Google & our posts

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
In the only other State that begins with "K"!
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I put a message in the celebrity endowments section asking about Jason Chambers. I then did a Google search on him and lo and behold --- MY MESSAGE to this site was listed on Google --- I was a little stunned to say the least....................does anyone else know about this???
I thought this was a private site!:eek:

burns1de

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I put a message in the celebrity endowments section asking about Jason Chambers. I then did a Google search on him and lo and behold --- MY MESSAGE to this site was listed on Google --- I was a little stunned to say the least....................does anyone else know about this???

Google's crawlers cache everything (or, at least, as much as they can) on the web. There's is no such thing as privacy on the Internet.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I knew that our posts could be seen if we put the right search criteria in Google. That is one reason why I would never put my real name here. (That and I have no idea who all is reading this. I think most of the frequent posters are ok but some of the lurkers may not be).

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Any part of the site that a guest can access, Google can access. Your private messages, and your gallery pictures, are some of the things that are off-limits to Google. (This is one reason we don't allow nudity in avatars, but we allow it in the galleries.)

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Seriously, what gave you that idea?

Even if the bulk of the site was inaccessible - hidden behind passwords, say - the 'bots still crawl around inside. That's why the search engines give you links to all sorts of things non-subscribers can't actaully get to, like the JSTOR archives.

There is a simple text file one can put in the site's directory which instructs the crawlers about which pages you wish to have indexed and which you want them to stay away from. Unfortunately those instructions are optional, and the googlebot is one of the ones which ignores them.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There is a simple text file one can put in the site's directory which instructs the crawlers about which pages you wish to have indexed and which you want them to stay away from. Unfortunately those instructions are optional, and the googlebot is one of the ones which ignores them.

Indeed. The bots can (in theory) be blocked by trapping the user agent but Google being the devious lot they are (and others, to be fair) will then simply fake the 'user agent' to appear as say Internet Explorer. Using IP to the same end is equally easily got around.

I work on the assumption that anything and everything I post here and anywhere else is fair game. It's safer that way.

P.S. How did you get on with the err tractor forum access controls..?

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
Eek! I did not know about this. I shall never post in confidence to this board again.:rolleyes:

No really, since a Google search listing content from this site is what brought me to LPSG I pretty well figured that anything I wrote here would be searchable as well. Also, after about three other threads on the subject in the last six months, it's pretty hard not to know.:tongue: