Googling: Is it Creepy or a Sweet Get to Know You?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I think it's creepy; but I also think it has become the norm. Afterall many people meet online, so why not google them?

My last BF didn't Google me. He paid for one of those online background checks on me! Complete with credit report, every place I have lived in the last 15 years and my DMV report. That totally FREAKED me out! :yikes: I have nothing to hide, but still that's just WEIRD! He was amazed that I was as squeaky clean as I had told him I was. That's right fellas, aside from a few late credit card payments in the late 1980's; I am the last of the Good Girls. :smile:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
is the creepy, is the ultra-creepy. :irked:

it's be like meeting someone in a bar and having them go through your purse/wallet, your e-mail and your personal papers.

i've been e-stalked, this person wasn't trying to get to know me, this son of blanketyblank was collecting intel for future assaults. *there is no emoticon to express my distaste on the subject*

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
is the creepy, is the ultra-creepy. :irked:

it's be like meeting someone in a bar and having them go through your purse/wallet, your e-mail and your personal papers.

i've been e-stalked, this person wasn't trying to get to know me, this son of blanketyblank was collecting intel for future assaults. *there is no emoticon to express my distaste on the subject*
I should have run far and fast then. I guess he figured he was hiding shit, so I must be too. :irked:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i'll back away from my own personal drama, and my admittedly heavily armed personal boundaries. maybe googling a new someone is harmless/sweet get to know ya, after all most of what Mr/Ms Right finds will be content you posted, or something benign like schools attended.. the random first date chitchat :redface:

but...

unless a first date includes protecting the president i think the background check was a bit much. :eek:

B_quietguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I don't consider a quick google search to be creepy at all. People are curious about new or potential partners. Some have been burned by getting involved with somebody before learning of a shady past and use google searches as a way to protect themselves.

I've googled new partners as well as been googled by them.

Having said that, I would not go so far as to get a credit report on somebody, or DMV report. And don't even think about getting the FBI report....

billdong9999

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not sure I've ever googled someone until after dating for a while, just for a laugh.

I don't know that I've ever thought anything more than random trivia would result by googling myself or someone else.

The fact that he did a background check on you - is a big red flag. Short of being a foreign diplomat, or huge trust issues on his part, what's the point?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The fact that he did a background check on you - is a big red flag. Short of being a foreign diplomat, or huge trust issues on his part, what's the point?

As I previously stated I think it was because he was hiding things about himself.
I should have run far and fast then. I guess he figured he was hiding shit, so I must be too. :irked:

D_Maurice Mountlilly

Account Disabled
Media

I think it's creepy; but I also think it has become the norm. Afterall many people meet online, so why not google them?

My last BF didn't Google me. He paid for one of those online background checks on me! Complete with credit report, every place I have lived in the last 15 years and my DMV report. That totally FREAKED me out! :yikes: I have nothing to hide, but still that's just WEIRD! He was amazed that I was as squeaky clean as I had told him I was. That's right fellas, aside from a few late credit card payments in the late 1980's; I am the last of the Good Girls. :smile:

last of the good girls...who said you were bad?

heist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Haha, sometimes I Google friends out of boredom, but I never thought to Google a potential significant other... and if anyone Google'd me, they'd get some strange results since I'm online for very specific, nerdy things. :wink:

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i wouldn't be offended by a google. it's just three soconds out of curiosity.
but this...
My last BF didn't Google me. He paid for one of those online background checks on me! Complete with credit report, every place I have lived in the last 15 years and my DMV report.
i would've run a mile! that there is a warning flag the size of a small african nation.

eyescream

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Googling someone is creepy. It's okay if the person is right there with you and you tell them something like you want to Google them and sees what sort of results will come up. But doing that when they're not around is like being some sort of stalker. I've had people Google me up and it freaks me out. If you want to know something about someone, they should volunteer the information to you.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I Google everyone I know. I don't do it to be creepy, or even to spy on them. I do it because when I was first in college, I stumbled across an article online about a woman who's been stalked and murdered. Her murderer had built an online shrine to her. If someone she knew had just once plugged her name into an internet search-engine, she'd be likely to be alive today. So, whenever the thought occurs to me, I Google everyone I know. I found a man who shared my name that way, and for a brief season, we were friends. According to the Census, only one of us exists. (And it ain't me!)

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I want everyone to google helgaleena. I am the only helgaleena on google. It is not my real name and I told google to protect my real name and that of my children many moons ago. But I work for an e-publisher of erotic romance! Even here I want you to know all about helgaleena!

D_Ellerby Eatsprick

Experimental Member
Media
Now I'm wondering if Googling someone and / or using Facebook to check them out is the same.

I've never Googled anyone, but I have once or twice checked to see if that person has Facebook.

Last year, a guy added me to his Facebook, after I had sex with him. It was for sure that there would be future sexual encounters. Well, I went to check out his Facebook one night, and read his Wall, and saw bunch of "Love you, Can't wait to see you" posts on his wall from his gf that he had been dating for a month. I slept with this guy on Nov 15th and looked on his wall and the first ever post from his gf was dating back to Oct 15th. Needless to say, I didn't like finding out I was the other woman that he had cheated on with.