Good news on the G/L marriage front

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by surferboy, Feb 5, 2005.

1. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    http://www.ny1.com/ny/TopStories/SubTopic/...tentintid=47893

Now, I know it's like, not affecting the whole country, but it's totally a step forward. Yay for Judge Doris Ling-Cohan for knowing and enforcing the law! I just the appeal doesn't fuck it up (though I doubt it would).

2. madame_zora

Gold Member

Well, at least it's a step in the right direction, we have to start somewhere. I am afraid the appeals process may render the ruling impotent, but at least it will be on the books as a foot through the door.

3. cruztbone

Gold Member

DITZYSURFERBOY, you are not so ditzy! I am so glad somebody else besides me noticed this today! This is a major setback for the Bush agenda and the right wing fundamentalists. This will have some influence on the similar court suit currently in the California courts. Lets hope the NY court sets a precedent that CA will follow, so this president gets a major wake up call!
    Also, on a personal note, I live around many surfer boys here on the central coast, and they arent so ditzy either. Actually, many of them are intelligent and thoughtful, like you.

4. jonb

Gold Member

Meanwhile, this happens. It's not likely to succeed; there are too many traditionals who either take nadleeh into consideration or are afraid of a fundie slippery slope.

5. jay_too

jay_too New Member

Nix..

I hope you are right about this being a step forward. However, this may serve as a catalyst for more red state constitutional amendments banning same sex marriages.

Personally, I am beginning to think I would like to be required to have a passport to visit Kansas. Since the blue states are contiguous to our northern neighbor, think the United States of Canada.

jay

6. mindseye

Gold Member

I've been following the story in New York, and was thrilled to hear the verdict. A few footnotes to the story:

If the state's appeal is unsuccessful, it is unlikely that the state could amend its constitution. The amendment process requires ratification by the current state legislature, re-ratification by the next session of the state legislature after the next general election, and then ratification by the voters of the state. Because an intervening general election is required, this means that it would be impossible to amend the constitution within two years. (And I hope that in two years, straight people will be over this!)

Also, New York names its courts weird: The "Supreme Court", from which this week's verdict came, is not the highest court in the state; there are two higher courts that the state can appeal to.

7. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:

I can be ditzy at times. But it comes from my nickname in PE from Freshman year of high school. My coach couldn't remember my name, so like, when he wantes me, he'd tell someone to "get that ditzy surfer boy for me". So like, it stuck.

8. jonb

Gold Member

The problem with that, jay_too, is that there are many blue counties in red states. Shannon County represents everything the Democrats were supposed to represent, prior to the Lieberman lock-step.

9. yaoifun

yaoifun New Member

I dont see why people get so worked up about G/L marriages...it doesnt effect straight people, so i dont see why they get all worked up about it. What ever happened to separatation of church and state? Oh wait...dont answer that! Good ol' Dubya stuck them together again and is trying to amend the constitution to prohibit it. :p whatever this whole country is screwed up. :p

10. jonb

Gold Member

Because it'll ruin their marriage. Apparently they have a male lover waiting in the wings and once they can get married they'll divorce their wives for the male lover.

Or something similar.

11. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:

See, I couldn't care less if the church won't marry you. That is their right. However, I don't believe that the government should have the power to say who can and cannot get married. And, news flash President George W. Prick; marriage was a pagan ritual, not a Judeo-Christian one. Actually, the Judeo-Christians took a lot of their customs from pagans.

12. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, marriage in the Bible involves some degree of purchase, and many marriages were forced.

13. davec2k

davec2k New Member

I hope you yankees sort things out for your G\L marriages. There's been vicories won left and right up here in Canada, and our prime minister is dead set on making them legal. Though, i'd never marry a guy, I don't see why its such a huge issue.

It's funny how people only like equality when its convenient.

14. jonb

Gold Member

To all my brethren in the red states, gay marriage only affects you if you're a homo. Therefore I'm willing to estimate some 70% of you are all a bunch of fags.

15. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:

First of all, I don't know, nor do I care if yer joking or not, but you could have worded that a lot different. Secondly, yer right. Two men or two women getting marrier affects no one other than the marriage party.

16. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, but unfortunately, we've tried reasoning with them, and it didn't work, so calling them "a bunch of fags" seems to be the only way to get through to them.

17. madame_zora

Gold Member

Yeah, it's certainly the thing they'd be the quickest to deny, but I hate to place that burden on all the goodhearted fags that don't deserve to be associated with those thick-headed morons.

18. jonb

Gold Member

Yeah, there's nothing worse than a closet case. It's kinda sad; there are blue spots in a lot of the Midwestern and Southwestern states. Guess what they correlate with.

19. mistergrasso

mistergrasso Member

What about a homophobe?

20. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    What about a homophobe?
    [post=282004]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Or a homophobic closet case :wacko:

Draft saved Draft deleted