Golden Globes

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Lex, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

So, here is where we are:
    • The best film, best director, best screen play and best song went to a movie about two gay ranch hands.
    • The best actor award went to an actor playing a gay man.
    • The best actress award went to an actor playing a pre-op transexual.
    Amazing.

Progress being made slowly maybe? Any cynical thoughts?

2. BBB2.5

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    We watched it ..I was very pleased to see how it all came down. Me and my Partner both said the same thing....taking baby steps today...tommorrow maybe we will be running.
    :tongue:

3. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

At the same time, what does that truely imply?

Does it imply society has come to terms with human diversity or does it mean that there are intelligent people out there desperatly trying to bitchslap some sense into society and make it come to terms through entertainment?

If Society was truely confortable with itself these Golden Globes to "gay" films wouldnt be remarkable at all.

I see it as one of the opening scenes in the first act on what is probably going to be an epic drama.

4. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

The cynic's response: the progressive arts and cultural life of Weimar Germany were also the breeding-ground for political hatred that gave rise to the Nazi regime.

The arts and politics are seldom 'in step', and one needs to keep a reality-check at all times between celebrating representations and pushing to achieve anything similar in day-to-day life. Likewise, California- and New York-centred decisions are not necessarily indicative of feelings in the other 48 states.

It is an awesomely progressive step, for sure, but looking at GWB in power does lead one to think of the phrase 'two steps forwards, one step back'. Just so long as the forwards-thinking movement continues, it may just conquer in the end though.

5. B_Spladle

B_Spladle New Member

I'm pretty sure Brokeback Mountain is winning a ton of awards more due to the fact that it's a fucking amazing film than because of its gay theme.

6. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I agree with you Spadle. I am just pleased that its theme does not seem to be impeding its due recognition.

7. zaphod

zaphod New Member

Albums:
    Why I'm skipping the Oscars this year
    Jan 13, 2006
    by Ben Shapiro

Every year since I was old enough to stay up late, I've watched the Academy Awards. This year, however, I have absolutely zero desire to watch the Oscars. In recent years, lack of quality from Hollywood has turned the Academy Awards into a special-interest-group get-together. If you're crazy, gay, have a disability or are a member of a minority race, you'll likely be nominated for an Oscar; if your film tackles a "deep social issue" (normally an issue dear to the hearts of Hollywood's liberal glitterati), you'll have an excellent shot at grabbing a gold statuette.
    The combination of declining product quality and rising Hollywood disdain for mainstream America has opened the door to the agenda-film crowd. It began with the 1994 Oscars. "Schindler's List," "The Fugitive" and "In the Name of the Father" all received Best Picture nominations; other excellent films of 1993 included "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" "Searching for Bobby Fischer," "Shadowlands," "Fearless" and "In the Line of Fire."

Still, Hollywood had to take a shot at mainstream America, and they found their vehicle in "Philadelphia," throwing their honorary liberal activism award to Tom Hanks for his weak performance as a dying AIDS-stricken gay lawyer in "Philadelphia." Unbelievably, Hanks' cheesy hospital-bed routine beat out Liam Neeson in "Schindler's List" and Daniel Day Lewis in "In the Name of the Father." "Philadelphia" is, clinically speaking, a maudlin, ham-handed attempt at social commentary.

The remaining 1990s were filled with weak movies and weak performances. On average, high-school audio-visual clubs make better movies than Hollywood put together in the late 1990s.

Then, our illustrious decade: With great films scarce and politically mainstream Academy voters even scarcer, 2000 featured the victory of repulsive anti-suburbia and pro-homosexuality hit piece "American Beauty." Of course, it beat out a film lionizing an abortionist ("The Cider House Rules") and another attacking the tobacco industry ("The Insider"). Most disturbingly, the Academy handed Hilary Swank a Best Actress Oscar for playing a transgendered biological girl murdered by a bunch of hicks. And 2002 was the year of the African-American honorary Oscars, when Denzel Washington took home Best Actor for his decent if overrated performance in "Training Day" and Halle Berry took home Best Actress for her highly touted simulated orgasms in "Monster's Ball." In 2003, homosexual agenda films like "The Hours," "Frida" and "Far From Heaven" grabbed the largest share of nominations. In 2004, Hollywood couldn't hold off "Lord of the Rings" any longer, but Charlize Theron, playing an ugly lesbian serial killer in "Monster," won Best Actress. And last year, the Best Picture was forgettable pro-euthanasia film "Million Dollar Baby."

