Going on a blind date. Any advice? Stories?

someotherguy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Hey everybody. I'm new to the dating scene and I have a blind date coming up this week and wanted to see if any of you have any advice. I've only been on a total of three dates in my life. One didn't result in anything (she actually brought along her sister), one didn't turn into anything romantic but we became friends and still are to this day. The third resulted in a one-night stand and me losing my virginity. But this is my first blind date. We've talked online for a month now and we share more than a few common interests but we haven't exchanged pics. Any advice for me? Have any blind date stories? Good ones? Nightmare ones?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Blind dates are so much fun! Honestly, I don't know why movies make them out to be so nightmareish. It is wonderful to go on a first date with someone whose personality has already won you over... especially if they happen to be hot. Good luck, have fun, be safe.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Listen If you have chatted on line it's not really a blind date... you know a little something about each other...
I've been out on blind dates and have run the gamut to Roy Cohn reincarnated to folks with undiagnosed Bi-polar!
I'm happy to report that my mainsqeeze and I were set up on a blind date and have been blissfully happy!
Good Luck!

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hey everybody. I'm new to the dating scene and I have a blind date coming up this week and wanted to see if any of you have any advice. I've only been on a total of three dates in my life. One didn't result in anything (she actually brought along her sister), one didn't turn into anything romantic but we became friends and still are to this day. The third resulted in a one-night stand and me losing my virginity. But this is my first blind date. We've talked online for a month now and we share more than a few common interests but we haven't exchanged pics. Any advice for me? Have any blind date stories? Good ones? Nightmare ones?

Exchange pics. Have fun. If you don't click, that's OK. You may have made a new friend (that was my attitude with dating in general).

My only blind date in high school began with a guy sweeping the chicken feathers out of his truck before I sat in it. We didn't click but it made for a great story. :smile:

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't go expecting there to be a sexual frisson, go with an open mind and consider it just meeting a new friend. Unfortunately there are a lot of shy people on the net and whilst on the net they can manage to forget their shyness but placed in a real life situation bang it's back with a vengeance, so don't go expecting the person to be the same as they are on the net, the net invites false intimacy where you share confidences and feel as if you've known someone for ever, when meeting in real life you have to take a step back and retrace the steps you've made knowing one another on the net.

Oh and arrange for a friend to phone you on your mobile about an hour into the date, then if it's absolutely horrific you can plead an emergency and leave.

Hope it goes well though, but try not to have any expectations placed on what you both said to one another on the net.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I did have a nightmare blind date. The guy was actually good looking enough, but an obnoxious personality and a Bible-thumper! :eek: He PREACHED at me on the date!!!

Thing is, the "friend" who set me up on this (and knew the guy) knew that I had a problem with fundamentalists. She later stabbed me in the back though. She probably thought all this was funny.

I did date a few guys from a personal ad I placed too. One was (sorry!) physically repulsive (ugly) but had a good personality, one was acceptable looking but too "macho" for me (I have a problem with "macho" too), and one was acceptable looking but on the homely side, but we became FWB for some time and he was one of the best lovers I've ever been with.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't go expecting there to be a sexual frisson, go with an open mind and consider it just meeting a new friend. Unfortunately there are a lot of shy people on the net and whilst on the net they can manage to forget their shyness but placed in a real life situation bang it's back with a vengeance, so don't go expecting the person to be the same as they are on the net, the net invites false intimacy where you share confidences and feel as if you've known someone for ever, when meeting in real life you have to take a step back and retrace the steps you've made knowing one another on the net.

Oh and arrange for a friend to phone you on your mobile about an hour into the date, then if it's absolutely horrific you can plead an emergency and leave.

Hope it goes well though, but try not to have any expectations placed on what you both said to one another on the net.

Very true. I'm extremely shy in real life. You wouldn't know it from here, though.