Google Earth

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Does anyone else here use Google Earth? Here is a link for anyone who is not familiar with it GE

Do you know how often it is updated? A few months ago I was on Google Earth looking at my house and I placemarked it. I was on again a few days ago to find that it had been updated for my area. The update now shows that my house has not even been built yet so the update is obviously an earlier image!

Leaving that aside GE is a fantastic site. I like to look at places I have visited and interesting sites around the world.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Daverock said:
Does anyone else here use Google Earth? Here is a link for anyone who is not familiar with it GE

Do you know how often it is updated? A few months ago I was on Google Earth looking at my house and I placemarked it. I was on again a few days ago to find that it had been updated for my area. The update now shows that my house has not even been built yet so the update is obviously an earlier image!

Leaving that aside GE is a fantastic site. I like to look at places I have visited and interesting sites around the world.
Thanx for the link! Sounds interesting:cool:

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I downloaded this and the first thing I did was look for my house... And I found it!!

this is a cool little piece of software, then I goto chicago to see the 3d buildings :p

It would be freakin awesome to see my car in one of these... lol

thanks for introducing me to this software!

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I use Google Earth all the time. The satelite images are great for driving directions when you are unclear of where your turns will be. I like to overlay my maps with the three dimensional buildings. It's cool.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
mephistopheles said:
I downloaded this and the first thing I did was look for my house... And I found it!!

this is a cool little piece of software, then I goto chicago to see the 3d buildings :p

It would be freakin awesome to see my car in one of these... lol

thanks for introducing me to this software!

You are very welcome - I love it.

I never even thought about nude beaches - so thanks Abercrombiestud4627. We have one about 10 kilometers from us and I just checked it. The mean bastards must have taken the image when no-one was on the beach:mad:

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Lex said:
I use Google Earth all the time. The satelite images are great for driving directions when you are unclear of where your turns will be. I like to overlay my maps with the three dimensional buildings. It's cool.

I kinda like it too.:tongue:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
jeff black said:
I kinda like it too.:tongue:

It also has a feature that will take you on a driver's veiwpoint tour of your trip, complete with turns.

You can save locations you frequent (Green Lantern, DC Eagle) and print the directions in your browser (they print just like Google Maps).

roosevelt

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've used it a little, they don't usually update the areas I need very often, so I have to go take aerial photos myself, or hire someone to...

Too bad too, I wish I could use it more....

NovaBone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Lex said:
It also has a feature that will take you on a driver's veiwpoint tour of your trip, complete with turns.

You can save locations you frequent (Green Lantern, DC Eagle) and print the directions in your browser (they print just like Google Maps).
A word of caution...
Be careful when plotting a major road trip with Google Maps, Yahoo Maps and MapQuest. These programs are not 100% accurate. I used Yahoo Maps to plot my road trip for summer vacation. It took me 1 1/2 hours longer than it should have to drive to my destination. Yahoo took me off major interstates and made me follow smaller 2 lane highways all over the place. Very frustrating! From now on I'll use a regular road map and plot the damn trip myself -- like I used to!

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
NovaBone said:
A word of caution....... It took me 1 1/2 hours longer than it should have to drive to my destination. Yahoo took me off major interstates and made me follow smaller 2 lane highways all over the place. Very frustrating!.....

Sounds more like fun than frustration, but that's just me!

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Daverock said:
LOL It's not that detailed nor is it live they are stills.
Indeed, some is up at 1m per pixel or less (some parts of US down to 0.15 m per pixel) but a great deal is still down around the 15m per pixel resolution or even lower. They recently updated chunks of Southern Africa as part of their rolling programme it was nice to see that they took the time to do that. Not just updating the US I mean. You should see the tiny Hi Res inset for Vic Falls!.

It would be a hoot were it live.......but even 0.15m per pixel is insufficient to ID a person and the nudes on the beach would still be pretty much unrecognisable as such.:rolleyes:

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I use Google Earth frequently at work and home. With GIS-derived points or polygons as overlays, I can find remote locations and orient my view in complex terrain during landscape management tasks. Its a big help.

I've also used it to help plan landscaping projects in my back yard. And, yes, I could see my car parked in my driveway. :cool: