Good exercises?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Catharsis, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Catharsis

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'll try to explain my dilemma.

All through high school, I've been really healthy (or so I thought - I was 174 pounds at 5'10" when I last checked during high school, though I saw somewhere on here that 180 pounds was barely considered normal for someone who was 6' tall, but anyway...)

I did sports all year round and did exercises in my school's gym during practice to keep fit, and of course the sport itself was a good motivator to stay in shape.

Now... I just finished my first year of college, where I didn't do any exercise because I didn't really have the time (I'm grinding down and taking the maximum amount of classes I can - plus, I had some college credit from high school so I went into college taking classes that are harder than the average freshman), and during the weekends I did what the typical college student would do, partied at night and woke up at noon the next day, did homework and socialized during the day, and partied again that night.

When I came back home just about six weeks ago, I had a doctor's visit for my physical check-up, and found that I went from 174 pounds to 208 pounds in just over a year. I'm pretty sure all the drinking didn't help, but I'm more than pretty sure that my lack of exercise played a huge role in this weight gain. Aside from officially being classed in the obese category, I'm otherwise healthy - good blood pressure, balance, and no illnesses... But I want to lose the weight.

HOWEVER, I don't want to pay for a gym membership (I always relied on sports to keep my healthy so I didn't need to pay extra for a gym), so I'm looking for some good cardio exercises to do AT HOME. Remember - I'm just looking to lose weight, for now (I probably lost some muscle as well, but that's not my main issue at the moment). I presume that jogging and biking will be some popular responses, but anyway...

Any suggestions/plans/routines? Any necessary warm-ups and cool-downs? Thanks for your time.

Oh, also: Diet. I eat VERY healthy at home (my mom makes everything from scratch, everything's whole wheat, flax, fiber, few carbs, etc.), so I don't think it's necessary to suggest a change in diet. I now know to choose much wiser decisions for my food when I go back to college this coming fall.

2. cdog204

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you live near a lake or the ocean, SWIM! Great exercise. If you're totally averse to paying for a gym membership, you just need to spend as much of your time in motion as possible. Run, bike, walk, hike, climb, etc. Crunches and push-ups are good. You can also get a pull-up bar that hangs from any well-constructed doorway.

3. twoton

Gold Member

Albums:
    Go to Crossfit.com and start trying the Workouts of the Day (WOD). Read the message board and learn as much as you can. It's free, no registration required. Try it for about a month.

4. Catharsis

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've checked out that website a few times, and find their WOD to be incredibly vague - unless there's a place somewhere on the site where they go into more detail, I never did find it useful. Never checked out the message board, though.

cdog: well, my family is in a tight financial situation and I'm having trouble finding a job... and practically all money has gone to paying for college as that's a bit of a priority for me. we do have a pool, but it's uncomfortably cold at all time since it's in the shade all day long - really, we only go in when the weather is really hot and even then the pool is a bit too refreshing. but swimming is still an option... just not sure if there are a certain amount of laps I should do.

Biking and walking is certainly an option for me, as well, but I've never been much of a runner. The most running I've done in a sport was football (American), but probably the hardest sport I've done was swimming so I can see why it would be a good workout. But as for biking... I've only seen some sites tell me to bike for xxx meters/miles, and I have no idea what that's supposed to be. :p I'd rather see something tell me to bike for xxx minutes since THAT'S something I can easily measure.

thanks for the replies so far! looking for all the insight I can get.

5. atlclgurl

atlclgurl Member

Albums:
  6. twoton

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, if you're ever of a mind to go back to it, there are FAQs and videos that demonstrate everything in detail. :smile:

I find it works incredibly well for me, but there are a lot of folks who hate it.

7. MrMXYZPTLK

MrMXYZPTLK New Member

Go to wal-mart. They have the workout DVD's for 8 dollars each that you can do at home. Easiest workout to do would be to jog. All you need to do is go outside.

8. Catharsis

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well, I know that they have FAQs and videos on what the workouts are supposed to mean, but what I mean by vague is... well, I recall going on there and saw something like "stretch for 5 minutes" and I just thought, "well what am I supposed to do in the stretches?"

And I know that variety is supposed to be good for you, but the way I kept fit while doing sports was that we had a weekly schedule, and that's something I was pretty much looking for now. The message boards might have something for me... But I know a lot of exercises have a mix of cardio and weights. I just want some cardio. :p

And I have honestly never really considered the videos at wal-mart... I just wonder how reliable they are? It might be something I could use in college, but I think I was looking for something to do outside. I'll go biking more often, I suppose, I can just go until I get extremely tired - I'm sure I'll be sweating a lot by then. :p

9. erratic

Gold Member

Around here they call it the freshman 20. It's very common to gain weight in your first year of university.

Alcohol is liquid bread. Never, ever underestimate the power that alcohol has to make you balloon out of shape. It's not called a "beer belly" just because it alliterates.

Eating meal plan food + partying + no exercise = freshman 20.

That's probably because you've been a healthy person your entire life, until the last year. You're also young, so your body can take more abuse than it soon will be able to.

You're right: running, biking, swimming. Cardio and eating well is how you lose weight. There's no secret to it. You say they haven't been routines for you before. Time to start.

Yeah, stretching is always good. If you know anyone who's in to yoga, ask them to show you. Yoga's good for core strength as well as flexibility.

Get her to show you how to cook like she does. Get her recipes, go to the market with her, cook food with her. I got my parents to show me how to cook after first year and I saved a lot of money, felt better, and ate better as well.

Also, if you can cook well your friends will love you and your girlfriends/boyfriends will be impressed. Trust me.

#9 erratic, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  10. Catharsis

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thanks! Yeah, around here we call it "freshman 15" but I've gone and doubled that!

When I'm home, exercising should be a lot easier for me. I don't mind biking at all, I was outside today doing just that for about an hour and worked quite a sweat. There are some nice countryside roads at home, and I also noticed it was a nice day today.

That got me wondering what I'm going to do when it rains or snows. :p I guess that's when the Wal-Mart DVDs come in, eh?

11. twoton

Gold Member

Albums:
    The most important thing about losing weight is you have to burn more cals than you eat. It's the golden rule that many people tend to lose sight of.

12. Catharsis

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Oh, of course. I think that's something I'll have to be careful of when I go back to college (the diet, anyway) because I think I do plenty of walking just between classes.

But while I'm home, I eat what my mom cooks and like I said in my first post, it has to be healthy for my dad. Actually... I just realized I didn't include that in my post... But now you know why she cooks healthy. :p Yeah, I'll have to get her to write down the recipes for me because I think it's a type of diet that I'll want to continue throughout my life when I go out on my own.

13. erratic

Gold Member

Shovel the snow. It's great exercise ;)

I'm assuming that you'll be back at school during the cold months? If your school has an indoor track - and most do - use it.

14. Catharsis

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yeah, we get the last half of December and the first half of January. That's when the heaviest snow seems to hit us.

Anyway, some good news: I lost 6 pounds in the past week! Just went biking for a bit every day except for one when it rained. If I keep it up, I'll be back to "normal" by the time school starts again!

Draft saved Draft deleted