"God Hates Fags!"

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
http://www.godhatesfags.com/

I always check out Westboro Baptist Church's site when I need a good laugh. They're so out there. WBC plans to picket "the sodomite whorehouse masquerading as the city of Casper, Wyoming" to celebrate the 5th anniversiary of Matthew Shepard's "Entry into Hell".

As their agenda has widened over the years, they now hate pretty much everyone including the entire country of Sweden "God Hates Sweden" and many others...

Those of you who have been to Gay Pride (anywhere) have seen them with their signs:
20060130_indiana5.jpg

So do you find them incredibly funny, offensive or just don't give a shit? Discuss.

RideRocket

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
It's unfortunate that such people exist and use God, the Bible, and religion as an excuse and a crutch to spew their hatred. No matter what they say, do or espouse, these people are not Christians.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been keeping an eye on fred phelps and the westboro baptist church for probably 7 or 8 years now. It's always a good idea to know what the enemy is up to. The website is simultaneously funny, tragic, and infuriating. One would wonder where mr phelps gets his vitriolic (proclaimed?) hatred. I just can't understand why more of the mainstream denominations, nation-wide, don't denounce westboro, disavow them, and excommunicate them from the christian fold.

For some MOST excellent satire and entertainment, you MUST check out http://www.bettybowers.com and http://www.landoverbaptist.org. Hour after hour of side-splitting fun!

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Fred Phelps IS NOT a Christian and his church is the most pitiful excuse for a church there is. I say this AS a member of a Baptist church. Baptists have a history of freedom, although you'd never know it by the way most of the churches act these days, but the vitriolic hate Phelps espouses is the total antithesis of anything Christian. Christians may not agree with things, BUT there is a correct way to present their message. Doing it through evil ways is not the way to get people to listen to you. It sickens me to think that Phelps and his crew actually believe that they are doing good and making people listen. All they are doing are turning people off to church and to the Gospel. It's just so sad...

RideRocket

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Two more cents to add...
It's easy to quote scripture concerning a specific topic - anyone can do it to further a certain belief. Yet what they purposely omit is what the rest of the Bible states. While it may say that "homosexuality is a sin", it also teaches compassion.

While faith is one component of Christianity, the Book of James adds another qualifier - work and deeds that compliment your faith. i.e. - put your money where your mouth is. So instead of being judgmental, reach out and help your fellow man (regardless of their 'sin').

orion_is_sweet

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
it's a good thing people are out there giving the people this message. Cigarettes are horrible for your health and if they have god on their side all they have to do is join with TRUTH and they'd be a tobacco stopping machine!!!!!!!

btw, homosexuals rock...I should know :biggrin1:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dr Rock said:
speak for yourself there chief!

Cigarettes are delicious, especially with coffee.

My daughter showed me fred phelps' website some years ago while she was regularly sending them harassing emails. I haven't read it in quite a while, but I'm happy enough idiots like that exist- it makes it so much easier to draw the dividing lines.

Fags are also quite delicious, either the tobacco or the homosexual variety.

amhersthungboi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
RideRocket said:
While it may say that "homosexuality is a sin"

The word homosexual wasn't coined until the mid 1860s, so any Bible-totting nutcase who proclaims the Bible says anything with the word "homosexual" is a flat out liar, or is reading a doctored version of the Bible (probably both).

I do, remember, however, the Bible saying "Love thy neighbor as thyself" as being fundamental to the Christian faith, and "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

I wonder if all those "fag" hating lunatics are also circumcised, give the tithe, and don't eat meat on Fridays ...

Hypocrisy: It's the fundamentalist way!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
prepstudinsc said:
Fred Phelps IS NOT a Christian and his church is the most pitiful excuse for a church there is. I say this AS a member of a Baptist church. Baptists have a history of freedom, although you'd never know it by the way most of the churches act these days, but the vitriolic hate Phelps espouses is the total antithesis of anything Christian. Christians may not agree with things, BUT there is a correct way to present their message. Doing it through evil ways is not the way to get people to listen to you. It sickens me to think that Phelps and his crew actually believe that they are doing good and making people listen. All they are doing are turning people off to church and to the Gospel. It's just so sad...
Thanks, Prep... but has your pastor ever mentioned these westboro freaks? Does he speak out against them? That's the problem, a few members will quietly, privately denounce them, but nothing is being done "corporately." What is the SBC's stance? Any of the other guiding bodies in the Baptist denomination? The Pope? PCUSA? PCA? Any of the synods, or parishes, or conventions, or cardinal community colleges, any of the seminaries? NO. They don't want to rock the boat or risk derision by those misguided freaks who think freddie is cool. By thanks, for realizing what freaks there are out there claiming your heritage, and using it against you and anyone else that they can.

P. S. I'm a little disappointed that no one has commented on either of the website links I posted earlier.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
RideRocket said:
Two more cents to add...
It's easy to quote scripture concerning a specific topic - anyone can do it to further a certain belief. Yet what they purposely omit is what the rest of the Bible states. While it may say that "homosexuality is a sin", it also teaches compassion.
If you are referring to quotes and passages in Leviticus, may I ask you: Were those passages directed toward all Jews, or only toward the Levites (for those of you who don't know who the Levites were, they were the Tribe of Israel tasked with being the religious/clergy/rabinnical folks, no other Israelites at the time were allowed to become priests... I think...)?

RideRocket

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
amhersthungboi said:
The word homosexual wasn't coined until the mid 1860s, so any Bible-totting nutcase who proclaims the Bible says anything with the word "homosexual" is a flat out liar, or is reading a doctored version of the Bible (probably both).

I do, remember, however, the Bible saying "Love thy neighbor as thyself" as being fundamental to the Christian faith, and "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

I wonder if all those "fag" hating lunatics are also circumcised, give the tithe, and don't eat meat on Fridays ...

Hypocrisy: It's the fundamentalist way!

It may well be that the term 'homosexual' wasn't coined until the 1860s, but the Bible does state "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it [is] abomination." (from www.blueletterbible.org).

Homosexuality is defined as: 1. Sexual orientation to persons of the same sex. 2. Sexual activity with another of the same sex. (www.dictionary.com)

Basically, it's a matter of semantics.

RideRocket

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
If you are referring to quotes and passages in Leviticus, may I ask you: Were those passages directed toward all Jews, or only toward the Levites (for those of you who don't know who the Levites were, they were the Tribe of Israel tasked with being the religious/clergy/rabinnical folks, no other Israelites at the time were allowed to become priests... I think...)?

Good question, but I don't know the answer. My guess would be it was applicable to all Jews (and subsequently Christians) since there are other references to homosexuality in both the New and Old Testament.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
RideRocket said:
...the Bible does state "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it [is] abomination." ...
Please let me know, book, chapter, and verse where that phrase is found.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
RideRocket said:
Good question, but I don't know the answer. My guess would be it was applicable to all Jews (and subsequently Christians) since there are other references to homosexuality in both the New and Old Testament.
Well, if you are talking about laws in Leviticus, those chaps were not allowed even to walk past a vinyard. They had very specific clothing requirements, including tassels on the corners, and prohibition against clothing of mixed fiber, and against cutting their hair. If you take one law, you gotta take 'em all. Pick and choose religion is an abomination.