Good Housekeeping

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Okay, this may seem trivial, but sometimes I think it might be useful to discuss things about how we post. One thing that I'd like to see us try to stay away from is when we are replying to a very long post, please don't quote and repost the whole thing! You can refer to it verbally without having to repost the whole thing, it makes no sense to take up half a page just to say "I agree" when you could just say "Mr. speaker, I agree".

Okay, next!

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
And try to limit 'cutesy' conversations to PM's or e-mail. Believe it or not, it's boring to outsiders.

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Good point, Zora. And I wholeheartedly second Pecker's sentiments. I could live with a lot less insider back-patting and high-fiving ("Oh, you're just the best, Pookie!" or "You're so cute, Snookums!") cluttering the boards. In addition to being boring, these content-free posts tend to deflect threads away from their original purpose.

Steve :)

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Cutesy converstaions boring? Not always. Add to this that I don't do much in the way of those private message thingies (only done 4 or 5). The cutesy conversation thing can go to extremes at times, but it also allows us all to see who a person is. It gives (me at least) a deeper connection to how the person thinks. It moves beyond simple yes and no answers which if that were all that were here would possibly kill this board in less than the time of a spring sneeze. I do however agree that I would be well advised to stop including entire quotes in my replies. My usual reason for putting at least the part of the post I am responding to is because of posters who will edit after the first response or 2 has come in making a later reader wonder what the heck is being talked about since the connector is gone.
And in all fairness Pecker, haven't you yourself responded with witty one-liners? If you took that away it would diminish your sparkling character. One-liners and idle chit-chat can fall into the same category (in a round-about way). Just as I don't want your one-liners to vanish I don't want the cutesy conversations to vanish. Where there are posters who do it on continual basis, I skip over the majority of their posts, only stopping if the first few words grab me (In much a similar way I would figure as you are with all of my posts).

Anyways back to the original where MZ started here... It certainly would make reading a lot less time consuming.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I would ask that maybe we develop and post a FAQ so that newbies don't start thread after thread about the SAME thing EVERY day. Part of why I have slowed down in replying to posts is that its hard to sift through all the crap to get to the goodies. Lots of issues/topics deserve a new thread--underwear and size debates do not. The search function works, yo.

hung_big: POSTING FOR DUMMIES (Yes this means me :p):

- Remember, there is and EDIT button

- Better yet, reread your posts before hitting "Add reply" so it is coherent and actually gets a point across

- Listen to forum Gods like Jana, Jacinto and Jon (kidding :p)

- If you are really bad at spelling and grammar, to the point it is not legible, use a simple word processor to check over your post

- Make sure to check back on previous pages as to not repeat topics

- I STRONGLY second Lex's suggestion of a "Most commonly asked" section (or something along those lines)

- Try not to use too much BBcode if you don't know how it works; it just clutters your post up

- One that I should personally take into consideration: Too many emoticons are not necessary; they too junk up posts

- Look at where on the board a certain topic would fit. I dislike seeing "How big do you think Usher is?" in Meet and Greet.

Cutsy conversation is A.OK with me. I think that it is one of the things that make this board so family-like. If you interact and have fun on the boards, you become more real, more personal. If everyone were stoic on did not reply with any emotion or have any fun, this board would become stale. PLUS, Etc. Etc. and Meet and Greet (occasionally) are reserved for this stuff. If you came to look for or at big penises there are many sub-sections dedicated to such things.

carolinacurious:
Good point, Zora. And I wholeheartedly second Pecker's sentiments. I could live with a lot less insider back-patting and high-fiving ("Oh, you're just the best, Pookie!" or "You're so cute, Snookums!") cluttering the boards. In addition to being boring, these content-free posts tend to deflect threads away from their original purpose.

I agree to a point, sometimes they bug me (sometimes A LOT) and I certainly don't engage in them but yet I don't expect everyone to post the way I do and I understand that some of what gets on my nerves is the very reason that other people are here.

hung_big: I completely agree Snookie-Poo Carolina....kidding, KIDDING (I don't wanna get shot!) :p

Though, I do agree. Alot of what annoys me on this board is exactly what brings people here. I, for instance, hate those who come here solely because of cock and are cock-crazed. I do realize that this site is meant for that and I've learned to accept it, but it annoys me none-the-less.

