Good Ole Dubya

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Pappy, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Pappy

Pappy Member

Here is a link that shows the real Dubya. This is not the God fearing, wholesome and humble man that was portrayed in his campaign.

One Finger Salute

Just another reason I didn't vote for him.

2. madame_zora

Gold Member

Lovely gentleman, and such ettiquette!

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Alas, like many of us, he wasn't always the God-fearing, wholesome and humble man he aspires to be now.

4. Onslow

Gold Member

So he hasn't always been a Saint. What's the big deal? The fact is (and please note I place extra heavy emphasis on FACT); Junior acts according to what he truly believes in his heart is the best for not only the American people (populus) as a whole but also for the future of the world. Would you prefer a return to Bubba who acted only with one thought in mind--looking good to the public?
    In the past week I have watched what really placed the final nails in the Democratic party's coffin: Whine, moan, insult and a few other things as well. A winning moment was the other day on one of those cable news channels where Geraldine Ferrarro single handedly destroyed people left and right. She sat there in her usual sanctimonious piety and indicated that the only people with ''brains and talent'' live in the coastal states (Washington, Oregon, California, New York, Massachussetts, not however Florida or the Carolinas) she in effect dismissed the residents of Ohio, Indiana, Oklahoma etc. as being a bunch of rubes who couldn't figure out how to scratch their noses without 12 people to help them. In that moment I saw it... The vileness that many Democrats convey to others. A few days later I was informed that the country was going to Hell because of those "Awful and ignorant Evangelicals". Hmmm... so Evangelicals, believing in God are awful and ignorant?

I voted for Junior because at least I know where he stands on issues and I do not neede to worry or wonder about any last minute punches he might throw if his ratings were to slip in the polls. Will I soon be plummetting into the depths of Hell? Perthaps. But not for having voted with good conscience and awareness. I am more likely to end up twisting over the flames for other evil deeds such as having ceded my membership in the NRA or allowing myself too many pleasurable moments with men who were involved with others or for deliberately stealing items from the five and dime when I had the money but just hated the manager of the store. Maybe it'll come down to the night on the old Lincoln Highway where I deliberately smashed into the side of a Jaguar (the car not the animal) and then hit the gas and sped off or the time up in Lewiston when I ran a red light..and then several more!. The one thing I am fairly certain of though is that choices made from my heart will not be held against me.
    Beyond all this, what say we all try to support Junior over the next 4 years? I had made clear I'd do my best to support Kerry if he had won and I think that's all any American citizen can do, offer full support.

Than goodness that we have a strong leader to continue us along for the next 4 years.

5. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

I actually thought it was funny and i would have laughed just the same if it was Kerry. I think it shows that they are human afterall. But that's just me....

It actually apparently (can I say that? :p ) was filmed during his last months as the governor of Texas and it was meant for Karen Hughes (which i suppose is the woman that was "always telling him what to do").

6. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke New Member

The polarity in America is perfectly clear in your post and you are clearly part of it.

Everything you say here about the Democrats is pretty much the reverse of how those people view the Republicans.

Certainly Democrats are conteptuous of 'fly-over' country, just as surely as Republicans rue about the dens of immorality known as the East and West Coast.

And the "vileness" that you mention, is exactly what Democrats thought of much of what passes for "policy" in the Republican party.

And the sanctimoniousness of Ferraro could only be matched by the self-righteous hypocrisy of Limbaugh or O'Reilly (or insert favourite rightwing pundit/commentator/entertainer).

All I can say from my non-American vantage point, is that the Republican Party is as vile as the Democratic Party down there. I can't imagine how horrible it must be to live in a country that takes political partisanship to such hideous levels of extreme and mindless passion!

It seems both party's supporters are locked in a slugfest that serves the interest of the ruling elites by ignoring them.

7. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I understand and respect your call for unity but did the Republicans drop their opposition and automatically support Bill Clinton? I'll take GWB's initiatives over the next 4 years on a case-by-case basis and evaluate them on their merit.

