Globalist or Multiculturalist?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Wrey, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Wrey

Wrey New Member

SpoiledPrincess’s thread concerning honesty begat IknowKK’s thread concerning her personal journey of self discovery which begat a comment on my part concerning introspection which begat SpoiledPrincess’s thread concerning how we come to know ourselves which begat the following:

In the world of anthropology we devide ourselves in many ways. One way in which we classify ourselves is whether we belong to the school of globalism or the school of multiculturalism.

The following are very simplified definitions.

Globalism: The idea that our similarities outweigh our differences and that focus on our differences is the root of much strife between peoples. This theory dictates that we must learn to find what makes us the same in order to learn to understand and appreciate each other.

Multiculturalism: The idea that we are all actually quite different and that attempting to deny these differences is the root of much strife between peoples. This theory dictates that we must learn to control our fear of difference in order to learn to understand and appreciate each other and what each has to offer.

I am a multiculturalist. Before I pass from this big blue marble I want to have met every kind of person, tasted of every food and drink, and danced to every rhythm. I think different rocks! No one would argue that the Crayola box of 96 colors is better than the one with just 8, right? So why not the same with people?

Which are you?

Globalist or multiculturalist?

2. Ascyltos

Ascyltos Member

Both your definitons offer a false choice.

Multiculturalism embraces the idea that all cultures are of equal worth. If you correctly uphold man's life as the standard of value on this earth, clearly this is not the case. A free society based on voluntary exchange and association of individuals is vastly superior to a theocratic or political dictatorship which removes the voluntary from human relationships. (Force stops thinking).

The smallest minority is the individual. As Aristotle said, 'Man is a being of self-made soul". You make your own character. If you choose to face life square in the face or seek unearned self esteem by hiding in a group or through drugs, drink and empty sex etc., that is your choice. It has nothing to do with anthropology.

3. chico8

chico8 New Member

You've oversimplified a very complex issue. If we lived in a black and white world, your binary decision making might be valid. However, we don't so it isn't.

I've met a lot of people from a lot of different parts of the world, I've even traveled a wee bit outside the confines of my own continent. There are some people, some foods and some cultures I like better than others. According to you, that makes me a bad person and that is simply bs. I don't want to live in a world where I like everyone and everything or more aptly embrace everything simply because it's different.

4. Wrey

Wrey New Member

My personal choice as multiculturalist does not imply that I have to like everything that I try, meet, or taste. It only means that I am open to the idea that that which is different than I am is valid. Not liking something does not make you bad person and I never implied this.

The schools of globalism and multiculturalism are not in oposition. They are two different roads away from ethnocentricity.

5. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I don't see why we can't be both, even by your definitions. I think the concept of race is a farce. I think nationalism and patriotism are a blight on humanity. I consider myself a citizen of the world, not just one place or time. but I'm also something of (not completely) a moral relativist. I appreciate and enjoy cultural differences. and I know I've been shaped by my unique experiences as much as everyone else has.

6. Wrey

Wrey New Member

You choose the middle road. Perfectly valid.

7. earllogjam

Gold Member

I think that our motivations, needs and desires as people are global in that we all share them just being human, they connect us with humanity but the way they manifest is multicultural in that they have a mulitude of expressions. Both are nessessary. What a boring world this would be without that variety.

8. Hockeytiger

Hockeytiger Active Member

As you stated, both are very simplified versions of extremely complex ideas. I guess I sympathize more with globalism. Bonds are created through similarities and shared experiences and values. That doesn't mean that differences can't be respected or that those differences aren't important, but to establish relationships with others requires us to base it on our similarities. From there we can explore the differences and learn to respect them, and perhaps even consider adopting some of the different traits, if deemed appropriate. But the initial bond needs to be based on similarities to enable us to respect each others' differences. If not, what we see is something foreign, possibly inferior, and maybe even dangerous.

9. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Globalism: The idea that our similarities outweigh our differences and that focus on our differences is the root of much strife between peoples. This theory dictates that we must learn to find what makes us the same in order to learn to understand and appreciate each other.

Basically one of roots of the American social success. The Melting Pot. The idea that different peoples from around the world come together, drop most of their differences and in a few generations are assimilated. This is what happened for most American families.

Multiculturalism: The idea that we are all actually quite different and that attempting to deny these differences is the root of much strife between peoples. This theory dictates that we must learn to control our fear of difference in order to learn to understand and appreciate each other and what each has to offer.
    I am a multiculturalist. Before I pass from this big blue marble I want to have met every kind of person, tasted of every food and drink, and danced to every rhythm. I think different rocks! No one would argue that the Crayola box of 96 colors is better than the one with just 8, right? So why not the same with people?