The converse is true as well. I love the board interaction and the fun we have here, while you yourself dislike it. It's a trade off and everyone can find what they love about this site.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@Apr 29 2005, 04:42 AM
Okay, this may seem trivial, but sometimes I think it might be useful to discuss things about how we post. One thing that I'd like to see us try to stay away from is when we are replying to a very long post, please don't quote and repost the whole thing! You can refer to it verbally without having to repost the whole thing, it makes no sense to take up half a page just to say "I agree" when you could just say "Mr. speaker, I agree".

Okay, next!
[post=306137]Quoted post[/post]​
Me too!

See how annoying that was? Trim the post.

carolinacurious:
See how annoying that was? Trim the post.

Yeah, while I do like specific quotes, (see above) and maybe even I get a bit carried away sometimes, quoting several paragraphs and then just adding, "Right On Brother!" at the end can be a bit much.

I hope we can all agree on this one.

The converse is true as well. I love the board interaction and the fun we have here, while you yourself dislike it.

Yeah, I hate fun, that's just the kind of peckerwood I am. Just joking HB. My point was precisely not to inhibit anyone else from the friendly banter they enjoy. I have my style and sometimes I think I'm wading through stuff that seems to be there just to increase someones post count (Is there a gold watch or something no ones told me about?)

But, I DON'T CARE. Post away. The board, and the world, would be boring if everyone were just like me. I also realize that PM's aren't practical for the non-paying members, you only get 10.

Right On Brother!

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
OK, I admit it. I'm addicted to the emoticons! :eek:

But you guys will just have to excuse me while I work though it. Being new to message board culture, I think I have to sort of get it out of my system, you know? Maybe once I've found a legitimate use for each one of them that I'll be able to let it go.

Or maybe not? :shrug:

(OK, sorry about that. Is there a twelve step program for this?)

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
HI folks,

I am glad we are attempting to reign in some of our corporate bad habits, but I hope we dont swing a bit too hard to the other side and become nit-picking board nazis. Once again, this is a board where people are supposed to be able to feel free to discuss issues, a support group. Thanks.

naughty

hung_big: There's a thirty step program for it, hun. Sorry to say...but there's no easy around it *acts mockingly dramatic*

Of course, emoticons can sometimes be used in good fun, but it annoys me when someone says something like:

Oh really? :eek: That's Hilarious! :D

Am I missing something? :huh:

Let me say poinless, choppy sentences so I may use emoitcons...haha. B) :lol: :D :p :) :wub: :angry: :( :unsure: :huh: :mellow: :excl: :blush: :blink: :wacko:

Yah...you get the idea. Don't worry buddy, the novelty will wear off. I'm glad they have a restriction of 20 or something

Oh...Carolina, could I ask a favor of you? Could you call me Chris? I kinda dislike being referred to as my screenname. Thanks in advance, much appreciated :)

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
A lot of things don't annoy me. I enjoy most posts and I ignore what doesn't interest me. There is one thing though that does bother me and I am sure I have been guilty as well.

Please be careful about criticizing others for the very things you do. For instance. If cursing bothers you, then don't curse yourself. If vulgarities from others bother you, then don't use vulgar words yourself. If you don't want someone really nitpicking your belief on something, then don't nitpick someone else's belief either.

This is the thing that I see people do. I have read posts from people complaining about something someone did only to see them do it just a few days later.

What is fair for one is fair for all.

Other than that I don't like too many rules. I haven't figured out how to use the quote within my post feature. But then I really haven't tried to figure it out. I really like those that do it effectively. It makes for very good reading. But I am like Dr. Rock when it is done wrong, it makes it so hard to read. And I know that I myself did that out of ignorance and not knowing how to fix it.

hung_big: Lemme teach you Freddie!

Use [ quote ] and [ /quote ] to open and close your quote boxes (minus the spaces). Place the desired quoted text between them.

For example

= [ quote ] Hello [ /quote ]

You can also add and information (person you are quoting, date, time etc) along side by placing and equals and seperating by commas. For example, [ quote = Name, Date, Time ] and close with [ /quote ]

For example:

Originally posted by Freddie@ Jan 1st 2005, 12:00AM
I am quoting Freddie on Jan 1st
= [ quote=Freddie, Jan 1st 2005, 12:00AM ]I am quoting Freddie on Jan 1st [ /quote ] (minus the spaces)

I hope this helped....

carolinacurious: Trying to make a good example of the quote system AND how to fix a really messed up one and NOW I can't get it to work.