Giving blood - my views

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's illegal in the US to sell body parts. Blood, I presume, qualifies.

Remarks like this make me realize that civics really is dead in the US of A.
you can sell your blood.......they extract the plasma out of it and make clotting factors for hemophiliacs:(all of whom contracted HIV before they realized the impact og HIV)

How To Sell Plasma | eHow.com

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Doesn't everyone pay you for blood? I thought that was the standard. And by saying you have a "universal donor blood type", I presume that means you have type O-... I have that as well. But recent studies have shown that it is not universal, and more studies are being done to find out exactly why it isn't universal in all people. But anyway. That's beside the point.

Blood typing's a bit more complicated than ABO and Rhesus. There are a load of other factors like Kell, Duffy and S/s as well which don't cause as strong a reaction. They tend to be ignored in most cases, but can be significant.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Getting paid for their blood is often a regular and welcome source of income to street people in the US, with an economic incentive to not be entirely forthcoming about risk behavior.

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
I still do not think it is fair to say it is just the gay populous.
Just as it is unfair for homosexuals to be singled out when:

...the accuracy of HIV screens has improved by several orders of magnitude. The ability to screen for HIV is so close to 100% accurate today that if the ban were lifted, the number of HIV-tainted pints of blood that slipped through the screening process would increase by only three per century.

This only serves to prove the deep seated distrust of homosexuals in general society.

Osiris, you have only toyed with homosexuality. Some of us have to live with this shit every day. I am fortunate to be able to still interact with guys half my age, and I am appalled how barebacking is considered SOP in almost every first encounter.

And don't think my shit doesn't stink, because I do commit the act myself - while I insist on a condom in the early stages of a relationship (however long or short) for anything involving anal, I don't insist on one for oral in the same context.

And yeah - straight folks bareback every day, and still get to escape scrutinization. But all that doesn't address the inference (as I took it) of this thread - why, in this day, are gays still singled out.

Add meth users (with their requisite loss of judgment), looking for ass breeding for days on end, to the still too common perception in youth that barebacking is OK in casual encounters, and you might see my "large chunk of gay population not acting responsibly" in a different light.

Add to that the popularity of poppers/nitrates (which is murder on one's immune system - IIRC, a large contributor to why HIV numbers were skewed towards gays for a long time)... lessee, what else am I missing...

eh. My point is made.

penandpencil

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i wonder how many people lie about the m2m stuff when donating blood....
so, does blood get screened for hiv and other disseases or do they just take your word for granted?