It's a non-choice globalist or multiculturalist. If anything I am both. You do need to- "learn to control our fear of difference in order to learn to understand and appreciate each other and what each has to offer" Exploring other cultures is great. Different does rock!

But one of the things you realize after dancing to every rhythm, is how much the same we all are. We all eat, drink, shit and make whoopie. We raise kids, do our work, drive around, chase money, believe in God or not, and avoid death. The people of world, as much as we are different, have a lot in common.

Maybe then we can lose the "fear of difference" and can be a much more tolerant person or society. Then we can appreciate each other and what we have to offer racially, internationally, culturally and person to person. It doesn't mean you have to like them, or not express preferences, or have strong opinions. Being tolerant means knowing that you really don't know shit and to just let other people(s) be.

10. Wrey

Wrey New Member

I think this is one of my new favorite phrases, honestly! :biggrin1:

11. earllogjam

Gold Member

I like the Tossed Salad analogy of the American Experience -made up of a variety of ingredients all keeping their respective qualities and the dressing being the unifing element of American culture that gives the salad it's distinctive flavor. I think it is a more accruate analogy in that America is actually a conglomeration of cultures which for the most part are retained. We don't all boil down to the same goo even after several generations but we come to share a set of uniquely American values yet retain our heritage.

12. Ascyltos

Ascyltos Member

Being tolerant means knowing that you really don't know shit and to just let other people(s) be.
    Last edited by vince : 31 Minutes Ago at 06:38 PM.

Vince, are you suggesting we should "tolerate" cultures that treat women and children as slaves - (or worse)? That imprison or execute those who fight for freedom of expression and freedom of speech? That deny individual property rights? That initiate force against innocents? That reject science and reason and basic human rights? That subordinate the individual to his race or class? Etc., etc.,

Tolerance fuels tyranny.

We are lucky. We have the freedom to debate. Try telling those who suffer around the world that we should "tolerate" they way they are living.

13. Wrey

Wrey New Member

I am genuinely in love with the fact that nearly everyone who has responded to my thread has taken a moderate, middle of the road viewpoint.

My childhood was one in which I had to learn the very important lessons that globalism teaches early on. I was raised literally around the world, never living in one place longer than four years. If I had not come to terms with the idea that there are some very basic underlying commonalities between us all, I would have suffered from cultural motion sickness my entire childhood. As an adult I never questioned the idea that a Maasai mother loves her child the same as a mother in Tunguska. I never thought twice that a rice farmer in Thailand worries about his crops in the same way as a wheat farmer in England. These things, to me, were obvious truths which did not need explaining.

The recent bout of intolerance on the site forced me to take a new look at myself as a multiculturalist. I had adopted a somewhat prideful attitude about how accepting and tolerant I am.

I was wrong.

I realized after some of my own heated reactions to things said on the site that I in fact was intolerant of intolerance. Some good friends (SpoiledPrincess, Think Kink, Sedated, Monster, Hung Muscle and many more) held that proverbial mirror up to my face and showed me that there was a small, dank corner of my mind where fear of the unknown still held dominion.

As I said in an earlier reply, globalism and multiculturalism are not opposing schools. They have the same goal, to eliminate ethnocentrism.

Thanks to the many who talked me through my anger at some individuals. Thanks to the many who have shown me that there are people who do truly think in this world today and that they are as much enamored of our similarities as of our differences.

14. Wrey

Wrey New Member

I dislike that you are taking this thread rather off topic.

I accept and tolerate your right to explore this facet of the human condition.

15. Ascyltos

Ascyltos Member

How am I taking this thread off-topic?

I was addressing the fundamentals of multiculturalism and the danger of regarding all cultures as morally equivalent.

I don't understand your last sentence.

I'm moving on now, anyway.

16. Wrey

Wrey New Member

Go in peace.

17. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Is it cultures that practice repression or is it governments?

Are you suggeting general intolerance fuels freedom?

Lucky? No. Freedom to debate wasn't just handed to us. We earned that right. The US and other democratic nations have fought to preserve freedom a number of times.

18. Wrey

Wrey New Member

Beautifully stated, thanks for getting the thread back on topic. :wink:

19. B_Swimming Lad

B_Swimming Lad New Member

Maybe I didn't read it very well, but I think I'm too thick to understand this thread... There r some very heavy issues going on here!
    :confused:

20. B_All4show

B_All4show New Member

NIC,

That is a great elitist definition of they way they see the world. I would love to believe in that Pollyanna, but I also believe there is evil in this world and with Liberal leaders believing the way you do, your beliefs will continue to hamstring this great nation.

Draft saved Draft deleted