Global Warming is Over

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_kewlhandle, Nov 6, 2008.

1. B_kewlhandle

B_kewlhandle New Member

Albums:
    I predict that as soon as Obama takes office Global Warming will cease to be an issue. It was just an issue used by the Left for Bush bashing, but now it will conveniently disappear and Al Gore will shut up about it.

Is anyone here old enough to remember that back in the Reagan administration the environmental issue used by the Left was "Acid Rain". It was supposed to kill our crops, poison our rivers and cause cancer. As soon as Bill Clinton got elected Acid Rain dissapeared and has never been heard from again.

2. curious n str8

curious n str8 New Member

Albums:
    Al Gore is making to much money to abandon that issue, cha-ching $$$ Besides we do really need to develop alternative energies to help grow our economy and to get off our dependance of foreign oil.

3. mattbuddy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I highly doubt that. Al Gore still cares about it very much, I assume and the change of president wont change it.

4. Flashy

Gold Member

Well, considering we just had one of the most mild hurricane seasons in history, i would say that fears tend to be overblown.

I am a passionate environmentalist, but also a realist...i think there is far too much hyperbole on both sides of the issue.

I am passionate about making an immediate and steady switch towards alternative energy in all its forms, as well as conservation, fighting pollution etc, but i think the global warming issue needs to be dealt with in a more reasonable way by both sides.

everyone knows it is occurring, but how much we are contributing to it is not known, nor is it known if we could even change things if we went green in a slow and steady progression.

frankly, the issue of warming as scare tactic, or as something to be scoffed at is totally unhelpful, and both sides shoulld shut up, and work towards protecting our environment because it is in our interest to do so, not because of mad posturing from both sides.

I am much more worried about clean water, pollution, endangered species, deforestation, habitat destruction then i am about warming at the moment

but things need to start occurring and we must take bigger first steps in our environmental reforms

5. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    yeah they installed a bunch of heaters to melt the ice shelfs to make bush look bad, I didn't see that coming.

6. dreamer20

Gold Member

Global Warming has been discussed here:

http://www.lpsg.org/45362-global-warming-alarmists-scam-continues.html

I'm old enough to remember that the acid rain problem was a topic of discussion well before a Reagan Administration existed. It was, and is, an international environmental issue.

Acid rain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Health
    Since acid rain can kill aquatic animals, weaken trees and dissolve stone, it seems like it could also scald or burn humans. But it doesn't affect people in the same way as it does fish or plants. Acid rain feels the same as regular rain -- it's even safe to swim in an acidic lake. But the sulfate and nitrate particulates of dry deposition can *cause asthma, bronchitis and heart problems. The NO[SIZE=-2]x[/SIZE] in acid deposition also reacts with volatile organic compounds (VOCs) to form ground-level ozone. Ozone, or smog, aggravates and weakens the respiratory system.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/acid-rain.htm/printable

#6 dreamer20, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  7. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Ooh, lawdy, it's still hot in here.

8. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Fermenting manure.:biggrin1:

I think I am going to stop reading any more threads started by the OP.

9. Equus14

Equus14 New Member

October 30th, 2008

Polar warming 'caused by humans'

BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Polar warming 'caused by humans'

[​IMG]
    Polar warming 'caused by humans'
    By Pallab Ghosh
    Science correspondent, BBC News

The rise in temperatures at Earth's poles has for the first time been attributed directly to human activities, according to a study.
    The work, by an international team, is published in Nature Geoscience journal.
    In 2007, the UN's climate change body presented strong scientific evidence the rise in average global temperature is mostly due to human activities.
    This contradicted ideas that it was not a result of natural processes such as an increase in the Sun's intensity.
    At the time, there was not sufficient evidence to say this for sure about the Arctic and Antarctic.

