Go Gino!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Who would have thought that Gino Vanelli, the Canadian disco era wonderboy would end up the new Boston Celtics Icon? Who ever revitalized Gino! mania tell them they need to play some of Vanelli's music to go with it! Gino rock!

Last edited:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I loved Gino as a teen. But disco? I don't remember a disco song by him.

Perhaps I should have called him Disco era. Yes, he always has been a bit more smooth and sensual, hasnt he? I had it so bad that I used to paint portraits of the man while I was in high school. I dont think I ever grooved off anyone like that before or since.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You just made my day N!!! Damn he was hot!

LOL! I wanted to punch my boyfriend at the time when he gleefully let me know that when he worked in Montreal he heard that Gino was flaming. Gino since has denied that assertion but he still has a large gay following. He is gorgeous still. I just saw another image of him. Regardless ,gay or straight he still is GINO!

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah he's some Manimal! I actually was introduced to his music by a lesbian couple. I fell inlove immediately flippiing thru their lp collection of his discs. Good thig he could sing! I've never heard anything about his sexuality but usually if there's no news around the person usually ends up being gay. Wonder if he still records?

CuriousGuy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There was one lp cover that showed his hairy chest. I think it was running down my legs right there in the record store. OK I was young and lusted after him. lol.

I remember that bushy chest as well. Between him and Andy Gibb I definitely got my hairy chest fix back in the day, lol.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow!! Gino and the Boston Celtics?

Here is a link to the full article.

It is a wild and convoluted story...

"As the clock runs down on another Boston Celtics home victory, a disco anthem blares over the arena sound system and the scoreboard begins flashing clips from a 1970s episode of American Bandstand. One on-screen dancer in particular gets the crowd on its feet, cheering during every game: a bearded man whom Celtics faithful call “Gino” because of his tight T-shirt, which bears the name and image of Montreal-born singer, composer and one-time disco heartthrob Gino Vannelli.

The Celtics arena staff waits until a stoppage in play late in the game, when the result is beyond any doubt, before cuing up the music and getting Gino Time underway. Every time Gino appears in the montage of dancers, the crowd hoots and screams his name.

Gino’s been seeing a lot of action, and his status as a symbol of the Celtics’ success has created a cottage industry in bootleg T-shirts, which Celtics’ fans are eagerly snapping up. Some shirt designs play on the Celtics’ Big Three—all-stars Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce—in depicting Gino as one component of a Big Four; others are simply replicas of the shirt Gino’s wearing in the video, a piece of merchandise from Vannelli’s 1976 Gist of the Gemini tour.

Gino has even been a hit with the Celtics’ players. Rookie Glen “Big Baby” Davis openly covets a Vannelli shirt, and Garnett has admitted to looking online for one of his own. Leon Powe is rumoured to imitate Gino’s dance in the Celts’ locker room.

An enterprising Boston Globe reporter, Marc J. Spears, is on a quest to track down the Celtics’ dancing scoreboard hero. Meanwhile, word of Gino's talismanic status has spread as far as Holland, where Vannelli is a part-time resident. Vannelli, who was the first white singer to appear on Soul Train, finds the cult funny"

and so who is the man with the Gino shirt? Wiki says that...

It's none other than Joseph R. Massoni, who became famous for appearing in an episode of American Bandstand in 1977 of which a clip of him dancing is commonly played on the Jumbotron of the TD Banknorth Garden during Boston Celtics games. Typically the clip is only played in the 4th quarter when a Celtic victory is assured or immediately following a Celtics victory. Joseph stands out in the clip because of his particularly smooth dancing moves and his prominent T-Shirt with "Gino" written on it. The T-shirt is from a 1976 Gino Vannelli tour. The Wall Street Journal identified Joseph R. Massoni as the dancer known to Celtics fans simply as Gino and confirmed that he passed away in 1990

I am such a huge Gino fan... I don't know what to even say about him. Him and his brothers created some INTENSELY awesome music that fits no real description, other than it is jazz/fusion.

I'm gonna go and throw some on now and ROCK out!!!!

thanx Naughty!!!!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow!! Gino and the Boston Celtics?

Here is a link to the full article.

It is a wild and convoluted story...

"As the clock runs down on another Boston Celtics home victory, a disco anthem blares over the arena sound system and the scoreboard begins flashing clips from a 1970s episode of American Bandstand. One on-screen dancer in particular gets the crowd on its feet, cheering during every game: a bearded man whom Celtics faithful call “Gino” because of his tight T-shirt, which bears the name and image of Montreal-born singer, composer and one-time disco heartthrob Gino Vannelli.

The Celtics arena staff waits until a stoppage in play late in the game, when the result is beyond any doubt, before cuing up the music and getting Gino Time underway. Every time Gino appears in the montage of dancers, the crowd hoots and screams his name.

Gino’s been seeing a lot of action, and his status as a symbol of the Celtics’ success has created a cottage industry in bootleg T-shirts, which Celtics’ fans are eagerly snapping up. Some shirt designs play on the Celtics’ Big Three—all-stars Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce—in depicting Gino as one component of a Big Four; others are simply replicas of the shirt Gino’s wearing in the video, a piece of merchandise from Vannelli’s 1976 Gist of the Gemini tour.

Gino has even been a hit with the Celtics’ players. Rookie Glen “Big Baby” Davis openly covets a Vannelli shirt, and Garnett has admitted to looking online for one of his own. Leon Powe is rumoured to imitate Gino’s dance in the Celts’ locker room.

An enterprising Boston Globe reporter, Marc J. Spears, is on a quest to track down the Celtics’ dancing scoreboard hero. Meanwhile, word of Gino's talismanic status has spread as far as Holland, where Vannelli is a part-time resident. Vannelli, who was the first white singer to appear on Soul Train, finds the cult funny"

and so who is the man with the Gino shirt? Wiki says that...

It's none other than Joseph R. Massoni, who became famous for appearing in an episode of American Bandstand in 1977 of which a clip of him dancing is commonly played on the Jumbotron of the TD Banknorth Garden during Boston Celtics games. Typically the clip is only played in the 4th quarter when a Celtic victory is assured or immediately following a Celtics victory. Joseph stands out in the clip because of his particularly smooth dancing moves and his prominent T-Shirt with "Gino" written on it. The T-shirt is from a 1976 Gino Vannelli tour. The Wall Street Journal identified Joseph R. Massoni as the dancer known to Celtics fans simply as Gino and confirmed that he passed away in 1990

I am such a huge Gino fan... I don't know what to even say about him. Him and his brothers created some INTENSELY awesome music that fits no real description, other than it is jazz/fusion.

I'm gonna go and throw some on now and ROCK out!!!!

thanx Naughty!!!!

Honey hush!

You know how I feel about him, G. The man is fabulous!