Giving up Smoking HELP

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I quite the day I found out someone i dearly loved had got lung cancer.

the person had smoked for 65 years, and the day i found out, i had one last cig, crumpled up my pack and threw it in the garbage. I watched this person go through chemo and radiation and die an excruciating death about year later.

I quit Cold turkey.

I was nearly 30 at the time, and had smoked since i was 15...i never had tried to quit before and used to love everything about smoking. I am not much of a drinker so smoking was my main vice.

when i decided to quite i was up to just under 2 packs a day, and it was really starting to effect me I believed.

the first few weeks and months were utterly brutal from a craving standpoint (both physically and mentally)...and to be honest it has been 6 years and 4 months since the day i quit cold turkey, and there are certainly times when i think, I'd like one...but it passes quickly, and i have no physical cravings and haven't for years.

Everytime i am around smokers (which is frequent), the next morning i wake up and can barely breathe and my throat hurts, so it shows me just how dangerous it really is as a habit.

Anyway, I would highly recommend these tricks, which helped me immeasurably.

1. Get a lot of exercise...take walks be outside as much as you can.
2. Chew gum, mints/ altoids, tic tacs etc...to give your mouth something to do.
3. keep a lollipop stick, or tooth pick etc. in your mouth, to replace the missing sensation of a cigarette.
4. keep a small cigar around, to just chew on once in a while, you wont smoke it, and it is effective in the first two months or so, just to have it in your mouth.
5. get one of those plastic eggs of silly putty...sounds silly, but it helps immeasurably to have something to do with your hand at all times! You can squeeze the shit out of it when you are feeling tense as well.
6. Most importantly, don't give up! The cravings are ferocious, but you just have to remember that you are stronger then it, and once the physical cravings/addiction has subsided, it becomes a mental fight, and you just have to be stronger, and the craving will subside, they get less frequent and less intense, and pass easier and easier. It no longer will be the first thing you want to do in the morning etc.
7. Try to avoid for the first month or two, situations like going out to bars and parties, just till you are more stable...I waited about a month before I did, and it was brutally tough the first time, but got easier and easier.

cold turkey is the only real way, because once you have beat it completely physically, it is strictly mental...still using nicotine gums or patches means you are still addicted to the drug, which keeps the mental craving strong.

good luck! you can do it!

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
After you do quit, you'll be around someone that their clothes literally stink of smoke, their fingers stained with yellow nicotine and their breath smells worse than shit, you'll wonder why it took you so long to stop.

Primal_Savage

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Flashy gave you a lot of good advice. Rather than quote, I'd carry # 1 regarding exercise just a bit further. If you don't already, join a gym (there are cheap rates to be had), and establish a routine re resistance training and cardio workouts. IOW, replace something bad with something ideal. As he said: "good luck! you can do it!"

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I quit cold turkey, was it easy hell no was it worth it hell YES. I still crave a smoke every once in a while. Advice make your mind up that you are going to quit, set a date to quit, and if you fail try again, and ask your doctor for help, there is new products to help you in stopping.

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
I smoke and want to quit... but part of my problem is that I don't want to fork over the money that would go to Big Tobacco over to Big Pharmaceuticals - replacing one crutch for another.

I have the acquaintance of two people who have quit successfully after having laser treatment. I understand it's simply a case of showing up once or twice, and having them zap a laser in your ear. I am going to look more closely at it after the first of the year.

Maybe I can quit if I just go hang out in the rafters of the local Pink Floyd laser show spectacular :biggrin1:

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
One thing I am doing to help me quit... is I'm smoking cigarettes without inhaling them. I know that sounds stupid, but when you think about it, it kinda makes sense. You're doing everything you would normally do when you smoke, except getting the bad shit into your system. You can see it, smell it, and taste it. It might be a waste of money, but if it helps you to quit, then it'll be cheaper in the long run.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One thing I am doing to help me quit... is I'm smoking cigarettes without inhaling them. I know that sounds stupid, but when you think about it, it kinda makes sense. You're doing everything you would normally do when you smoke, except getting the bad shit into your system. You can see it, smell it, and taste it. It might be a waste of money, but if it helps you to quit, then it'll be cheaper in the long run.

an interesting technique...

but you are still technically inhaling a lot of secondhand smoke, and as a result, the addiction to nicotine is still being fed...so you are not really weaning yourself off the nicotine so much...which is the key.

try just keeping an unlit cigar (or cigarillo) something that you would not light up, in your mouth. you can still taste the tobacco a bit, and it gives you a similar feeling, you never light it, so you can use the same one, and it is not wasting your money.

incidentally, another great thing to do to reward yourself for quitting, is for each day you quit, redeposit how much money you would have saved into a special little piggy bank or something you make...and then every week, by yourself a positive gift with the money you have saved!

sounds a bit corny, but it really gives you something to look forward to...

