Globalist or Multiculturalist?

Wrey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
oh, so you're one of the phony soldiers whose credibility we're allowed to question without having our own patriotism attacked because you don't blindly swallow every stupid thing the white house talking points say?

Didn't they inform you when you signed up to serve the country that good and honorable service meant becoming an unthinking pawn sucking at the teats of neocon ideologues? To do otherwise is betraying your country, regardless of whether you did or did not fight to defend her.

Hmmmmm......... :33:

Is he with me or against me? Knowing that NIC's mastery of sarcasm is superlatively British, I'm going to go with with.

jpza

Just Browsing
Media
OK, first time I've posted on this site but what the hey.

Maybe some of you guys should stick with tryinga out-do each other in terms of your cocksizes rather than trying to outwit each other. The debate part was interesting, the egos got a bit boring..

My 2cents: anyone who has the arrogance to be tolerant of me (my beliefs, my attitudes, my lifestyle) - I would tell them don't patronise me by saying you're prepared to tolerate me - Fuck you!!

Anyway, that's how we talk here in darkest Africa...

Now, do I have the IQ to post this damn message? grin

Wrey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
oh come on, I know my sarcasm is hard to interpret sometimes... but that instance of it wasn't very subtle.

I know you're smarter than you're pretending to be, Wrey.

Silly billy! I know you know I knew!

I've just been dying to use the :33: emoticon.

:biggrin1:

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think basically people are all the same, the climate they live in, how readily food and other resources are available to them influences their traditions and cultures certain ways.

I watched a documentary the other night about a little boy from Uganda, he was taken to the USA for a series of life saving operations, the culture he had grown up in and the one he now found himself in were very different - but he was just a little boy, he liked doing the same things little boys all over the world do.

In mythology widely separated cultures produce the same mythological themes time and time again - snakes feature in myths, floods, heroes who grow to full size over night, infants reared by animals, abandoned babies, bridges and caves as otherworld entrances, magical vessels, there are literally thousands of mythological themes which are shared by disparate cultures, trickster figures from ananse through loki to coyote. We share the same fears and hopes wherever we're from.

Archeologically I can't even remember the term for it but cultures make the same discovery independently, I think there's so many more points we all meet at than there are points separating us.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
SpoiledPrincess’s thread concerning honesty begat IknowKK’s thread concerning her personal journey of self discovery which begat a comment on my part concerning introspection which begat SpoiledPrincess’s thread concerning how we come to know ourselves which begat the following:

Which are you?

Globalist or multiculturalist?

WOW! There are a lot of begats there!!

OK, so I have been avoiding commenting as I have to be honest (really... I think someones put truth serum in my wine..... :rolleyes:) and admit that I am in the same boat as SwimmingLad and struggling to completely understand you all.... also I think I need a new dictionary!! :redface:

You all certainly are incredible debators anyway!:wink:

With regards to whether I am globalist or multiculturalist.... I think I'd opt for multiculturalist. But as I said, I did get a bit lost along the way....

For me, I would say it is not so much me tolerating other people, races & cultures but respecting them. For the similiarities and diversities.

We are all different (and I love the analogy with the 96 crayola pencils, BTW). But surely respect for eachother and acceptance of the differences is more the way to go than fear and intolerance.

Great thread Wrey! I take my hat off to ya! :wink:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In mythology widely separated cultures produce the same mythological themes time and time again - snakes feature in myths, floods, heroes who grow to full size over night, infants reared by animals, abandoned babies, bridges and caves as otherworld entrances, magical vessels, there are literally thousands of mythological themes which are shared by disparate cultures, trickster figures from ananse through loki to coyote. We share the same fears and hopes wherever we're from.

Archeologically I can't even remember the term for it but cultures make the same discovery independently, I think there's so many more points we all meet at than there are points separating us.

Yes, Jung called all those common things men share as the Collective Unconscious and Joseph Campbell showed us that it was not just a theory.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Vince, are you suggesting we should "tolerate" cultures that treat women and children as slaves - (or worse)? That imprison or execute those who fight for freedom of expression and freedom of speech? That deny individual property rights? That initiate force against innocents? That reject science and reason and basic human rights? That subordinate the individual to his race or class? Etc., etc.,

Tolerance fuels tyranny.

We are lucky. We have the freedom to debate. Try telling those who suffer around the world that we should "tolerate" they way they are living.

No, I am not suggesting that we should tolerate injustice. I understand what you mean when you say that tolerance fuels tyranny. Of course those of us lucky enough to live in relatively free societies should work to undermine tyranny. But we can turn that statement around. Many brutal acts are fueled by intolerance. One example is the religious fundamentalism which motivate the followers of bin Laden. Another is the nationalism of a Milosovich. If those people or societies had more tolerance for each other, perhaps they wouldn't be so easily lead by dictitorial demogogues.

For now, at this time in human social development, this is probably utopian pie in the sky. We also need to factor in the nasty side of human nature. We are a greedy and lazy species which tends to take care of our own interests even if others suffer for our benefit. If we were more understanding of other cultures or nations, we would not tolerate them being brutalized by their so called leaders.

I think that fear fuels intolerance (racism, bigotry) and that understanding moderates fear.

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You didn't ask about my intelligence and I didn't ask about your opinion of it. None of this is relevant to anything but 160 is the 99.997th percentile on the test I took, I took the test once, and I'm content with where I am in life. I don't make a lot of money but that's not a big priority for me. I have a college degree, but it was awarded to me by an accredited university and they're all controlled by liberal elitist Jews, right? I'm surprised you'd list this as a worthy application of intellect. My handle isn't meant to be a brag, it's a joke, but people like you always fail to get it.

Also, you have absolutely no idea what my beliefs are or how they coincide with the "liberals" or "conservatives" in this country. You've read a couple of my posts maybe and neatly (but erroneously) grouped me into one of the handful of categories your feeble mind needs in order to make sense of the world. Don't apply your stupid cliches to me, I think for myself.

NIC,

I say that you puting 160 on your moniker is no accident and not in jest, I cry BS. You call people stupid and unintelligent all of the time. But I can see it is a bully tactic and it is a house of cards. That is the category I put you in.

I am not a big fan of college, but I put the time and money in and earned my degree. I can tell you it meant little to my success, but a math degree took a little longer than an online test or an "award". I have worked my ass off for years and applied my body where needed and my mind where ever possible.

Talk about putting people in categories, conservatives hate Jews? WTF? Nice try but that shit is not sticking to me.

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
oh, so you're one of the phony soldiers whose credibility we're allowed to question without having our own patriotism attacked because you don't blindly swallow every stupid thing the white house talking points say?

Didn't they inform you when you signed up to serve the country that good and honorable service meant becoming an unthinking pawn sucking at the teats of neocon ideologues? To do otherwise is betraying your country, regardless of whether you did or did not fight to defend her.

You're a great American.