Good Looks = Good Genes?

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is this true. I hear this a lot. But what about the good looking people who are short, or have subpar eyesight, hereditary diseases, etc. Do they still have good genes?

And do "unattractive" people automatically have bad genes?

Are looks important to you?

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
I think that genetics can be compared with design - The best designs are the simplest, functionally perfect creations wrapped in an attractive style. (eg. I-pod)

Good looks are one of many good genes but because they are superficial, they often take priority over more important qualities when viewed from a distance. They can hide genetic defects from others and improve the chances of meeting a partner with superior genes and therefore improve the genetic make-up of their children.

In design terms, think Chinese copies of well known brands, people may have doubts about how well they will function or last but they look good so some people still want to buy them.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Good looks CAN be the confluence of good genes and adequate nutrition in development.

But plenty of ugly people live long and healthy lives.
And plenty of good looking people are as dumb as a post.

We tend, biologically, to be attracted to people who are significantly different from us... not so much in looks, but in chemistry.
People too often hook up with people of different tissue type or blood type to be accounted for by chance...

This fact of chemistry in attraction is probably an evolved insurance that we mix our genes up... don't mate with folks too closely related....

But almost no one is the perfect package. beautiful, and smart and funny, and ambitious and healthy....

Pick the things that you can be happy with...

Eventuially, Looks desert us all.

D

deleted213967

You're packing so many questions into 1 thread...You must harbor the lazy gene :biggrin1:.

It would be hard to argue that "good looks" are manufactured by the environment only...Obviously, they come in great part from the genetic heritage (i.e. not simply mom and dad).

I am not certain why you'd assume that the genetic causes of "good looks" would completely overlap those of "good health".

As for caring...everyone cares. I can't help but smile when I skim dating sections and stumble across a self-proclaimed gay man insisting he is completely indifferent to looks, seeking out only "heart, compassion, a desire to live one's life to the fullest".

Those attributes could describe his own 92-year-old grandmother...

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
good looks is all about symmetry. All it takes is for one eye to be bigger or lower then the other or you mouth is to large for your other features and your a hag. Its odd how people just know what beauty is. Beautiful people don't necessarily have beautiful children and vis versa.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
the good looking people...

Do they still have good genes?

It depends on what you think are good genes.

And do "unattractive" people automatically have bad genes?

No. Because a person is unattractive doesn't mean they have bad genes.

Are looks important to you?

I dunno. I never really thought about that. I have dated some really good looking guys and some ugly guys. Some of the ugly guys were really mannerable and respectful. The good looking guys get away with murder.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Okay this is interesting because a lot of people DO go for looks and I've heard people say good looking people have good genes.

Someone could have the perfect genes with immunity from every known disease but if they were unattractive (at least in the Western World) they might not procreate - at all - or copiously.

I don't go for looks either...just big tits. And I mean just big tits...I can overlook everything else if she's 'stacked'. So I guess I am not completely limiting myself as the people who go on looks are.

This is just another post to say that looks aren't everything. When I have children it will not be necessarily be based on looks but moreso on genetic health and anyone with a history of hereditary diseases etc will not be my baby's mama!

I was thinking how difficult it is to choose the right mate, so many factors to consider.

PS I wasn't saying that good looks = good genes. In fact I was quite sure that wasn't the case. I was just saying that that seems to be the general perception.

Nor does it mean that ugly people don't procreate. I've seen some faces that would stop a truck but they're married and cranking out the kids. I do tend to think that attractive people tend to go for other attractive people. It's rare to see a disparity in looks in a couple.

D

deleted213967

I've seen some faces that would stop a truck

Note to self: Thank LPSG board for educating me on the true meaning of "stopping a truck".

All those years I thought "stopping a truck" meant the opposite: chicks sooo hawt every trucker on the planet would stop to pick them up.

:redface:

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've read that the relationships that work are those where one partner is less attractive than the other.

And what I meant is that less attractive people are less likely to procreate, at least as much, as more attractive people since in society a lot of emphasis is put on looks.

So much to consider...

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've read that the relationships that work are those where one partner is less attractive than the other.

And what I meant is that less attractive people are less likely to procreate, at least as much, as more attractive people since in society a lot of emphasis is put on looks.

So much to consider...

I forgot what comedian said... If you want my advice guys...marry an ugly woman...she'll appreciate you more and you don't have to worry about someone trying to steal her from you because no one else wants to sleep with them.

D

deleted213967

I forgot what comedian said... If you want my advice guys...marry an ugly woman...she'll appreciate you more and you don't have to worry about someone trying to steal her from you because no one else wants to sleep with them.

...Sounds like "Zucker Baby"...:biggrin1:

but in his case the good-looking GF was insanely jealous and you know what they say about a woman's scorn...

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Same with women with rounder breasts get more attention due to fact rounded breasts represent fertility

They certainly get more of my attention, whatever the reason. Round breasts -- yay!! :clap:

good looks is all about symmetry.

Is they really?

Just because some is good looking dont mean they look good in jeans.

Indeed: I have seen good-looking people with bad jeans, and bad-looking people with good jeans. I have also seen both good-looking and bad-looking women named Jean. Clearly, it is difficult to make reliable generalizations on this point.

Or an old one: see Benjamin Franklin's "Old Mistresses' Apologue," especially its conclusion: "8thly and Lastly, They are so grateful!!"

Men marry the hottest women they can afford

Women marry the wealthiest men they can attract

That sums matters up very concisely!