And then there's this year. "Brokeback Mountain," the stomach-churning story of two 1963 cowboys who get cozy while bunking down in Wyoming and then carry on their affair over the course of decades, is likely to grab Best Picture honors. The critics love it, mostly because critics love anything that pushes homosexuality as normal behavior. The New York Times raves about it, mostly because the Times has always wanted to carry a ridiculous story proclaiming that "there has always lurked a suspicion that the fastidious Eastern dude of Owen Wister's 'The Virginian' harbored stronger than proper feelings for his rough Western compadres, and that the Red River crowd may have gotten up to more than yarning by the campfire whenever Joanne Dru was not around." Maybe that's what Pinch Sulzberger thinks about when he watches John Wayne on screen, but the Times should be more careful when speaking for the rest of us. By the way, don't believe the "hit movie" hype -- this supposed blockbuster has netted a grand total of $8 million. "Hostel," last week's No. 1 movie, a cheap horror film, has already netted almost $15 million.

Best Actor honors are likely to go to Philip Seymour Hoffman for his performance in "Capote" -- this would mark the first time that an actor in a gay role has actually deserved his Oscar. Best Actress will probably fall to Reese Witherspoon in "Walk the Line," but supporters of Felicity Huffman's transgendered father/mother in "TransAmerica" could push her over the top.

Aside from pimping for GLAAD, the Oscars will provide a platform for other leftist talking points. "Good Night, and Good Luck," George Clooney's blatant attempt to bash the Bush administration through the mouth of Edward R. Murrow, and "Munich," Steven Spielberg's attempt to equate Arab terrorism with Israeli self-defense, will likely garner nominations. And to top it off, Comedy Central partisan hack Jon Stewart (who is less and less funny each day) hosts this self-congratulatory leftist feting.

I won't be watching. Neither will most Americans.

Hows that for a cynics response, from a right-wing web site. I don't agree with the article, but if you want to know how the "conservatives" feel, it is probably pretty accurate.

8. Shelby

Gold Member

One needs to take a closer look at who's doing the voting and why before getting too encouraged.

9. b1988

b1988 New Member

It sounds like Ben Shapiro's mind is a pretty scary place to be. I can't imagine that his world is much better. Karma is a bitch. w

10. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

I have to remind myself that New York and Hollywood (movie making) are not the rest of the country just like I keep reminding myself that San Francisco (politics) is not the rest of the country.

The people who vote on the Golden Globes are people who are in the business of making movies. They tend to recognize talent without much regard of where it comes from. (My partner is a Screen Actors Guild member and voter.)

I was rooting for Felicity Huffman,(never saw Desperate Housewives), Phillip Seymore Hoffman, Reese Witherspoon, Joaquin Phoenix, Ang Lee, and of course, Brokeback Mountain, each very deserving of the award.

I hope that even a handful of "middle Americans" will see Brokeback Mountain and Transamerica and have their xenophobia challenged.

11. RideRocket

Gold Member

I tend to agree with the author's main point in that Hollywood tends to use the Oscar's to push a social agenda.

My turning point was in 1998 when "Shakespeare in Love" was picked the best movie over "Saving Private Ryan". To me the movie is not about glorifying war, but rather about the sacrifices people are willing to make when asked.

I also think that movies selected as "Best Picture" should be moving, emotional, and inspiring. What more can be said about a movie that ended up having support centers setup outside the theaters for WWII veterans?

12. madame_zora

Gold Member

Ben Shapiro is but one of millions lamenting the demise of middle America being the only thing acceptable in speech, legislation or entertainment. If someone like that is pissed, I couldn't be happier.

13. Matthew

Gold Member

Extremists like Shapiro could never be good art/movie critics because they can't see past the blinders of their own ideology to judge the 'art'.

14. jay_too

jay_too New Member

There must be something wrong.....the winners [movies] were my choices. Usually, only one of my picks winds up on the stage.

Brokeback Mountain was an awesome short story that made an exceptional screenplay and movie.

For me, Walk the Line was mind bending; I could believe the Cashes were playing themselves.

15. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    damnit, i clicked on this thread expecting it to be about mme zora's chest, and all i find is a load of movie guff :mad:

16. madame_zora

Gold Member

Ha, I think my boobs have been overexposed enough to bore the shit out of everyone already.

17. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Not so. Far from it. :wink:

18. Shelby

Gold Member

The enlightened fringe seems more afraid of mainstream society than it is of them. Who's the xenophobe againi?

19. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

If having your tits in my face is BOREDOM, I don't wanna EVER get to know excitement! WOOOF~!!

20. madame_zora

Gold Member

Now, THAT is one spectacular avatar!

Draft saved Draft deleted