Giving kids "different" haircuts.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Do you think that it's wrong to do something a bit wild with a child's hair? Mohawks, dying it pink, etc? I guess this would be aimed towards children under 10...

I know that adults often get judged based on their appearance, and I know several people who wouldn't feel comfortable approaching another adult who had a blue mohawk or something, but do you feel that children will get judged and treated differently in the same manner, or do you think that most people wouldn't care because "they're just kids?"

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think adults will judge and keep it silent, but I think someother kids may pick at the diffrences.

People always say "Kids are cruel" (Though I think adults are just as cruel)

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think adults are likely to think 'that kids got a daft parent' but keep their mouths shut, the child's friends could go either way, they could pick on him or they could decide he's the coolest kid in the class. I believe in giving kids choices when it's reasonable, its the only way they learn to take responsibility and be independent.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think adults are likely to think 'that kids got a daft parent' but keep their mouths shut, the child's friends could go either way, they could pick on him or they could decide he's the coolest kid in the class. I believe in giving kids choices when it's reasonable, its the only way they learn to take responsibility and be independent.

You didn't point out that it was the kids choice (Or I'm blind [50% chance :tongue: ]) If its his choice I would say let it go, you're teaching.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh dear Lord!
What have you done to your sons hair?!?! :eek:

I would question the brain capacity and sanity of the parent who allowed a young child to do something like that. As for other kids they will either love it, hate it, or not notice. Be rest assured his peers will voice their opinions loudly and often.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Meg didn't point out that it was the kid's choice, I was being an assumer there. If it was the parent wanting to do something unusual with their child's hair that's wrong, if it's the kid's choice it's something a parent has to consider, kids have a right to make choices for themselves if they know what the choice involves.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You didn't point out that it was the kids choice (Or I'm blind [50% chance :tongue: ]) If its his choice I would say let it go, you're teaching.

Good point. Yes, the child said that they wanted that hairstyle, and the parent agreed that it was okay.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Meg didn't point out that it was the kid's choice, I was being an assumer there. If it was the parent wanting to do something unusual with their child's hair that's wrong, if it's the kid's choice it's something a parent has to consider, kids have a right to make choices for themselves if they know what the choice involves.

I must be more tired then I thought, I thought you were the OP :redface:

I would say letting the kid choose is fine but forcing a strange "dew" on him would be mean...

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's ok with me meg, if the child asked for it and the parent pointed out that his friends might make fun of him, it's part of the process of growing up bearing in mind that what's ok for a 8 year old to make decisions about isn't ok for a 5 year old.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My son has been asking for a mohawk since he was two. (Yes, seriously... he used to get confused and call it a peacock, it was cute as hell.) So, I gave in today and let him get one. I think it looks awesome, personally. :biggrin: And he absolutely loves it. And if worse comes to worse and he ends up hating it, we'll just buzz it off. No harm, no foul.

I guess I should add that my son is 6 years old, and in first grade.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree with what you've done meg, he's been asking for a long time, he's at the age where he's old enough to realise that that was his decision, his friends will probably think he's the coolest kid and you're the coolest mum, their mums will probably think you're a bit daft but part of being a parent is gradually letting go of the reins and equipping kids to make adult choices.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's ok with me meg, if the child asked for it and the parent pointed out that his friends might make fun of him, it's part of the process of growing up bearing in mind that what's ok for a 8 year old to make decisions about isn't ok for a 5 year old.

As always you say what I think more eloquently than I can.

My son has been asking for a mohawk since he was two. (Yes, seriously... he used to get confused and call it a peacock, it was cute as hell.) So, I gave in today and let him get one. I think it looks awesome, personally. :biggrin: And he absolutely loves it. And if worse comes to worse and he ends up hating it, we'll just buzz it off. No harm, no foul.

I think it's cool. It's hair, not a facial tattoo. If he comes home crying, it's a teaching moment for you and your son. Wearing his hair well will be more about charisma and how he reacts to others than the hair itself anyway.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I would say letting the kid choose is fine but forcing a strange "dew" on him would be mean...
Agreed!

I guess it's fine as long as he asked for it and you didn't just decide that would be his new school look. :smile: Cause that would be cruel.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I agree with what you've done meg, he's been asking for a long time, he's at the age where he's old enough to realise that that was his decision, his friends will probably think he's the coolest kid and you're the coolest mum, their mums will probably think you're a bit daft but part of being a parent is gradually letting go of the reins and equipping kids to make adult choices.

I've always felt strongly about letting children make as many choices for themselves as possible. I think if they learn decision-making skills when they're young, it'll help them a lot when they're older. I have friends who weren't allowed to make decisions as kids, and I see how they've turned out now and it's a bit scary! I knew a guy once whose mom didn't even let him pick out his own clothes. She would just go shopping without him and bring him home some clothes, and that's what he would wear. As an adult, he was terrible at making decisions, and had a hard time making it through life because he kept going down dead-end streets due to lack of decision-making skills. I was always allowed to dress myself, pick out my own clothes, pick out my own bedding, pick my hairstyles, etc. I feel that I have a pretty good head on my shoulders, and people have been telling me that since I was about 10 years old. There were times where I made bad decisions, and I learned from them. That in and of itself is SO important! (One hair lesson I learned when I was 7 years old... I look terrible with a bowl cut. :biggrin: )

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Do you think that it's wrong to do something a bit wild with a child's hair? Mohawks, dying it pink, etc? I guess this would be aimed towards children under 10...

I know that adults often get judged based on their appearance, and I know several people who wouldn't feel comfortable approaching another adult who had a blue mohawk or something, but do you feel that children will get judged and treated differently in the same manner, or do you think that most people wouldn't care because "they're just kids?"

Adults won't judge them as harshly as other kids.

I'd say it's fine as long as it's what the kid wants. Most kids just want to fit in. Individuality should be encouraged.

That said, it might be wise to advise them what exactly they are getting themselves into. This kid at my elementary school wanted and was allowed to get a mohawk. After getting the mohawk, he was so embarrassed he never came to school without a hat. I guess he learned a lesson about being careful what you wish for.

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I agree wholeheartedly, kids need a gradual loosening of the reins. Taking responsibility for one's actions is a very important part of growing up.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A lot of kids are given no choice then suddenly one day they're considered adults and expected to make adult choices for themselves and don't know where to begin when it comes to making decisions, you have to prepare your kids to be adults and letting them make choices that are appropriate for their ages is part of this. I always let my kids make choices about their clothes, how they wanted their bedrooms decorated, some choice about what they wanted to watch on tv and choices about outings. Some of their clothes choices were hilarious but it's all part of the learning process.