SG

8. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke New Member

I understand and respect your call for unity but did the Republicans drop their opposition and automatically support Bill Clinton? I'll take GWB's initiatives over the next 4 years on a case-by-case basis and evaluate them on their merit.

SG
    [post=263154]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Damn fine point SpeedoGuy! I'd say the Democrats owe Bush the same level of respect that Republicans gave to Clinton.

9. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks, LL.

But I'm still just a bit puzzled why Onslow labels the Dems (meaning me and more than 50 million other US voters) as whiners, vile and ignorant and then asks us to unwaveringly support GWB?

SG

10. madame_zora

Gold Member

Onslow, the very FACT that you emphasied FACT in declaring dubya's motivations pretty well invalidated everything you said after. Neither you, nor I, nor anyone can know for a FACT what is in the mind of another person! We formulate OPINIONS about their character, and on this we disagree as to junior's, but even I would never claim to know what his intentions are as a FACT, it's just ridiculous.

The things that are FACTS are things that have already transpired, they're in the past. We have in fact lost jobs, the economy is in fact the lowest it's been in 75 years, civil rights have in fact taken a turn toward the past (which in my opinion is sad). The FACT remains that at least half of the country thinks these things are okay, or they are ignoring them for whatever reason. We are in fact in a war that is not about terrorism, but about, umm, human rights? Excuse me if I get a little nauseous being told that dubya cares about Iraqui's human rights when he so clearly doesn't care much about ours! Okay, so we built a pipeline in Afghanistan already (fact), does that really mean we want oil to come out of it? Yes, this is sarcasm, I can't believe people can't look at true FACTS and formulate more realistic conclusions. I don't think dubya gives a rats' behind about God, abortion, gun control, or gay marriage, it is my express OPINION that these were simply platforms he used to secure the votes he needed to continue being the war president, which he appears to enjoy greatly as it was the one thing that improved his popularity. It is a FACT that he had one of the lowest approval ratings of any president prior to 9/11- you can look that up, it's not an opinion.

No one (in my opinion) is going to hell for voting their conscience, but that doesn't mean bush is right just because you believe in him. He's also not wrong just because I don't. I wholeheartedly gave him the benenfit of the doubt after the last election debaucle, but his actions and behaviors were those of a man I simply could not support, I doubt he will suddenly become someone new now! No, I won't be offering my support now, and I'm sure no one will cry about that. I do believe with all my heart that many, many people who voted Republican did so in reaction to fear tactics and repetitive sound bytes and I resent that. I don't resent a careful, studied opinionated person voting their conscience, but I know (at least in my heart) that many people don't put very much effort into making their selection.
    It has been my personal experience that in talking with many voters from both sides, most knew very little about the issues and were voting for the guy they liked more! I find that disgusting coming from either side.

I didn't have any real point here other than wanting to object to your stating your opinions as facts. I know I have done it too in the past, but am trying to separate the two whenever possible. My opinions are far more inflamatory, but of no real use in an adult discussion.

11. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Because the "sound bites" and rush limbaugh et al, told them to?

12. Imported

Gold Member

gwinea2000:
    Well, if you get your "facts" from crap like Farenheit 9/11.....
    In FACT, there is no functioning pipeline currently running through Afghanistan. Work was started on one (led by UNOCAL), but it never saw completion. Note that this project began AND ENDED well before Dubya was on the national scene. Besides, if it actually brought some jobs and business to the barren country that is Afghanistan, would it be so horrible? (August of 1998.)

