Giving up Smoking HELP

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by iian1972, Dec 19, 2007.

1. iian1972

iian1972 Active Member

Albums:
    Hi All

I am go to try to give up smoking for the new year.

My question to all you ex smokers is how. I would be very greatful to here which methods worked for you and how hard you found it.

I am 35 and have been smoking for 20 years and hate it. But hating it does not stop me smoking.

Thanks in advance for any information guys.

Iian

2. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Congratulations! Anyone, I repeat, anyone can stop but only if they want to. I smoked for years until about 19 years ago. I made up my mind I was going to quit and did.

3. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Hi iian1972. I feel your pain. I woke up last Feb 19 and hated the way smoking tasted, smelled and made me feel. I haven't had a cigarette since. I just decided to quit in that moment For me it was easy but I realize for most it's not. I had smoked for 10 years. There are tons of ways to go about it...I'm sure you're aware of them all. I truly believe the only way to quit is to really want to. The mind clicks over and it becomes your new reality. Talking about it, weening off it doesn't help unless you really want to quit. It sounds like you've already gotten to the point of hating it. Discipline and self control are the only way to end it now. Trust me...you'll love yourself for it later. Good Luck...

4. iian1972

iian1972 Active Member

Albums:
    Thanks stretch how long did it take for you craving to go away.

5. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Truthfully...from that moment. That did surprise me. I really woke up that day sick of it. I still actually had 2 packs laying around. After about 5 days or so I just gave them away. I'm a musician, I've been working in Europe for years now so I'm around smokers all the time and I haven't been tempted once since I quit. I thought it would be hard by gigs, in the pubs drinking, after meals, blah, blah, blah...I also got sick of meat almost 30 years ago, became vegetarian and haven't eaten anything with a face since then. No that's not true...fish do have faces...:smile: Be strong

6. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Im an ex smoker and glad of it. I used to smoke 10 a day for only about 6 or 7 years but quit in 04 and havent as much as had a toke since.

Nothing special required, just a burning will to do it thats stronger than the need for a fag and take it one day at a time. It can be done and im proof of it.

I basically got so hammered at a party that the next day, just the thought of a fag make be bark and before i knew it, i realised id gone a whole day without a ciggy. That got me thinking, if i could do one, could i do two and now here i am nearly 4 years later.

The killer for me was it used to break up my day at work, little 10 minute breaks every now and again. I found that if u take a walk for the same amount of time and always play with a pencil in your fingers, you soon adapt.

Fight it, each one you smoke now is a day less you'll live.

Its not easy, in fact it can be fucking difficult, but it can be done.

I wish you all the best.

7. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Plus smoking does make your cock shrink!

8. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Ive never smoked my friend, but from all ive heard New Years is one of the worst times to quit because people usually make NYs decision at the spur of the moment, what ive read about smoking cessation classes you need to make a plan as to a date to quit.

If you have done this then it doesnt pertain to you, Good Luck!

9. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    I used to be a foot long, now look at me, lol.

10. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Monsters right, i has to come from a desire to give it up for yourself, not cos if for new years.

Bravo Monster.

11. RedScrotum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    you are either a smoker, or you're not a smoker. you decide

12. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I'm currently trying to quit smoking, but like Stretch, it's mostly because I simply don't want to anymore. The only thing about it that's making this difficult is stress. I only smoke one or two cigarettes a day, if that, but when I get stressed, it's all I know how to do. Ble.

13. BigDuder

BigDuder New Member

i am trying to quit right now as well. i hate that quitting makes me act like a huge prick to everyone i meet for about a week whenever i do it.

14. JamieBoy

JamieBoy New Member

3 Weeks smoke-free!!!!!

Tough, tough, though - but worth it in due time - (I hope).

Started off on a drug - (called Zyban here?) It seemed to take the edge off for a while BUT it seemed to bring on really nasty depressive feelings late at night, so I stopped that last week.

From the collective social advice that I have been inundated with, it seems like 6 weeks is the magic marker. Also another helpful suggestion (LOL - from a friends wife!!!) was to get a mild sedative/anti-depressant from the doc, so that everyone can "breathe easier".

Worried about the possible weight-gain as I'm eating everything in sight. MY TAKE - extra energy is being released? Perhaps I should have investigated breath-work / energy transfer / Qui Gong?

Remember, it takes some people as many as 5 attempts, (read that on some website), before they can finally kick it for good. So even if you have a set-back, it's maybe one step closer.

Good luck.

15. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Its worth the fight though. I dont think there are any easy ways to do it. Personnally, patches burned my skin, gum made me bark, i was about to try hypno, but fortunatly discovered my will power.

There is most definalty a feeling attached to accomplishing something hard through the power of your will alone, i feel it makes you stronger as a person.

Good folk of LPSG, it can be done.

16. thickasurwrist

thickasurwrist New Member

True story. I quit smoking New Year's Eve, 1993. I smoked as many as I could that night...not quite chain smoking, but almost one after the other (drank a lot of Champagne too). On New year's Day I could hardly breathe and my lungs didn't clear out for about a week. By then I lost most of my cravings, and I never went back. I also found that keeping part of a toothpick stashed up in my cheek, next to my gums, helped aleviate the oral compulsion habit. Good luck, YOU CAN DO IT!

17. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Smoked for about 13 years - been a non-smoker for the last 6 and a bit.

Have to be honest, the cravings never go away, IME - they just get fewer and further between. I have bad patches, but I can go months without evening remembering I used to smoke. My grandmother was off them 25 years when she told me she still got cravings - just gotta live with it.

As for how to quit - everyone is different. It seems to boil down to bare-arsed will power in most cases. My father made himself eat a radish everytime he got a cigarette craving :confused: (not sure if that was meant to be negative association thing or not) and munched low-salt popcorn with his beer instead of having a smoke for the first year he was off them. Me, I just quit and gritted my teeth.

Hope you find something that works. Good luck!

18. beretta8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I tried the hypnosis path. I didn't smoke for 10 months. Its was actually a smooth transition for me, I didn't have the compulsion and wasn't nasty to anyone. What they do is get you into a calm state, tell you nasty stories of what the nicotine and tar do to your body........give you positive suggestions and slip a little talk in about not needing to overeat to compensate for not smoking......what it boils down to is WANTING to quit...its your choice....It is difficult but you can do it.....oh yeah I will be quitting in the new year also...what a waste of money

19. beretta8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Who notices breathing until it can't be done

20. ryguyga80

ryguyga80 New Member

I quit a little over two weeks ago using Chantix (called Champix in the UK). It's been surprisingly easy for me (aside from the first few days). I know I've only been quit two weeks, but the Chantix has really seemed to help.

You read a lot about the bad side effects from Chantix and people going crazy from it. All the stories I read about awful side effects were when people drank a lot of alcohol, which I seldom do. For me I only got a little nausea. It went away after I stopped smoking and hasn't returned.

Draft saved Draft deleted