Going Grey

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was just reading an article by author Anne Kreamer called "Going Grey". It was about the increasing numbers of women who are either not dyeing their hair or ceasing to continue to dye their hair. When she went on Match.com she was surprised to see that she received three times as many responses in her naturally grey state than when she dyed her hair brown. What do you think? Does grey say stay away or are you willing to live on the edge of honesty?

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm very lucky that I haven't got any grey yet but when I do I honestly don't know if I'll start dyeing my hair or leave it, I'm very lazy and I don't fancy having to do roots all the time.

Act2_Begins_Now

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have tried not to color my hair, but I have found that grays are stubborn. With my hair being longer, the uncontrollable nature of the grays seem to be more prominent. Think fly away static-like hair but it is only the grays. Some time ago I worked for a woman who had salt and pepper hair and it was so attractive, but the length was at most two inches. The short hair looked great on her, but its not something I am ready to try. So I dye my hair my 'natural' color so most people don't even realize I do and I dont have to deal with the roots issue.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I think it depends on your natural colour in the first place. This is probably completely irrational, but I find grey on black hair sexy, grey on blonde sophisticated, but grey on brown or red, not so good.

I have no idea why.

PS - I have a few grey hairs coming through, I have decided to leave them.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have no grey, and I'm hoping that I'll go strawberry blond and get some nice white streaks when I'm older like my dad did. He had beautiful hair.

But I have red haired great and great great aunts who lived to a ripe old age who never greyed or faded at all. :mad:

- - - - - -

IMHO, hair SHOULD change color. It just seems to go better with that lovely fine-leather look that people get when they age well.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My sister's hair was titian when she was younger, she's not going grey, she's settled into a nice strawberry blonde. I often think grey hairs are more noticeable when there are just a few of them.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have no grey, and I'm hoping that I'll go strawberry blond and get some nice white streaks when I'm older like my dad did. He had beautiful hair. :rolleyes: People always seem to want what they don't have.

But I have red haired great and great great aunts who lived to a ripe old age who never greyed or faded at all. :mad: IMHO, this is not a travesty.
- - - - - -
IMHO, hair SHOULD change color. It just seems to go better with that lovely fine-leather look that people get when they age well.[/quote] Eek! Human skin should never look like leather, that's a sign of major sun damage. :frown1:

I don't have an explanation "it just melts my butter."
I've never heard that expression before; but I like it. :smile:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
According to my mom I was born with a full head of jet black hair and just one grey one. As the years went on the greys multiplied. By the time I was in the 6th grade I was so sick of everybody asking if I knew I had grey hair that I started dyeing it to match my natural color. Call it vanity but I have dyed my hair regularly since I was 12 and have no intention or desire to stop now.

When I was younger I would sometimes not color my hair during the summer months as I like to swim. chlorine has an annoying tendency to make grey hair which has been colored green. :yuck:

I suspect my natural hair color is salt and pepper and has been for quite a few years.

NOTE: A study was done a few years ago and there is a correlation between thyroid dysfunction and being prematurely grey. This is interesting to me because thyroid disorders run on both sides of my family but premature greying seems to only be on dads side. :confused:

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
My greatgrandmother went completely gray at 17 and she never died her hair. I think the important thing is that you are confident and prideful in your appearance.

Exactly, I've been going a bit salt and pepper over the last 4 years. It's distinguishing. I don't mind it at all.:biggrin1:

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I found my first grey hair about a month ago. I just plucked it out. One of my friends has been going grey since he was in his early 20s and is now in his mid 30s. He's got the Anderson Cooper look going on. I think that people look good with grey hair, especially if it's that cool silvery color or very white. Skip the blue rinses. LOL

Damian Johnson

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I was just reading an article by author Anne Kreamer called "Going Grey". It was about the increasing numbers of women who are either not dyeing their hair or ceasing to continue to dye their hair. When she went on Match.com she was surprised to see that she received three times as many responses in her naturally grey state than when she dyed her hair brown. What do you think? Does grey say stay away or are you willing to live on the edge of honesty?

Chief Dudess! Grey, especially silver-grey, is ultra sexy on a girl or a guy! Ive got a thing about silver-grey hair! Its soo cool! Its all about how people carry themselves :biggrin1:

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have no grey, and I'm hoping that I'll go strawberry blond and get some nice white streaks when I'm older like my dad did.

That's what's happening to me, I think. My hair was a warmer shade of red when I was younger and it's llghtened as i've grown older. My maternal great grandmother's hair turned white as she grew older and hopefully i'll follow her lead.I'm officially strawberry blonde but am known to change the shade of red in winter (see avatar). Red is a fun pigment to play with. :biggrin1:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have no grey, and I'm hoping that I'll go strawberry blond and get some nice white streaks when I'm older like my dad did. He had beautiful hair.
Going for that Bonnie Raitt look? Sounds good to me!

My first white hairs started showing up when I was about 16 years old. I didn't worry about it (it's an old family tradition).

I have dyed my hair before, but just for fun - not to cover the gray. My favorite was "black cherry." My skin didn't react well to the chemicals, though.

So, it turned silver, now it's turning loose. No big deal. If it gets any thinner on the top, I'll just start shaving my head. No hideous comb-over for me.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC, you have great hair. I love the color.

I really like grey/silver/white hair. What I don't like is my natural hair color, so I imagine I'll continue to dye it until it turns gray. As it is, I have little idea if I have any gray because I dye my hair most of the time. I don't think I do, and if my family is any indication, I won't gray until I'm into my 50s.

I once knew a family of women who, as they aged, had the most beautiful white, not grey, hair. It was snow white. One of the women was fair skinned, blue eyed and always had a stylish cut. When she wore red lipstick and dark eye makeup, the contrast was amazing. To date, she's the most beautiful over 60 woman I've ever known.

Hippie Hollow Girl

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I haven't always cared for my natural hair color which my hairdresser tells me is dark blonde......which keeps getting darker and darker and darker as I age. To me it is a mousy brown and I just get tired of it....so I find that I like to mess with it and change it up. It is so much easier and cheaper to just do it myself so that is usually what I do.....and I go for different shades of ash blonde. Right now though my hair is it's natural color with blonde highlights. I splurged and let my hairdresser help me....around Christmas. (I thought instead of doing it myself.....I would give someone some business so they might have a merrier Christmas.)

My hairdresser says I don't have any grey hair yet.....she told me that is why most women color their hair. I am 42 so I guess it is only a matter of time before I get my first one. I am not too worried about it.

I have 2 female cousins that have the same hair color as I do......and they have always had their hair frosted. This was something they started doing in the eighties......and I think they still do it today. I think it is where you highlight the hair with white or grey......Anyways they both look beautiful. It is a very attractive look on them. (they were doing this when they were like 14 years old) I just never could bring myself to intentionally put grey in my hair......no matter how good the look might be on me. I figure when I start getting grey hair that might be something I might try.