weeks to donate by the HR dept. and my own boss. I had to make up some lameass story about a needle phobia (and needles don't bother me unless they're super huge).

I'll just say this: we know a lot more about HIV now than we did then. The atmosphere was stifling, and it caused me to go get my first STD/HIV screen at age 23. Which I've done at least twice a year, if not more, since.

So - having not been near a blood bank in ages: if I'm not mistaken, aren't tattoo owners excluded from donating, as well as IV users?

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was almost outed at work in 1990 during a company-sponsored blood drive. I was hassled incessantly for weeks to donate by the HR dept. and my own boss. I had to make up some lameass story about a needle phobia (and needles don't bother me unless they're super huge).

I'll just say this: we know a lot more about HIV now than we did then. The atmosphere was stifling, and it caused me to go get my first STD/HIV screen at age 23. Which I've done at least twice a year, if not more, since.

So - having not been near a blood bank in ages: if I'm not mistaken, aren't tattoo owners excluded from donating, as well as IV users?

Tattoo owners have not been excluded, I don't think, but there has to be so much time passed since you have received one. (I want to say six months, but I could very well be wrong.) I'm pretty sure that IV users have been excluded, though.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Does semen count as a body part? Do semen donors get paid?
Sperm donors get paid; and quite handsomely too from what I understand. Actually Jovial a man like yourself would be a prime candidate. You may want to look into that ... :wink:

Why not just say you are severly anemic? The last time I went to donate blood they almost couldn't take my blood because I was borderline anemic.:redface:

Or that you've had malaria. That's another exclusionary factor.

Why should I have to lie in the first place? When I take responsibility for my actions? Why can't I expect the blood collection process to be more tightly controlled?

Why do I have to be singled out as a gay man? Again?

Thank you

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Blood, I presume, qualifies.

Volunteer blood banks including the Red Cross neither pay for blood nor sell blood. Commercially run blood banks may pay donors. I'm sure you've heard about drunks selling their blood for $5 to go buy another bottle.

Non-profits do have a processing charge which goes to pay for the sophisticated procedures to draw blood, preserve it, and make it available for use.

Those who choose not (i.e. refuse) to donate blood should not be able to receive blood when they are hospitalized.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
NJQT wrote:
I'm from New Jersey which had some of the highest rates of Lyme Disease in the nation in the late 80's and early 90's. Many of my friends and church members still suffer today from that damned disease. It's often difficult to diagnose until it's done irreparable damage. I don't envy you if you have Lyme's.
Yup! Had it since, at least, 1992, undiagnosed and untreated until 2003. Actually, my recovery into stable remission has been quite good. It's all done with medicine, which I expect to have to take the rest of my life, but at least it has worked and given me a second chance. My doctor says that I have had the best response to treatment he has seen.
Dave

P.S. Watch out for ticks!

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

IMHO, it's against the law to coerce someone into giving a body part, like blood. Your HR department and your own boss should be more careful.

I remember after 9/11 when supplies were allegedly low, they had a blood drive in my corporate workplace. Most people don't know that you can't give blood if you've had sex with a man. I was out at work. I still didn't want my co-workers knowing that that was the reason why I can't give blood. So I use a sob excuse, that may or may not be legitimate, that I had a rare condition that was a pre-stage to lymphoma, so I say they wouldn't want my blood.

Now I read above that since I'm immune to Hep B because of having been exposed (and never knowing it) I can say that I've been exposed to Hep B and avoid the whole "Are you gay?" business. Oh joy, oh bliss.

By the way, all medical information is federally protected information under HIPAA. Your employer has NO BUSINESS in forcing you to take part in a medical procedure (blood donation is a medical procedure) because that could compromise your privacy under HIPAA regulations. They can have blood drives, coercion to make an employee participate is illegal and they should watch their asses because HIPAA fines are no joke! :mad:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Those who choose not (i.e. refuse) to donate blood should not be able to receive blood when they are hospitalized.

And how do you tell those who refuse from those are medically excluded and those who are 'socially' excluded (e.g. gay men)?

