Glenn Beck is leaving Fox News

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_VinylBoy, Apr 6, 2011.

1. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Maybe there really is a Santa Claus...
    Glenn Beck announced plans to “transition off” Fox News. In a joint statement, the network and Glenn Beck’s production company announced they will work together to “develop and produce a variety of television projects for air on the FOX News Channel (FNC) as well as content for other platforms.” In the meantime, Beck will “transition off his daily program.” “Glenn Beck is a powerful communicator, a creative entrepreneur and a true success by anybody’s standards,” said Roger Ailes, Chairman and CEO of Fox News. “I look forward to continuing to work with him.”

Glenn Beck's show leaving Fox News | Inside TV | EW.com

2. houtx48

Gold Member

The fake crying must have gotten to much for Rodger Ailes to handle.

3. D_Evita_Zane

D_Evita_Zane New Member

Maybe he'll run for president with the rest of the departing Fox contributors....

4. maxcok

Gold Member

5. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Hard to believe he was a fixture for only a little over two years.
    Maybe CrazyTime is ending.

6. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm sure that we shall continue to hear of him, and from him, by one means or another.

7. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Yeah, but my hunch is his trajectory is downward now.
    Or maybe hope is father to the thought.

8. MisterSix

MisterSix New Member

9. maxcok

Gold Member

What the hell does this have to do with the topic, and what is this "other side" you speak of?

If you want to talk about Al Sharpton or Obama's re-election campaign go start your own damn thread.

:eek:fftopic:

#9 maxcok, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  10. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    im surprised at how glad i am hearing this... considering i dont watch that nut job, so it doesnt really effect me. lol

11. maxcok

Gold Member

I'm sure we will, though I would guess those 'means' will be directed more to his hardcore loyal fan base of Teabaggers and assorted conspiracy theorists now. The main reason Beck and other Fux "News" programs have such high ratings overall is that their viewership tends to stay tuned in all day long never changing channels, regardless of which mouthpiece is spouting propaganda and nonsense. Worth noting too, that viewership skews demographically to very old white men.

In a joint press release with Fux quoting CEO Roger Ailes, Beck's production company has already announced plans for upcoming jointly produced "projects" with the network. Of course he still has his radio show, books, stage shows, Beck "University" and other endeavors to feed the rabidly ignorant and pad his bank accounts.
    We can at least take heart in the fact that he won't be there five nights a week spewing his propaganda and histrionic insanity to the entire inert and gullible Fux audience.

I have little doubt this was anything much more than a financial decision, as is most everything, I believe, that happens within the Murdoch empire (i.e. the significant loss of sponsorship $$ to sustain the nightly program). That's not to say that the politics and the pro-corporate ideology don't factor into the decisions, as that too ultimately feeds the bottom line. Getting rid of the fringiest of the nightly wingnuts may also have the (unintended/intended?) beneficial effect of adding credibility to the ironical "fair and balanced" image of the network overall, which is still a good business decision.

One can hope, but it sounds like wishful thinking to me at this point. The hopeful thing I'm looking for in this development is that we could be seeing the beginnings of "marginalization" of certain personalities on the extreme right which I alluded to in the Michele Bachmann thread. Hopefully, more sensible so-called "conservatives" will start to turn away from the divisive rightwing rhetoric and crazy conspiracy theories to consider seriously the real nuts and bolts problems facing the nation. With the 2012 election shifting into 2nd gear, it's worth noting that no one wins the big prize in this country without appealing to the (right-of-center) 'middle' electorate, so-called "moderates" and "independents".

There's a real struggle going on between the Republicans and the Teabaggers for control and the direction of the party, and it's all coming to a head in the budget battles taking place this very moment. As I predicted, Speaker Boehner more than has his hands full trying to run herd on these obstinate uncompromising idiots.
    And we thought the Repugs were intransigent. HA! After being invited into the "big tent", the lunatics are now determined to run the whole circus, and as far as they're concerned, it's their way or no way. They don't goosestep in a straight line the way the leadership tells them to like good little pachyderms. It's interesting to watch, and so far I'm enjoying the unfolding drama. There's a pretty good chance a showdown between the Teabags and the more traditional Repugs could royally piss off the extreme rightwing base and/or drive more moderate Repub/Independents toward the Democrats, leaving the GOP in utter disarray.

One can only hope.

Stay tuned . . .

#11 maxcok, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  12. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

Beck and the rest of his ilk are a dangerous breed for Conservatives and Liberals both. The public is becoming aware of the extremism that is beginning to become more and more evident within ultra-conservative movement. If the Conservatives are to in fact take the seats in various upcoming elections they must move their party more towards the center. Those on the opposite side must do the same. The extremism is now very visible and is very easy for the other side to use as a target. Beck, O'Reilly, VanSusteren, teabaggers and et. al. are becoming liabilities to the Conservative Movement and the question will be in my mind: Will others with "extremist viewpoints" start to quiet down or disappear at least for a time? If this is the case, it is evidence that somebody is waking up the fact that the part can destroy the whole. There are growing protests at the things that the extreme conservatives are trying to do. Many here are too young to remember the political protests and backlash that took place in the 1960's. The conservatives could lose the whole shooting match if the current trends within that domain continue.

If the teabaggers and the rest do this one really wrong it will mean the election of Democrats from "Sea to Shining Sea" and the individuals with common sense are beginning to see this handwriting on the wall.

Right now, I am absolutely rooting for these extremists and hoping that they manage to completely destroy the Party who had the sad lack of common sense to give them not a voice, but a constant diatribe of lunatic schemes to solve problems that have zero chance of working long term. Actually, the main one I think that has the mouth and lack of brains to destroy her own party is the great Sarah Palin. She simply refuses to die and go away. She has an ability to open her mouth and divide unlike anyone in recent history. Palin is one of the few that can shut her mouth, come more to center and unite her party OR she can continue to be a "publicity whore" and sink her own ship. This is a time that the scribes will be writing really interesting new history.

Sad for all of us.

#12 FuzzyKen, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  13. parr

parr New Member

I'm sure there will be some that will sleep better at night.

14. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Beck become toxic enough for Fox News to take notice and GIVE HIM THE BOOT. If anyone thinks that Beck left of his own accord, you are quite naive.

15. parr

parr New Member

I would have to admit he got a little carried away a times.

16. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Every time I saw his show, I thought he should have been carried way. Straight to Bellevue Hospital. The guy is raving lunatic.

17. tgirlsrgreat

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    i watch him periodically, good to understand the enemy. hasta la vista baby!!

18. houtx48

Gold Member

I don't think he could generate enough main stream sponsors, the ones with the big bucks to spend on advertising, so it was a matter of economics for Faux.

19. Tee&A

Tee&A New Member

'Twas money that killed the beast, my friends; twas money...
    I belong to a non-profit organizaton that began a campaign to can Glenn Beck after he called the President of the United States a "racist". Everyone told us we were crazy. Welll, we raised over half-a-million signatures on a petition that informed GB's sponsors that we would boycott their products if they continued to support his brand of hatemongering and guess what: Crazy works. He's giving up the ghost (as it were).

It is a total victory? No. I haven't gotten any information on his radio show as of yet, and he will still continue on with Fox News as a "consultant" and producer, but he is leaving the airwaves. Good enough for me.

20. Who_Dun_It

Who_Dun_It New Member

A little carried away, he hasn't only been a little carried away since he left CNN!

Draft saved Draft deleted