Golden Rule vs. Only Responsible for own feelings dilema

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Would greatly appreciate your feedback on this one.
I was speaking to someone regarding why I have not told people I am close to that I have gay leanings..I responded that I did not want to make these people feel awkward knowing something so personal. That person responded that you are only responsible for your own feelings not theirs,
I have heard that line before and know it is well accepted. The way I see it however, this is a time to remember the Golden Rule: Only do onto others what you would like done onto you... If anyone could shed some light on the meaning of these two pieces of sage advise that could possible compliment each other as opposed to working against each other it would be most appreciative....thanks

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Well, I thought this was a really thought provoking question...apparenlty it a more ..."lets move on to the next posting provoking question"

Still if there is anyone that would liketo tackle the dichotomy of the two philosophies...I would me most interested in what you have to say...thanks

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, I never understood it either. I guess Hitler, Stalin and Saddam Hussein were responsible for there own feelings.

You don't want to be overly concerned with other people's feelings over your own, but you don't want to not care at all about other people's feelings.

I guess the two can be reconciled by only caring about other people's feelings as much as they care about yours.

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I think you hit it on the head. Its all common sense. You do not want to take either idea to literally or you could go crazy. It really depends on each situation. In my case, I am not so crazy about dealing with this gay
feelings issue...so I don't advertise it. And I am not so crazy that this whole gay feelings issues has set me up for depression...so I don't advertise that either...But some how I have to deal with both.

Thanks Jov for your response...It really helped me sound out this issue