We really can't claim anymore that it's natural variations that are driving these very large changes
    Peter Stott, Met Office
    Now that gap in research has been plugged, according to scientists who carried out a detailed analysis of temperature variations at both poles.
    Their study indicates that humans have indeed contributed to warming in both regions.
    Researchers expected this result for the Arctic - because of the recent sharp increase in the melting of sea ice in the summer in the region - but temperature variations in the Antarctic have until now been harder to interpret.
    Today's study, according to the researchers, suggests for the first time that there's a discernable human influence on both the Arctic and Antarctica.
    Best fit
    The research team took the temperature changes over the polar regions of the Earth and compared them with two sets of climate models.
    One set assumed that there had been no human influence the other set assumed there had.
    The best fit was with models that assumed that human activities including the burning of fossil fuels and depletion of ozone had played a part.
    According to one of the researchers involved with the study, Peter Stott, head of climate monitoring and attribution at the Met Office, formally showing that the Antarctic was being influenced by human activities was the key development
    "In the recent IPCC report for example," he said, "it wasn't possible to make a statement about the Antarctic because such a study had not been done at that point.
    "But nevertheless when you do that you see a clear human fingerprint in the observed data. We really can't claim anymore that it's natural variations that are driving these very large changes that we are seeing in our in the climate system."
    Professor Phil Jones, director of the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia, said: "Our study is certainly closing a couple of gaps in the last IPCC report.
    "But I still think that a number of people, including some politicians, are reluctant to accept the evidence or to do anything about it until we specifically come down to saying that one particular event was caused by humans like a serious flood somewhere or even a heatwave.
    "Until we get down to smaller scale events in both time and space I still think there will be people doubting the evidence."

Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Polar warming 'caused by humans'

Published: 2008/10/30 18:24:39 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

10. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Did anyone remember to inform the atmosphere about political priorities?

11. EagleCowboy

EagleCowboy Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Ok people!! Stop with the farting already!! All that methane being released!!
    And how dare you blame it on all those poor cows!!
    Shame on you people!! :tongue:

"Course, holding in a fart leads to shitty thoughts!! :biggrin1:

12. curious n str8

Albums:
    Ahhh hell... here I thought it lead to having shit for brains :lmao:

13. Riven650

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you Equus14. I think it's absolutely amazing that there are still people who think that global warming, or acid rain for that matter, have been 'made up' by political parties. Come on guys, be serious and at least make the effort to look at the scientific evidence for yourselves. It's all been published - and not by political parties.

14. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh global warming is probably still going to be an issue especially if there is a cap and trade system implemented on Carbon Dioxide. Don't forget Sen. McCain wanted to build scores of new nuclear plants to combat global warming. Global warming will still be an issue because most of the world looks to the USA as a pariah because we haven't passed the Kyoto Protocol. And there is money to be made in nuclear power plants, so just need to start building them like crazy :rolleyes: The nuclear industry might make global warming an even GREATER issue. Such as the French nuclear energy giant Areva campaigning for new plants in the USA.

Maybe it was the laws that helped put in place a cap and trade system along with mandatory sulfur scrubbing technology in coal fired power plants that reduced the effects of acid rain and it's a far less problem now. Now if only they could help get rid of the mercury being spewed out.

You can even make money in a cap and trade system.
    Emissions trading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who was President in 1990?
    Acid Rain Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It can take years between when something passes and when it's implemented and you see the end result.

Al Gore should shut up, or have something stuck up his ass so at least he has some emotion in his voice :biggrin1:. He has a damned monotone robotic sounding voice.

15. D_Landrocke DeLonguepiece III

The global warming thing will continue to be an issue because it is a huge money maker. Facts and history show that there are periods of warming and cooling. Not a big deal. And actually, we have become cooler in the last 10 years.

Does anyone on here remember when "Earthday" started......way back when? Well, it was to battle GLOBAL COOLING. There were massive reports of how we wouldn't be able to grown anything in 35 years because it would be too cold. What is really amazing, is some of these people who really pushed for this, are the same ones who are talking about global warming. Gee, one again, just go where the money is.

16. curious n str8

Albums:
    Quite interesting.... I suggest those that believe we are responsible for "Global warming" do a Internet search on "Global cooling" :thinking:

17. Elmer Gantry

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've still got the text books about it. Kept 'em as a momento.

They also state that overpopulation would be so bad by 2000 that a massive worldwide famine will drop the population back below 2billion.

18. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    the grants given to alarm-supporting scientists to say there is a problem and find new ways to paint the same lie is well into the hundreds of millions now. there is no turning back.

19. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I think that the World's Glaciers would say there is something to this "Global Warming" thing seeing that they are all in retreat.

20. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Change is upon us indeed...I actually agree wholeheartedly with Flashy's entire post.

Draft saved Draft deleted