for example, i do not know how much a pack costs these days, but back when i quit in 2001, i used to buy cartons at an indian reservation since they sell them without tax, and they were still probably $5 a pack...

now they must be like $7 a pack or something...

if you smoke a pack a day...that is about $2,550 per year!!!

thank of what you can do with that!!!

it sounds strange, but you can take a trip to the place where you have always wanted to go...you could do so many things with that money...

when i think of how much money i spend on cigarettes in my life, it probably averaged out to about $30,000!!!!

so that is very important...

each week, or month, set a goal...a gift that you would like to buy yourself, and work towards that!

if you quit smoking for two months, you could probably pay for even a short package luxury cruise if you wanted to! (about $500)

it has to do with being good to yourself, and being proud of yourself. :smile:

DAVANT123

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
dude man, I quite after I woke up one morning after a night of partying and my perscription meds were gone. I asked a couple of my buds and they said that I had swallowed them all!!! I fuckin freaked and said to my self you know I ve had it with all the bullshit...thats all for me!! I never smoke or drank since. your life will get better when you do!!

hung

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hello:

A vital topic. I started smoking at age 21 and enjoyed the habit. In my fifties I noted that my sexual performance was suffering. I even had difficulty achieving/maintaining an erection. I called myself quiting several times. Even made it one month one time.

Now back to the sexual performance issue. I tried a product called rejoyn, which was a sleeve with a condom over it to keep your penis erect enough for insertion. A very clumsy system, but it did help. Finally, one day, I said to myself, I can do this. I laid the open, partially used pack down and quit cold turkey.

I will always remember the day. I will have been smoke free for ten years in the Spring of 2008.

My sexual performance has certainly improved. My erections are stable and I have no difficulty whatsoever with insertion. I feel much better and am very happy that I did have the will power to quit.

Yes, it is difficult, but well worth the results. I just could not face the rest of my life not being able to perform sexually.

That was my motivation.

I wish you well in your journey to be smoke free.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I found that cutting down drastically before giving up helped me, I got a little note book and jotted down the time I'd have a cigarette, I could look at that and think 'Oh I only had one an hour ago', and go a little longer, then when you're down to a couple a day it seems a lot easier to give up. work out the reasons you want to give up - if it's financial then put all the money you'd have spent on cigarettes in a jar so you can see the result of your giving up, if it's health reasons go for walks or do energetic things so you can feel it's making an inprovement to your health.
Work out what it is about cigarettes you like, if it's the whole process of handling a cigarette get one of those fake cigarettes and smoke that, if it's the social side of it then for a while till you get over the cravings don't go out, if you enjoy a cigarette after a meal make sure that as soon as you've finished eating you've planned to do something that will mean you can't have one.

iian1972

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Hi SteveHD

Two days now. Not smoked. Giving up is going well.

Thanks to you all that responded to this thread. Happy new year.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hi SteveHD

Two days now. Not smoked. Giving up is going well.

Thanks to you all that responded to this thread. Happy new year.

Quitting ain't easy! I haven't had a cigarette in about a week now. It's tough. I just occupy my mind with other things so I don't think about smoking. And if I'm craving a cigarette hardcore and the craving won't go away, I'll go ahead and smoke one - I just won't inhale. It helps to calm my nerves some. GOOD LUCK!

piercedjobbie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Smoking is a very difficult (and bad) habit to stop. I stopped roughly 25 years ago and never looked back. However; I did somrthing that later proved a great help in stopping. If you're a coffee drinker like me then this might help you also. Increase your daily intake of coffee and in the morning get some coffee in you ASAP. A clinical technician and psychologist friend of mine told me that there are receptors in the brain that trigger the nicotine "need" and the coffee can turn off the receptors - or at least minimize their effect. I have no idea if it is the caffeine or some other component in the coffee, but give it a try. After about 3 to 4 months you might be able to cut back on the coffee - which also has its own addictive powers. Good Luck. I was smoking 3 packs of Camels (unfiltered) a day.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I smoked when I was young. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant, and haven't smoked since.

A friend of mine recently quit after reading this book. It's out of print and very expensive to buy used copies, but I'm looking for free/cheap copies to give to people who are trying to quit.

Here in California, it's a lot harder to smoke because you can only smoke in private residences or outside.

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have officially been smoking free for a month and a half now. Woo!
Good for you, MamaMeg... I tell myself I need to quit every time I buy a pack of reds... I curse the very day I started smoking those damn things. I WILL try and quit this spring though - AGAIN...:confused:

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I haven't had a smoke in 12 days....I've stopped in the past and gone 2 months without one and had a family emergency, where I was the one responsible for the care of the person having the emergency, and freaked out and started back......things are going well so far....the cravings aren't too bad, its just a matter of getting through those knee jerk reaction incidences.... can anyone tell me how much longer this will go on? also, when will i be able to sleep well again? when do the crazy dreams stop? good luck to all of you quitting this horrible addiction (myself included lol)