GoneA and headbang8 chew the fat.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Not that fat.

Noticing we were both Manhattanites, GoneA suggested that he and I meet for a civilised drink somewhere handy. Last night, we did just that. Well, he had a civilised drink while I chugged a couple of beers.

It's always something of a surprise when one meets the face behind the avatar. I didn't picture GoneA quite so tall as he is, and he's grown one of those fashionable precision beards. And he pictured me as a Richard Gere look-alike; the joke's on him, since I actually resemble Winchester on M*A*S*H. Ha ha. And I don't wear Hawaiian shirts, but then, I'm not the first member who doesn't resemble his gallery.

We gossiped about you all, affectionately. We marvelled at mindseye's clear prose, and Big Dirigible's dry wit. (We hate wet wit.)

Knowing that some LPSG gatherings are in the works, we wondered if it mightn't be a good idea to hold a meetup in Manhattan. Many NYC online communities meet regularly; I attended the Joe.My.God Blarg Hop, and have joined the NY Bloggers Meetup Group. They're easy to organize through Meetup.com. (I'd offer to get the ball rolling, but I'm moving soon.)

HB8

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Clue me in - I've never heard of any such animal. Here in Fortress Dirigible, beards and precision don't fit gracefully in the same sentence.
Kinda like a pencil moustache, except it sorta becomes a pencil goatee, with a pencil line of beard following the jaw into pencil sideburns.

Is that not right, GoneA? What do they call your kind of beard?

You've probably seen them, bigD. Or maybe it's a New York thing.

BlackCock85

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Kinda like a pencil moustache, except it sorta becomes a pencil goatee, with a pencil line of beard following the jaw into pencil sideburns.

I believe it's referred to as a chin-strap :smile:

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
When I write my autobiography (a book that will possibly have more pictures than words), meeting Headbang will be a chapter all by itself. I've never met a man with such an extraordinary perspective on life and societies all around the world!

And that’s really how the story begins…

In a Jazz Age-styled bar (while trying to remain unpretentious), Headbang and I sat with our legs crossed and talked at length about American, Japanese and German cultures. Headbang having lived in both Japan and Germany (at some point) was able to supersede my text-book knowledge of the three places, and let me know how things really work. His insight is quite amazing, actually. We talked about the different ways art is valued in these countries, famous landmarks (oh boy, HD’s ability to spit them out effortlessly is somewhat intimidating), and other general ways of life.

Be not deceived, though. Our meeting didn't turn into one big fat World History lesson. No, not all in fact. As the night progressed (and progressed it did), the contents of our discourse changed quite a bit -- to our personal lives! And this is where the story gets soooo good...but it's termed "personal lives" for a reason, so you'll just have to befriend Headbang for yourself if wanna know all the juicy details (as for me, my life's an open-book--just reread a few of my posts and you'll get the idea of what I droned on about).

And yes, we did gossip about Big D., Mindseye and many other presences on the board -- no worries, it was all good things, we swear. :wink:

Unfortunately, the night ended and we went out separate ways. Headbang hopped in a cab and I jostled uptown to my tiny apartment.

The best part is, however, that we agreed to do it again; however, next time it will more than likely be in another country. Outrageous, right? I know.

And -- eb-dee eb-dee eb-dee ebdee -- that's all folks!!

P.S

Oh, and my beard/goatee kinda looks like this, but not as thick: 1

Reactions: headbang8

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Well, I'm not saying they're not around, but I haven't noticed them. But since I'd barely notice if my own pants were on fire, that's not much of a testimonial. The closest I remember to such hair was on General Zod, and his wasn't trimmed to pencil lines.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Way to go, gentlemen! I just hope you had as much fun as I've had when meeting up with Lex, MercurialBliss, and NineInchCock160IQ. Next time I plan to be in NYC, I'll let ya both know.

We really do have some fine membership here at LPSG!

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
@ GoneA:
  • You must understand that I make a better first impression than I do second and subsequent ones! You're too kind.
  • When you publish your Botswana Diaries later this year, my recollections of life in a couple of dumb middle-class countries will look limp.
@ DCDEEP:
  • Yes, we did have a splendid time. The Baltimore-Washington LPSG clan obviously keeps in touch; we New Yorkers should do the same.
  • Alas, I shan't be amongst them for much longer. I'm moving abroad next month.
@ Lex:
@ Rawbone:
  • Since you've read the blog recently, you'll be pleased to know that we met for a drink at The Players (4-5 posts in). GoneA describes it as jazz-age, but it strikes me as somewhere between Futzy Victorian and McKinley Gothic.
  • Perhaps it seemed rather jazz-age, because that evening the club held a screening of some silent movies. The one we watched was a western saga, performed entirely by baboons. As a gesture to scale, instead of horses, they appeared to be riding goats. I kid you not.
@ Big Dirigible:
  • Fortress Headbang must be equally well defended. I'd never heard of a chin strap, either.
  • Hey, your pants are on fire! Ha ha. Just kidding. They aren't, really.
@ the public record:
  • "...the different way art is valued in these countries" = we both think haiku is a waste of time. A waste of very little time, but a waste nonetheless.
  • GoneA deserves a hearty round of congratulations; he's been accepted into Columbia. I don't envy him balancing this with his rather impressive day-job.
  • Sadly, it's not the famous Columbia Journalism School, or their writing programme--for which he would be eminently qualified. Doesn't everyone agree that GoneA should write professionally? (BTW, GA, here's the link for MediaBistro I promised. Not the CJS, but good for some inside tips)
  • If I have an interesting personal life, it's only because I stumbled upon it in utter confusion. May the universe bless those who have been charitable enough to teach me about love.
  • Later this year, GoneA will be young, charming, single, and in Paris on vacation. Now that's worth a thread when it happens.
A wise woman once taught me to value the quality people that enter one's life. The LPSG is a great source of them.