FYI:
    "Afghanistan as an Energy Transit Route:
    Due to its location between the oil and natural gas reserves of the Caspian Basin and the Indian Ocean, Afghanistan has long been mentioned as a potential pipeline route, though in the near term, several obstacles will likely prevent Afghanistan from becoming an energy transit corridor. During the mid-1990s, Unocal had pursued a possible natural gas pipeline from Turkmenistan's Dauletabad-Donmez gas basin via Afghanistan to Pakistan, but pulled out after the U.S. missile strikes against Afghanistan in August 1998. The Afghan government under President Karzai has tried to revive the Trans-Afghan Pipeline (TAP) plan, with periodic talks held between the governments of Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Turkmenistan on the issue, but little progress appears to have been made as of early June 2004 (despite the signature on December 9, 2003, of a protocol on the pipeline by the governments of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Turkmenistan). President Karzai has stated his belief that the project could generate $100-$300 million per year in transit fees for Afghanistan, while creating thousands of jobs in the country.

Given the obstacles to development of a natural gas pipeline across Afghanistan, it seems unlikely that such an idea will make any progress in the near future, and no major Western companies have expressed interest in reviving the project. The security situation in Afghanistan remains an obvious problem, while tensions between India and Pakistan make it unlikely that such a pipeline could be extended into India and its large (and growing) gas market. Financial problems in the utility sector in India, which would be the major consumer of the natural gas, also could pose a problem for construction of the TAP line. Finally, the pipeline's $2.5-$3.5 billion estimated cost poses a significant obstacle to its construction."
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/afghan.html

As for "voting for the guy you like more" -- the EXTREME majority (over 70%) of Kerry's votes were from people whose reasoning was "I don't like Bush."

**Please note that I voted for NEITHER major candidate, and I'm not a huge Bush supporter either.

13. Onslow

Gold Member

Because the "sound bites" and rush limbaugh et al, told them to?
    [post=263185]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

If you go back and read over what I said, I said MANY decomcrats convey vileness to others, I did not say all democrats although it seems to be a growing majority. Keep in mind I live in a blue state and am surrounded by democrats and other assorted liberals on a regular basis so the sound bites usually being tossed towards me are decidedly anti-Bush.
    As for Limbaugh, I haven't really put too much attention towards him for about 10 years now--these days I just hug my Jerry Falwell doll close and listen to what he has to say when I pull his ears. In other words I spent the better part of this year looking over every piece of information I could find on both candidates and the more I looked, the more it seemed that kerry would be a dangerous choice and so I proudly voted for Junior...although now that I think about it, perhaps it was only because of that sexy picture of his dad on the cover of Newsweek several years ago sporting a lovely pair of running shorts! Nope. It was indeed my viewing of all the stuff I could on both kerry and Bush and in the final picture I know I did what I felt was right. Now if this means that I will be branded a fool then so be it (and yes I have also been called a fool, by the democrats I have talked with in recent months.)
    Now let me get back to my Jerry Falwell doll and tapes of the Old Time Gospel Hour as originally broadcasted from Lynchburg Virginia. I really must hurry Jerry's fluttering his eyes... it must be a code.

14. mindseye

Gold Member

Well, your boy just nominated a new Attorney General who
    • was general counsel for Enron
    • has described the Geneva Convention as "obsolete" and "quaint"
    • as legal counsel for the State of Texas, concealed from his governor that a death row inmate was mentally retarded
    • endorsed the use of torture in Iraqi prisons

This was what you wanted?

15. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Well, your boy just nominated a new Attorney General who
    • was general counsel for Enron

• has described the Geneva Convention as "obsolete" and "quaint"

• as legal counsel for the State of Texas, concealed from his governor that a death row inmate was mentally retarded

• endorsed the use of torture in Iraqi prisons

This was what you wanted?
    [post=263214]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Democrats seem to demand perfection of Republicans but when it comes to Democrats themselves it depends on what the definition of "is" is. ;)

16. madame_zora

Gold Member

Thanks for that stupid idea being brought up yet again, Pecker, but blowjobs vs. death is a truly stupid arguement, and i'm really tired of it. Is that really the best you can do? Jeez, you had a lot to react to with that quote and all you could do is ingore all of it and say "no one's perfect, and what about the BJ"?????????

17. Onslow

Gold Member

Gonzalez left the law firm representing Enron 6 or 7 years before the Enron mess was laid bare. He worked for a law firm, it has not yet been shown that he had anythbing to do with Enron, and it may prove out that he never did. In the event that he did at one time have direct association with Enron, there is still the fact that he left the firm BEFORE Enron was revealed as the mess it turned out to be. Look around in the Decocratic chambers (Senate/Congressional/Judgeships) I am sure if we were to do a little digging we'd find problems and associations there as well. Have you forgotten Hillary Clinton and the Rose Law Firm files? For years they were nowhere to be found and then like magic they appeared in the Presidential quarters of The White House. This type of horror and obvious coverup should be grounds to have her removed from the Senate immediately.

The Geneva Convention is in many ways obsolete and quaint. At the very least it needs to be updated and brought into focus to better connect with todays times and issues.
    Your pal Clinton also had mentally retarded persons executed while he was governor of Arkansas. Mental retardation in and of itself is not and should not be used as a blanket pardon of crimes committed. Would you excuse a 5 year old who sliced the hide off of a cat or dog? Would you tell a 5 year old that stealing was okay because they don't know right and wrong? How about if the 5 year old had just 2 days earlier said that a neighbor child had stolen and that was bad, and 2 days after the 5 year old stole something he made comments that another had stolen and that was bad? Are you still planning to overlook the 5 year olds stealing? Even with lower I.Q.s and less life understanding most people know the difference between right and wrong and know that there is a price to be paid for doing somehting which is wrong.

Odd you should mention anything about A.G.s considering the Clinton record. Did you forget Nannygate? How about the Janet Reno fiasco with little Elian Gonzalez? Nothing like sending dozens of heavily armed men into a house to grab a child and of course be sure to point a gun at him too. This was because in large part Reno spent months see-sawing back and forth unable to make a decision. Strange that the Democrats still didn't see fit to have her removed. Say what you want to about Ashcroft, but at least he didn't have people pointing high powered weapons at children.

I just hope that the confirmation of Gonzalez goes through quickly and smoothly, without the usual sillyness and meanderings of people such as Ultra-liberal Ted Kennedy (you remember him...he drove off a bridge and drowned a young woman and got off scott free. Joe Biden(Dem. Senator/Delaware) and Charles Schumer(Dem. Senator/New York) are already voicing support towards Gonzalez so perhaps there is hope (although rumor has it that Hillary Clinton is miffed that Bubba wasn't nominated).
    On the news show circuit last evening the general consensus seemed to be that although he is a Conservative, Gonzalez upholds the law as written, follows it to the letter and (and this may sadden you) actually bears more towards moderate than the President.

So, yes. This is what I wanted.

18. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Now, now, Mme., please don't get your panties all tied up in a knot. :blink:

What I'm pointing out is that Democrats appear to demand perfection of their opposition while turning a blind eye to their own shortcomings.

----

An aside: In my opinion there is a good reason John Kerry lost the election:

Too many people voted for him before they voted against him. ^_^

19. madame_zora

Gold Member

You see Pecker, that's just not true. Perfection is so far from ther goal of almost anyone, that just seems like a dodge to me. I personally only expect him to be decent, be true to his word (which I completely don't think he is), and not kill people for convoluded reasons. At the very least, you must admit that the war is confusing and somewhat controversial. I would like the staunch supporting Republicans to tell me exactly why it's okay for us to insert ourselves in Iraq "to save them from their despot leader", but we seem to have no interest in saving other civilizations (like South Africa) who have needed us throughout time and we have no interest in helping. There has been a devastating AIDS epidemic in Africa for years, but we have sent little help to save them from death. It doesn't take a skeptic to notice that they have no resources for us to pillage, but in Iraq, where there's oil, we suddenly care very deeply about the conditions Iraqis live in. Hmm, yes I find that frustrating, and that's NOT nitpicking or demanding perfection. If you choose to answer me, please answer the question I actually asked.

20. jonb

Gold Member

Hey, what about Sudan? They really DO have connections to Al Qaeda.

Draft saved Draft deleted