Going to Atlanta - maybe???

avsfan69

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey all, this has nothing to do with the overall topicality of the site, however since this is the only website online I am a member of, going to throw it out haha.

My job asked about my interest in potentially relocating to Atlanta, and since I have never been there a bit leery to say one way or the other. Just wondering from people who have been or current residents - good/bad/indifferent - Whats your thoughts on Atlanta?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey all, this has nothing to do with the overall topicality of the site, however since this is the only website online I am a member of, going to throw it out haha.

My job asked about my interest in potentially relocating to Atlanta, and since I have never been there a bit leery to say one way or the other. Just wondering from people who have been or current residents - good/bad/indifferent - Whats your thoughts on Atlanta?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Well, it's different from out west. The cost of living is less expensive than the north east and most of California. There are lots of young people (22-30). I just moved to one of the outer suburbs in June. Thus far everyone I have met has been pretty nice. Then again like attracts like. :rolleyes:

I'm a country girl at heart, so while I like going into Atlanta, I would never live there. That said, it's a far cry from New York City or Philadelphia.

I say go for it. You're young and don't have chick nor child as my mom would say. Prior to accepting the transfer I would clarify your duties and responsibilities. Will they pay for your move? Is there any type of signing/transfer bonus? Check out ajc.com | Atlanta Journal-Constitution for current prices on apartments to rent or homes to buy. If possible try to negotiate a paid week off to acclimate yourself to your new area, unpack, find the grocery store, dry cleaners, church, dentist, etc.

FYI - If you don't have a car then you definetely want to live near the MARTA line!

avsfan69

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Awesome, thanks! For sure would need more into what the actual job would be, but wanted to get some more info so I have everything accounted for.

I am from a town of about 9,000, so I think Salt Lake City is huge, thanks so much for the site. As things get closer that will be a good resource, so kudos again!

D

deleted116951

Atlanta is a great city. Pretty much the capital of the South. Plenty of things to do and see. Fairly healthy nightlife although one of the big bar districts, Buckhead, has been pretty much all bought out and they're putting in a bunch of high end retail and residential. We still have the Highlands or Atlantic Station though.

And the women...you can't beat a fine southern bell :) Most gorgeous in the nation.

inofthearts

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Atlanta is a fun city. I grew up in the suburbs, and now live in town. Plenty to see and do, although the heat and humidity sucks. These past couple weeks going outside has been like stepping into a sauna. But again, there is something for everyone. And if you don't have a car, get one. MARTA doesn't go enough places to let you really get to know the city.

And speaking of getting to know the city -- Atlanta has no geographical boundaries, so it tends to sprawl outwards instead of increasing its density by building upwards. This means that a lot of different neighborhoods develop, each with their own flavor. You've got downtown, midtown, Little Five, Atlantic Station, Virginia Highlands, Buckhead, and so on. These districts range from urban to modern upscale to eccentric-bohemian to artsy-fartsy and on and on.

All in all, its a good city. I love living here.

cmore925

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dude, you would love it in the Atl. If you are from a small town, then you can live in one of the smaller suburbs. You can always come into Atlanta when you there is a need. The people are friendly. The women are incredible. The night life is what ever you want it to be. All of the major sports are repressnted here.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've been there for a visit and I loved it. Houses are very affordable and I have considered moving there myself.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've only passed through, didn't get a chance to stop and check out the city.

I'm a fan of indie rock music so when I was driving through Atlanta I was enjoying WREK - their web site is wrek atlanta, 91.1 fm | quality, diverse - the college radio station from Georgia Tech.

I've heard good things about it, and also it's pretty close to Athens, GA where the University of Georgia is, and also the hometown of REM, B-52s and one of my current favorite bands, Of Montreal, too!