Giving up Smoking HELP

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Good for you, MamaMeg... I tell myself I need to quit every time I buy a pack of reds... I curse the very day I started smoking those damn things. I WILL try and quit this spring though - AGAIN...:confused:

Reds? Eek! I was smoking ultra lights. :tongue: Well, I was smoking those at the time I quit. I used to change cigarette flavors almost yearly. You have to want to quit in order to quit. Get yourself psyched up for it! Set a date.

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Reds? Eek! I was smoking ultra lights. :tongue: Well, I was smoking those at the time I quit. I used to change cigarette flavors almost yearly. You have to want to quit in order to quit. Get yourself psyched up for it! Set a date.
Yeah, I smoke reds... *sigh*... but it takes me 3 days to go thru a pack, so it's not too bad (where I am now, it's just before 5 PM and I've only had one cig today so far). Still though, it's not healthy... I'm JUST about at that point where enough's enough, and I'm gonna give it another shot!! Definitely will set a quit-date. Thanks for the good word, MamaMeg!! :smile:

complectus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I stopped smoking after I was bribed. Someone who loves me offered me cash if I could stop - enough for it to be a real incentive, and a real pain if I regressed and had to pay it back. I'd tried nicotine replacement therapies and Zyban (bupropion) tablets before, and they had worked, for a while, but eventually I would "just have one" and a week later I'd be back to a pack-a-day. Wanting first to get the cash and then later to not pay it back (in combination with a second course of Zyban) was enough to stop me taking that single cigarette that would have led inevitably back to addiction.

Maybe I'm just a moneygrubbing whore, but I'm pretty convinced that this strategy, or a variation, could work for alot of people. Perhaps bet someone $1000 that they can't stop & stay off for a year, & accept the same bet for yourself. Choose a pharmaceutical crutch & follow the instructions. After you've finished the quit course, hopefully you both will owe the other $1000, so noone loses any money, & for the next year, there is a painful disincentive against lighting up... After a year, you're much less likely to regress.

Anyway, that worked for me... hope it helps someone else.