Go Look At The Moon Tonite

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I went to take a look, but there was too much cloud cover to see anything.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I get so jealous when events in the sky happen b/c we can't see them here in Manhattan b/c of all the street lights etc. Well I guess if i had super power scope maybe. But our sky is so bright even at nite sometimes it's hard to see the stars.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
all night here the planets were on the wrong side of the moon unless you were suppose to see it way before 7. But both venus and jupiter were very bright.

Scrufuss

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Mercury, Venus, Mars (but maybe not this time of year), Jupiter and Saturn are usually viewable at some time during the night. Not all on the same night, but naked eye viewing is possible. I have a friend who has a HI POWERED telescope, its massive, counter weights, electroically controlled - the works. He says its a combo of 2 different viewing technologys. (I stop listening at that point) With it you can see some of the hardware left behind on Luna from the apollo missions. The rings of Saturn and see part of the hexagon on the top when he connects up with the satelite link, the eye of the of storm on Jupiter.. Makes one humble to see all that.
I just found out that Jupiter, or is it Saturn, has at least 66 moons and counting?
BTW, foggy overcast here to, bummer.

Last edited:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I saw it when driving to run some errands tonight. I didn't know anything special was supposed to happen tonight but I did notice what I called "the moon and two stars" (later found out that the two "stars" were Venus and Jupiter). They were clearly visible to me. Very cool!

I know when I saw it that I thought it looked different from the usual night sky. I've always been interested in this kind of stuff.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There were no clouds here last night and I saw it!
Though I didn't have a clue what it was - just that the moon looked as if it had a zit! :rolleyes:

I'll go google the story now as I still don't know what it was about but it was very cool.
Actually I've noticed other things too, partly cos I'm back home on the edge of nowhere and can see the stars again.

There were 2 very visible planets last week in Charleston at about 6.30pm vertically, one above the other and the lower one being very close to the horizon.

2 days later I arrived home in West Wales and as I got to the sea at about 7pm, bugger me but there the same 2 planets. Very bright and in the same position!

They looked HUGE!

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There were no clouds here last night and I saw it!
Though I didn't have a clue what it was - just that the moon looked as if it had a zit! :rolleyes:

They looked HUGE!

if it looked like that in wales, you were seeing part of the occulation that was only seen in europe, i believe. the moon actually passed in front of and obscured one of the planets during the show. (even more rare than what
we saw in los angeles.) ancients wrote great significance into such things.

went to chaco canyon (in new mexico) last year and all this stuff now has
more meaning to me. their whole culture was based around the movements
of celestial objects. they may have developed the first accurate way of keeping time.
the night sky in that part of new mexico is still very clear and
the milky way as a diagonal cloudlike band is still very visible on a clear night.