Good year for sports

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by lucky8, Jul 8, 2008.

1. lucky8

Gold Member

Between the NE Patriots run for a perfect season only to be stomped out by the Giants in the final game this year, the most intense Stanley Cup series I've ever seen, the stunning end to the college basketball championship game (and the final 4 in general), Tiger's win over Rocco in sudden death in the US Open, a very entertaining Euro2008, the Nadal-Federer match, rumors of Favre coming back, and the Olympics, I'd say this is one of the best years for sports I've ever seen. Anyone else agree?

#1 lucky8, Jul 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I believe it will be a good year for sports when millions of otherwise sedentary TV viewers get off their couches and spend more time playing some sports for themselves, however imperfectly, rather than living vicariously through the exploits of a few athletic elitists and their publicity machines.

3. bigmoochie

bigmoochie New Member

Albums:
    And, if you're a baseball fan, there are some really tight races going into the All-Star break. This coudl be the most interesting August-into-September in a while!

I was stoked that Eli & the Giants won the SB. What a game.

Didja see any of the college world series? Great games!

Yeah, I'll agree with you, brother lucky8.

4. lucky8

Gold Member

Ya I actually went to Omaha to the 1st fresno vs georgia game. It was pretty cool, I just wish the Shockers could have made it, woulda been nice to see my hometown play

5. lucky8

Gold Member

I take it you don't watch sports...

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not very often, lucky. Watching sports rarely appeals to me. Playing does. I'm not trying to shit on your thread but I really do think we'd be better served, physically and emotionally, by less watching and more participation.

Just my opinion. :smile:

7. lucky8

Gold Member

Agreed, but there are so many people out there that were just flat out born uncoordinated and goofy, you can't really blame them for not wanting to lose everytime they play a game

8. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ah, but not every sporting activity need be competetive, lucky. And, at the very least, improved physical fitness is a likely outcome of increased participation in sports. I fear that's something that's being forgotten in our obsession with idolizing professional sports.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack your thread.

9. lucky8

Gold Member

Hijack away, I'm bored, sports seems to be a pretty nonconfrontational subject to talk about, always nice to hear what other people are doin for fun. Unfortunately, really the only thing i ever do now is play soccer here and there, I wish I knew more people that liked to get out and play, I'd like to get a softball or baseball game goin before summer's over, I haven't played since high school and miss it. Sky diving is also on my to do list this summer

10. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    But wouldn't that be operating under the pretense that all people who watch sports are couch potatoes. I watch sports religiously and have attended the church of Sunday Night Football since the days that my father walked the Earth (aka a really really long time ago). But I played baseball , football, and basketball in high school. Besides , most sporting events happen at night anyway. When people are at home relaxing. Except for sunday and the saturday games of the college sports season and a few months of saturday afternoon baseball.

Anyway , yea I saw the Superbowl (of course). That 3&5 play by Eli Manning and David Tyree was spectacular to say the least. I thought all hope was lost until he broke that sack. I am more of a fan of his big brother Peyton , but he's obviously good too. That's the first time that 2 brothers have won the superbowl back to back and received Superbowl MVP. Plus I liked watching Tom Brady get a defensive line rammed up his ass on every other snap. A monumental choke. He could have cemented himself as the second coming of *bows on one knee and removes hat* Joe Montana.

I just started watching hockey this year too. But I was going for the Penguins in teh finals. Was still exciting though , since I'm not as emotionally involved in it as I am with football.

Brett Farve was actually good throughout teh playoffs , until that last snap of the NFC title game (interception as we all know). But I woudn't mind seeing him coming back.

My Cubs look like they might at least make it to the NLCS this year. Unlike last year where they had loaded bases throughout teh entire first round series , only to score virtually no runs. I'm not to worried about the Brewers getting Sabathia though , even though he's in my teams division now. But Boston definately has a chance to repeat , even without Schilling.

And hopefully my Bulls will be back this year. The East (ern conference) isn't that tough so they should have a relatively easy road there.

11. transformer_99

Gold Member

For the most part there have been some awesome stories in sports. The Patriots-Giants Super Bowl as you mentioned. The Stanley Cup and NBA finals disappointed me though. Detroit and Pittsburgh blew away their opponents and the Stanley Cupitself wasn't very competitive. We almost had a triple crown horse, but the 3rd win was such a blowout. Another mentioned college baseball and Fresno State's amazing run. The Celtics-Lakers, I'm glad I didn't watch, the highlight of that, Shaq taking a cheap shot at Kobe Bryant for not winning it all without him in a rap song. I'd say the year is pretty much like other years to me. Wimbledon, that may have put tennis back on the map. Tiger Woods knee injury, that might delay his record setting career, maybe he's done ? Because let's face it, money isn't the object any more, but maybe like other athletes that stopped early (Barry Sanders for example), staying healthy is more important. In Tiger's case, he now has a reconstructed knee, is it worth it for him to continue to tear his joints apart for a record, if he winds uphaving a hip replaced or further knee issues. Maybe a bad back like David Duval or torn rotator cuff like Curt Schilling. All this comes into play and Tiger could very easily never play again if he so decided.

12. red7.5

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You forgot the Celtics season-to-season unbelievable turn around leading to beating the Lakers for the championship.

13. lucky8

Gold Member

Ya, but the final series wasn't all that exciting, so i left it out

14. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Geechee + Cubs? Not rooting for the Braves or a FLA team? :tongue:
    I agree about the Cubs, Lou Piniella knows how to pull a team together and I forsee them making it to the playoffs without issue.

*Side note* I've always been a fan of Pinella's coaching since I watched a Seattle series against the Dodgers about five years ago, aka the year Seattle was up like 20 games on their nearest competitor most of the year, and they were fired up, enviably cohesive team. I hoped the Dodgers would've picked him up after Davey Johnson's pitiful reign *sigh*.

:fingersx: For the current Dodgers, I have faith in Torre, the young guns, Kent, and Saito.... Blue will win a playoff game this year!!!! Hopefully :rolleyes:

15. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    lucky, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. For me its fencing, hiking, river rafting and some bicycling.

Solo sports, team sports, sports just-for-the-fun of it sports with maybe a bit less emphasis on competetiveness and more emphasis on fun. Anything to get a nation of increasingly obese, socially isolated and frustrated people off the couch in any way that works. That's what I'm hoping for.

16. red7.5

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That's true, except for the Celts stunning comeback in Game 4.

Btw, have to agree with the Tiger Woods victory after 91 holes and a bad knee.

And I still can't talk about or watch anything related to football.

17. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yea the finals were overhyped. That whole "Laker/Celtic renewed" gimmick didn't work as well as expected. But anything was better than last year's (June 07') finals. The Spurs and Cavs played that shit like it was out on the playground.

Draft saved Draft deleted