Glenn Beck's Nazi Tourette's

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Industrialsize, May 16, 2010.

1. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
  2. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

"they came for the jews to kill them, they came for the banks to give them $700m!"

I love the daily show, but find it to not hit hard enough at times. Seeing Glen Beck's show a few times, i think it is a good enough blow.

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Funny, sure...but this is a perfect example of why this forum and political discussion in this country as a whole has gone to shit.

It's a complete ad hominem rant. Black does not address the substance of Beck's specific criticism at all, but spends the entire segment attacking his persona. Instead of addressing what was said, he makes the implication that it lacks validity because Beck was the person who said it.

The fact of the matter is that Glenn Beck was absolutely correct...there is nothing remotely comparable in Arizona's new immigration law to Nazi Germany. Does Beck appear to be a huge hypocrite? Sure...but that doesn't mean he's wrong in this case.

4. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

What substance? That's much of the point, Beck's 'arguments' are themselves devoid of substance.

No, the implication is that Beck's hyperbolic 'arguments' lack validity.

Beck isn't making logical arguments, he is merely entertaining people through a political prism. That many people in his audience make the mistake of buying into his entertainment as if it was a logical argument is the problem... Just like how you're making the same mistake here by judging Black's satire as if it is a logical argument.

It's entertainment. Laugh or don't laugh, but for the love of God, don't be a sucker and pretend any of these people are legitimate pundits. They're entertainers, and that's all they are.

5. B_OtterJoq

B_OtterJoq New Member

Glenn Beck is as un-American as any of the guys who flew jets into the WTC and Pentagon 9 years ago.

It's hard to believe that there are enough morons in the country to make him obscenely wealthy.

6. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    You're doing the same thing, and I'm just not interested. If you're content to disregard out of hand the message that someone might deliver because of who delivers it, that's your choice. Personally, I think it's foolish to do so, as an attack of the man proves nothing vis-à-vis the points of contention.

The specific argument being made, quite correctly in this case, is that there is no valid comparison between Arizona's immigration law and the policies of Nazi Germany.

How would one know from this piece? His argument is never even addressed.

I've not made any such mistake. I know full well what these guys are. My response was to show that this is an illustrative case in point for what actually does pass for political discourse today. The substantive facts are secondary considerations...if people even bother with them at all. More time and energy is expended on attacking the "enemy side's" character, as if that in any way rebuts an argument or advances a counterpoint..

This entire thread actually belongs in the jokes forum, not this one.

7. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    From Glenn Beck, he has said
    "Progressives are Nazis"
    "George Bush was a progressive"

You can then combine the two to get George Bush was a Nazi.
    (Thank you DailyShow! :smile:)

No I don't believe it but man Beck is a laugh a minute in his hysteria-laden, flip-flopping on issues, diatribes.

8. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I tend to agree with you, HG. The validity of Beck's Arizona argument wasn't addressed. But I don't believe that was the intent of the piece. The intent of the piece was to show that Beck continually uses Nazi references and allusions to slam and defame other people's arguments, which he does. And the piece was intended to be funny. Which it was.

9. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'll never understand why so many people get their news and political opinions from a show on Comedy Central except to assume that they are enthralled by Jon Stewart's charisma.

Much as I find it entertaining, in reality The Daily Show is nothing but a counterpoint (with superb research and writers) to Rush Limbaugh. They use the same methodology to polemicize mirror-opposite points of view.

10. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

What is there to know? This 'piece' is from a comedian, working on a comedy show, broadcast on TV network called 'Comedy Central'... Do you take the satire of all entertainers literally?

Furthermore, why would anyone but another entertainer 'address' Beck's 'arguments' anyways? Do you write in to David Letterman and Jay Leno when they make a political joke?

#10 B_talltpaguy, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  11. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm glad to hear someone else finally say this. Whenever I'm in the US and watch some of those shows, I'm struck by how much alike they are in delivery and methodology. Keith Obermann and to a lesser degree Rachel Maddow are not much different than Beck or Hannity. However much I dislike FOX and agree with Obermann and find him entertaining, I can't help but be somewhat embarrassed by him. He stoops down to the same level of ad hominem attack and one-sided facts as Beck.

I sit there with my family and they are all hating on Hannity and then they laugh and agree with everything Obermann says. I keep my mouth shut because it's pointless to argue with my father, but I think they are both doing a disservice to the public. My folks did not use to be so blind to the other side. But now, in their opinion, there is no such thing as a good Republican and they didn't use think that way. I think they watch too much TV. There is very little balance in those programs and they have done a lot to polarize and dumb down political discussion in the US.

#11 vince, May 16, 2010
  12. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

It is extremely amusing, agreed. But I hardly "get [my] news and political opinions" from it.

It is not lost on me, however, that those "superb" researchers and writers and I share many of the same sensibilities. :wink:

#12 B_Nick8, May 16, 2010
  13. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Spot on...

I don't see how a comedian poking fun of the comedic remarks of another entertainer is grounds for a serious political debate. As it relates to this thread, I figured the OP put it here because even political humor would be disruptive in other parts of the forum.

#13 B_talltpaguy, May 16, 2010
  14. exwhyzee

Gold Member

15. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think you guys are missing the point of my even posting in this thread. I know what Beck, Black and Stewart are, and I know what their respective shows are about.

I considered briefly just reporting it as being inappropriate for the Politics forum...but given the recent initiative to refocus this forum, I thought it a good case to illustrate what I see as a huge problem with such discussions, both here and in the broader society.

The underlying message, quite simply, is that posts of this sort don't belong in this forum.

16. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think the reason why Olbermann embarrasses you so is his utter, unrelenting stridency and appalling lack of humor. In that regard he's much like Hannity, Malkin, et al. Much as I agree with the former and loathe the latter two, the fact remains that they use the same techniques to appeal to their respective groups. I get the same reaction to Olbermann myself.

You don't, darling, but many other people do. Again, much as I love Jon Stewart and The Daily Show, calling a comedian "the most trusted newsman in America" sends a shiver down my spine.

17. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Definitely don't disagree with that... However, your initial post was confusing in that you complained about the tone of the piece, and then promptly delved into rebutting it, which was a bit confusing.

Like I hinted at in my last post, my guess is this is where they want such material posted, until they figure out what to do with it.

18. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think that if we can use this thread to discuss the tribalization of information, with polarities back-slapping from their respective cocoons rather than actually learning anything then it's not a complete waste.

19. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

I know, Hon, but since you were quoting me, I had to address it as though you were speaking to me.

And I totally agree. In this for-better/for-worse age of the instant-and-easy internet, my fear is that de yung'uns actually do mistake same-sensibility comedy for hard news.

20. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think we can put the blame for this squarely on the shoulders of the mainstream media (especially print) for presenting information in such a non-compelling manner, especially to the young.

But as some people age, they would rather be entertained than challenged by their sources of info. My own sister (48 years old), who used to be a radical pansexual feminist is now a strident birther who gets **all** her information from Fox News, much to my chagrin. We can no longer discuss politics at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted