Google Bar Has Spell Check

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Freddie53, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Freddie53

Gold Member

I know a lot of you are like me. I don't see spelling errors the first day. It is latter when I read something that they all stand out. Plus I am a poor speller. Also it is hard to read the screen sometimes.

I found the neatest help for me. It is the Google tool bar. On it is the ABC check. Just click on it and all the misspelled words are identified with suggestions for what was really meant. It makes proofing so much easier. If you are familiar with Microsoft Word and Word Perfect, it works about the same way.

It is so quick and easy.

This is not a complaint in any way. I just wanted to share something that has made it so much easier for me to post here at LPSG.

P.S. I just clicked on the spell check. Sure enough there were three words mispelled. I fixed them.

2. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Thats a specially installed program hun, well at least with the not newest version of IE. For those who don't have the new IE...

IE Spell Program

3. naughty

Gold Member

Thank you Sweetie! Only you would say "this is not a complaint in any way" I need to check that out. It saves me from constantly saying ,"I actually did go to school" LOL! :biggrin1:

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Ode to the Spell Checker

Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh

As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew

5. Shelby

Gold Member

Freddie even though we disagree sometimes politically I think you are a good soul. So please don't take this wrong.

Spell check helps but doesn't perfect. Latter should have been later. Both are actual words is why spell check missed it. :smile:

6. Shelby

Gold Member

As usual, Pecker said it better.:tongue:

7. Freddie53

Gold Member

Thanks for pointing that out. And as soon as you posted that, I noticed my mistake. Spell check also won't fix their for there and it won't fix grammar mistakes either.

But for those of us who seem to always excel in typos, spell check does help some. Spell check doesn't mean that we don't need to then go back and read the post to see if it makes sense.

I didn't know that my Google bar was an advanced model. My son put that on the computer for me.-

8. rubberwilli

rubberwilli Member

Albums:
    I use the google spell check all the time, but often not until after I've hit the submit reply button.

The only thing to keep an eye out for is being sure that you stop the google spell check before you hit submit or you get postings with red and green words and strange page breaks. I've had to go back and fix a few messages for replying to fast.

I guess I'm a premature reply-er!

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

That's an absolute riot, Pecker.

10. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I honestly can't say that I can recommend any Cutsie Toolbars added to your browser.

They're just a pathway for Spyware, Ad ware, and who knows what else.

C

11. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    LOL I am a poor speller myself, but do think I am proficient.

I work in higher ed and teach a couple of classes. We are a very selective school (focus on research and engineering), but I have actually read papers with very similar mistakes like this. Students simply write the way they speak and write based on how it "sounds." I thought I was reading some of their literary works again! lol

12. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

Yeah, I'm afraid I wouldn't trust Google to not try to sneak something in with it. Sure, Google's not MicroSoft (not yet, anyway), but still, I'm suspicious.

Too bad. Considering that most of us spend so much of our work and "leisure" time banging away at a standard QWERTY keyboard, you'd think we'd all have gotten better at it by now. My spelling's not too awful but my typos are catastrophic. I can barely type a dozen letters without making a couple of errors - and real dillies, too.

13. madame_zora

Gold Member

I drive everyone nuts on chat because my typing's so bad. I spend more time editing my posts than writing them, or you'd never have a clue what I'm trying to say.

I cringe when I read my very old posts, where I hadn't yet learned how to operate the edit button.

Google did refuse to hand over their records to the feds, last I heard. While I wouldn't put it past them to drop some spyware on you, at least they're standing up for privacy- or were a few months ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted