GM...they finally get it

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
GM rarely does new technology well, the main exception I can think of is the original Toronado, which debuted front wheel drive and the powering of the transmission via a notched belt. More typically, they drop the ball somewhere in the execution. I think I will wait and see.
Dave

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
GM has been buying patents and sitting on them for decades. They've had the capability to mass produce a fully electric vehicle that gets 70-100 miles per charge for over a decade now...I point you to the EV1. Rave reviews from the test market. Everyone that tested one wanted to keep it, and even offered to pay for it...but GM took them all back, melted them down, never to be seen again. Their excuse? "Nobody wants to buy them" (even though most people who test drove them offered to buy them)

Here's a great movie that shows the entire process: Who Killed the Electric Car?

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My grandfather's motor work predates the Cam engine. Had his patents not run out I would have money...oh well, poor is me...and he was only ever poor too. Anywho, he always said they had the ability to make cars run many miles on a single gallon. He also said you didn't talk about this if you were in early engine work or you ended up dead. So once we have the last drop of oil spent they will also get the plans out for the gasless cars too I imagine. The only problem with the small car that gets tons of milage is I don't feel safe in the car. I say give it some weight and just make it safe. Then what ever is left on the milage will be better than the Ford I have now.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Exactly Rex on the EV1

Second: The Camaro is a big piece of shit. Save your money and buy something older. - really.

The LT1 Optispark was a pain in the ass, but fairly reliable up to 150K miles. New replacement cap and rotors are available for around $50.

The pisser with the LT1 was the plug wires were buried underneath the manifolds, and it was not a fun job to change them.
Cramped engine compartments common across all platforms made tuneups more expensive as it was harder to get to the plugs.
When maintained however, this engine was very efficient, powerful, and capable.

Ken,
I'm looking at the GM manual for a 02-05 Trailblazer 4.2L.
:rolleyes:Taking the entire body off for a valve change makes no sense.:bsflag:
Not sure where your getting your info from....

You take off:
Cam Cover - Mark Sprockets location to one another, and relation to crank position.
Exhaust Manifold
Front Cover
Cylinder head access plugs
tensioner shoe bolts and guides
Timing chain then is loose and comes off...
Pull out the cylinder head bolts (NO IMPACT GUN!!), Gently pry up with a wood hammer handle in an intake or exhaust port and voila, head comes off.

Hell, you can pull the entire engine out without touching the body, other than the grill.

Last edited: