google showing LPSG.com

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Deno, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    Several times now when I am searching for something google shows LPSG.com in the results. And displays posts that include words relating to the search topic. What makes a search engine be able to enter a site like this and find posts related to a search request.

2. mindseye

Gold Member

Unregistered "guests" can read the messages on the site, but can't post messages. Google's bot often shows up here as a guest. Way back when LPSG was using YaBB (roughly 2003-2004 -- before InvisionBoard, which was before vBulletin, which we're using now), I blocked Google, MSN, and other search engines from reading potentially sensitive threads. This blocking was removed when we changed over to InvisionBoard.

3. CarryMyJock

CarryMyJock New Member

Interesting ... forgive me for bumping up an old thread, but I'd be curious to know where things stand now, 1.5 yrs later - in regards to Google's bots .... ? I think it was very smart to block 'em due to sensitive threads.

4. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

In the internet world sweety there is no such thing as sensitive topics. If you think there is, then you have a lot of desensitization to do. I think it would be nearly impossible to block bots, besides how would people find the place and become paying members if they couldn't find it?

5. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Just doing a normal search(Not google) a link to the gallery comes up again. I have no problem with this or anything else one can read.

6. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I think that it is cool that if I Google my screen name I get a result with a link to here.

This is a public forum that is open for anyone to view, so I do not see a problem with a result coming up on Google.

7. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

No big deal. They can see and read things but cant post without becoming a member.

8. SteveHd

Gold Member

CarryMyJock, no problem bumping the thread. The topic is still relevant.

The google/yahoo indexing of the site can be used to our advantage. I sometimes use them when I need to an "and" type of search.

9. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I sometimes use Google to search for old threads because I find their search works better than LPSG's built-in one. Everyone should be aware that *everything* you post online is public information.

10. CarryMyJock

CarryMyJock New Member

OK, I just discovered an interesting gender disparity, in the way I reacted to you calling me "sweety". I first read this post on my phone, and did not see the name or gender of the poster, and I presumed male (because, in fact, the majority of members here are male).

I was immediately ticked off to be handed such condescension, when I was bringing to the forefront a very important issue. :mad: But then, when I saw the poster was a chick - somehow I wasn't ticked off at all - funny how context can change things, eh? :confused:

However, sweetie-poo, I must disagree with you in regards to "no such things as sensitive topics". HALF THE POINT OF THE INTERNET IS THE ABILITY TO HAVE ANONYMITY - and therefore not fear retribution for one thing or another, or for self-discovery. And, as the media has shown us very clearly lately - there's a large gap between what various cultures consider to be lewd. Did you hear about the rape victim that got punished with lashes for speaking to the media? I believe it was Saudi Arabia ... if a Saudi husband found his wife on this site -do you not see the potential for privacy concerns? :eek:

If nothing should be considered "sensitive" on the net, then why do we all have aliases and options about how much of our identity we reveal in our profiles?

See how the issue isn't skin deep here?

In fact, here's a perfect example of why the internet serves a great service of privacy to some: ShopInPrivate.com - Shop In Private At The World's Most Private Drugstore

As far as bots go - yes, there ARE ways to block bots. Have you ever been to webarchive.org and been told archiving has been blocked by "robots.txt" ?

And as far as finding the website go - there's a difference between being able to search the entire site - and its entire index of messages, or just being able to find a "Large Penis Support Group". Make sense ?:wink:

11. CarryMyJock

CarryMyJock New Member

EXACTLY - that's why I bumped up the thread. To remind people of that = and get a more recent clarification on this sites policies on search engines and bots.

12. No_Strings

Gold Member

Well, no, it isn't.

13. CarryMyJock

CarryMyJock New Member

OK, so are you just trying to be difficult, or do you really want to open up a discussion on the linquistic symantics of my statement?

When you looked at your options on how to "read" that sentance ... LITERALLY, wasn't the only one. :rolleyes:

I think the general gist of the sentiment is clear, don't you?

14. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Well, no, I don't :rolleyes:

15. SteveHd

Gold Member

"Robots.txt" is based on an honor system. I'd guess google and yahoo do honor it, if present.

16. No_Strings

Gold Member

:spankme:

17. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

:biggrin1: I needed that...

Hey.. nobody said stop!

18. CarryMyJock

CarryMyJock New Member

:) The spirit of me bumping this thread in the first place - was to INFORM. So I'm going to continue to do that, to those who will find the information useful and enlightening.

(yes, compliance with robots.txt is voluntary, but large SE's comply, in part due to corporate privacy /espionage issues)

Draft saved Draft deleted