Goin to the Gym

coolguy04

Just Browsing
Media
I've visited this board for sometime but never really posted much. Im a semi slender guy who would like to start going to the gym. I will honestly say that i dont think im incredibly hung by the standards of this site. I've measured and its about 7in. I will also state that i've never worked out in a gym other than when i was in high school and we had to during gym class. I really want to start working out and getting alil more cut, defined, and really just alittle stronger. I dont have a gigantic amount of confidence and I guess im hoping that going to the gym will help with that. My biggest fear tho is that i dont know what to do if i go, i know some of the machines but im no expert. Im afraid of all the other big burly guys starin and laughin, stupid thought, I know but is there anyway around it?

Anyway any advice is appreciated and I hope my lil rant made some sort of sense.

Well thank you for reading!

yurkon

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'd suggest sticking to machines initially because there is less risk of having horible form. Form is everything with free weights. Most machines have a picture and directions.

If you're bent on doing free weights, start out light because poor form won't do as much damage. While form is always important if you are over 30, it's even more important because you body will recover more slowly.

About how old are you, that will dictate what you do and some other things.

Media
Most gyms have personal trainers that can help you with your form and set up an initial training program. If you feel more comfortable, set up a time when the gym probably will be less busy. Don't worry about what other people think either. If that really bugs you that much, then you are going to have a miserable life.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Learn as much as you can ... one of the first things you've got to do is identify your body type, as that determines the program you should follow ... for my bodytype, that means I have to work intense and heavy, hitting each bodypart three times a week

good places to start would be Arnold's book, bodybuilding.com, ironman magazine online, TESTOSTERONE NATION | World's Largest Bodybuilding and Weight Loss Underground Nation, etc

clear out your mind ... the other guys in there are focused on what they're doing, and what they're trying to achieve

Media
Clear goals first. Short and long term. Developing muscles take time and is of course a journey. How exciting and eventful a journey that will be is entirely up to you.
Be patient with yourself and understand that starting small and working your way up is key.

Proper form is vital, for one it reduces the likelihood of injury. Read everything you can, there are tons of sites on the net that show various exercises that work every muscle group. It may take a while but you will soon discover what works best for you and your body type.

Keep a log of your workouts (I use Excel) and a food diary has been very helpful for me.

Always remember: recuperative rest is the single most contributing factor in achieving your fitness goals.

Nutrition is important, the kitchen can be friend or foe this choice is yours entirely.

So you see, there is much to consider and not really time to worry over what others may think. I have a home gym, I tried the membership thing but found that waiting for a machine to become available was a waste of time.

Good journey!

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
Wow, it was like I was reading about myself!

Man, I just started going to the gym a couple months ago. At first I was really lacking confidence, I was worried about what others thought of me being so small, and I was worried I wouldn't know what to do. After going a couple of times, I was hooked! Not having any fat on me, I started to see some gains quickly. Nothing that really stands out to anyone else, but I know my body best and I can tell that my muscles are definitely firming up, getting a little bigger, and I am gaining strength. I absolutely love it! I have been so busy lately, I haven't been in almost two weeks, which really upsets me. That's how much I love it. I was so afraid that my interest in it would wain, and I would give up quickly. I hope to stick to it and really impress myself.

Right now I just hit up every machine, I don't have a set list right now, or work certain parts on certain days. I'm sure I'll move on to a more focused workout down the road.

jumbo747jet

Superior Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
When you join a gym, the staff will book in a instructional work out for you, where you get shown how the different equipment is used, so that you do it right.
Using some of those gym machines without knowing at which position your seat should be at, what weight to use and what exact position to be in, can actually do you more hard than good.

Take help from the staff, that's what they are there for.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Remember one thing...There's NO need to be self conscious........Most of the guys at the gym are looking at THEMSELVES in the mirrors
:rolleyes: how true... People at the gym will care about what you look like a lot less than you think they will. (Unless your fucking HOT!!) The gym staff will be more than happy to help you get started. In fact they should insist on it.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I agree with posters who have said use the free trainer appointments that come with most gym memberships--be conscious that the goal of these free training sessions are partially designed to get you to buy additional sessions.

I learned a lot of my work-out routine from years of reading websites and Men's Health magazine.

I also recently found this website which has pictures and videos of exercises:

Pacific Elite Fitness exercise photos & videos

thereisalight

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Also, if you feel uncomfortable asking for assistance from the staff, visit the gym during a 'down time' -- either early in the morning or late evening. You should be able to schedule a time to meet with an instructor.

Every person who uses a gym had a 'first day' and they, too, were probably apprehensive about not knowing how to improve their body. My 48yo sister-in-law is an aerobics freak (and now trains others). She has the body of a 20yo. My brother (her husband) hates aerobics -- never his thing -- and prefers running and weight-lifting. To each his own.

Most of the guys I know from the gym don't care what others look like -- the few that do care what others look like usually have self-esteem / self-perception issues, narcissistic and shallow. Fuck 'em.

Once you begin working out you will feel so much better both physically and mentally. It is an added benefit when others say "wow, I can tell you've been working out -- it really shows."

I've met some of the nicest people at the gym -- most have become long time friends and are incredibly supportive.

Enough of my gym rah-rah.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
the biggest guys didn't get that way without spending a lot of time in the gym ... picking up some humility, support and insights ... generally you'll find they are the more approachable and most willing to help (admittedly there are some Class As, but you'll be able to tell easily who they are) ...

I remember when I first started this massive, goateed, huge-bulged, super-hot Italian looking guy, who I thought wouldn't give skinny little me the time of day ... actually, I'll save that for another thread:redface:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I don't know how flush you are right now, but if you can afford a few sessions with a personal trainer, you'll probably benefit greatly.

A personal trainer will hugely enhance your rate of progress. You'll learn all about good form, which is important. Your exercises will be changed frequently so that your body is continually challenged in new ways, which also enhances your improvement. You'll also likely be less susceptible to over-use injuries.

You might only take an appointment every couple of weeks, if money is an issue.

I'd look into it, coolguy.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
as usual, i'm in complete agreement with rubi. a lot of places offer "boot camp" type classes that can get you started on a fitness regime and will also offer some basic instruction on machines, free weights, etc. that's how i started and it was really helpful. i got to know the staff as well that way.

after going to the gym now for a few months, i am not the skinniest or hottest woman there, but i'm comfortable that i can hold my own. just getting in shape a little bit and sticking with it do wonders for your confidence no matter how you compare to the other people there. you'll also be surprised at the different ages and body types in most gyms-- they run the gamut.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Echoing Rubi & Snoozan's apt comments (as usual), the other benefit to signing up for some classes is that it will get you on a schedule. They're also hugely beneficial because lifting weights/using machines is only part of the equation, you'll want to complement that with regular cardio exercise. Alternating your workouts to include both strength training and endurance is how you'll see the best results because they feed off each other.

I agree with everybody who mentioned doing a session with a trainer to help you learn the ropes, proper form, etc. But if that isn't feasible, machines will have diagrams that show you what to do. I can't imagine a situation where someone would give you a hard time - none of us were born in great shape. :smile: Plenty of times I've asked other guys for help, like "how do you work this thing?" and they've always been cool.

Two other recommendations - stretch and don't overdo it with the weight. Especially because you're just getting started. Stretching and then doing a quick 10 min warm up on a exercise bike, ski machine, stairs, whatever, will get your body prepared for exercise and prevent injury. You'd be surprised how easy it is to pull a muscle when you're not stretched out. And you'll be pleasantly surprised how much easier weights are if you're warmed up a bit.

Set the amount of weight low and do more reps at first, rather than the other way around. You can start upping the weight once you no longer feel physically challenged. Fight the urge to set the weight higher than you need. Starting off trying to do 3 sets of 10 bench presses of 100lbs is not gonna work. First, you won't be able to do it, which is bad for the confidence. :wink: More importantly you could hurt yourself. And you'll actually get a better workout with more reps of lower weight as a beginner.

Oh, and make sure you drink lots of water during and just after you work out. Hydration is super important. Lifting weights shreds muscle tissue, and the reason why you're sore afterward is because your body is literally healing itself. Water is crucial to this process.

Good luck!

lpsg17

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I've visited this board for sometime but never really posted much. Im a semi slender guy who would like to start going to the gym. I will honestly say that i dont think im incredibly hung by the standards of this site. I've measured and its about 7in. I will also state that i've never worked out in a gym other than when i was in high school and we had to during gym class. I really want to start working out and getting alil more cut, defined, and really just alittle stronger. I dont have a gigantic amount of confidence and I guess im hoping that going to the gym will help with that. My biggest fear tho is that i dont know what to do if i go, i know some of the machines but im no expert. Im afraid of all the other big burly guys starin and laughin, stupid thought, I know but is there anyway around it?

Anyway any advice is appreciated and I hope my lil rant made some sort of sense.

Well thank you for reading!

With 7" you will be bigger than most of the men there, so you should not worry about that. I agree with the other posters, most people at the gym are just trying to get in a good work out and are really not lookng at you. I work out 5 times a week at a local gym and have been approached to help other newer members and have alway been more than happy to help. Machines are a good start but free weights will yield the best results. Get on line and get a good work out and have a plan of what you are going to do before you get to the gym.

Good luck, your new bod is a few months away!