What is a doctor going to do when you're bleeding to death on her/his operating table - "Excuse me, nurse, could you go and check if this person has ever given blood and if not, why not - what do you mean what's his social security number - I don't even know his name, came in from an RTA five minutes ago and will die of exsanguination in about another 5 - hop to it!".

Or in other words, what a stupid remark.

B_LittlePrincess

Sexy Member
Media
Based in Copenhagen - Please no PMs with empty pro
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why is it that a gay or bisexual man who practises safe sex is not allowed to give blood?
Surely they test the blood first to find out if you have any diseases or whatever, so whats the problem?
Do they presume that every man of that inclination sleeps around and doesn't use protection? If so then that is very prejudiced. Then they go and complain that there aren't enough blood donors. If they let gay and bisexual men give blood they probably wouldn't be in such a pickle.
The reason I am writing this is that I have a rare blood type and therefore I think I should give blood. Due to my having protected sex with another man just over a year ago, I can't. This issue pisses me off more than anything ever has.

I'm sorry for the rant, it is now over.

Aren't gays allowed to in England???:eek:

No such thing here - everyone is able to give blood and all the blood is screening anyway, so how come they shouldn't be allowed to... It's a strange world...

seahorses

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That's it! Stick it to "da man" transformer_99! I agree. If you're in the USA make 'em pay!

Every time I've had surgery (thankfully, knowing in advance) I've put a few homologous pints of my own blood on ice just in case. Just because I can't donate blood to strangers doesn't prevent me from giving it to myself. This practice was first recommended by my non-USA surgeon when he pulled my gall bladder out through my belly button. "You never know, Mr. Midlife. Accidents happen and it's better to be safe." True, true . . . so true. I've done it twice since then. If they don't use the blood it's tossed out as wet waste.
I thought they made black pudding out of it and served it up to patience for breakfast?

It's illegal in the US to sell body parts. Blood, I presume, qualifies.

I don’t know about now, but when I served H.M. Liz 2 in Berlin they paid donors there. We received 20DM; a sandwich made from black rye bread with a filling of salami type meat and salad in mayo and a bottle of beer. Plus you got a return ticket to use on the underground - everywhere could be reached by underground. You may wonder why the return ticket and the reason was because you might have spent your 20DM before your next visit and possibly couldn’t afford the fair, but if you had half a return ticket, problem solved.

We squadies didn’t really do it for the money, it was a legitimate way of skiving off and just having the crack with a few pretty nurses; it helped relieve the pressure of knowing Ivan the terrible lurked just behind the wall.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So do you or don't you get paid to donate blood in the USA, or is it just something in the movies like NJ said?

Blood, no, although I have heard of the Red Cross offering payment in the form of coupons or vouchers from local businesses who donate for blood drives.

Plasma, yes. Plasma clinics are usually found across the street from the pawn shop, next to the Colortyme, not far from the discount liquor shop.

Jason is right. Plasma, yes and the centers that pay for the plasma are usually in the lower areas of the downtown district with the Colortyme, pawn shop, and dive bars.

As for pay blood, Jason is right to a degree. What a lot of people confuse as "paying for donating" is actually blood banking in it's truest form. Years back when some idiot was being tried for maliciously sleeping with people in the attempt to pass the AIDS virus along (the idiot was tried and convicted of murder), In some major cities smaller centers started to appear to service individuals who wanted to bank their own blood in the event they needed blood for a surgery or something like that. These centers charged a fee for managing an individuals personal supply of blood. These centers never put the blood they recieved out for public consumption. I'm not sure if they are still around, but they were a reaction to a perceived threat that, IMHO, never really existed.

Does semen count as a body part? Do semen donors get paid?

In some cases, semen donors do get paid. As to whether it counts as a body part? If it does, then trillions of "body parts" have been flushed, spilled or swallowed. We should be careful, the morality police will arrest us all for improper disposal of a body part the next time we get a blowjob. :wink:

And I can already answer this one: because there is a large chunk of the gay population that doesn't take responsibility seriously.

I still do not think it is fair to say it is just the gay populous. I still stand behind my earlier statement that the gay community is a lot more cognizant and responsible when it comes to safe sex and and not spreading disease. It is just people in general who don't take this responsibility seriously whether it be due to denial or just damn stupidity.