GOP Rep. Channels McCarthy: Obama "Very Anti-American," Congressional Witch Hunt Need

Discussion in 'Politics' started by edonline, Oct 17, 2008.

1. edonline

Gold Member

GOP Rep. Channels McCarthy: Obama "Very Anti-American," Congressional Witch Hunt Needed

GOP Rep. Channels McCarthy: Obama "Very Anti-American," Congressional Witch Hunt Needed

October 17, 2008 06:42 PM

In an television appearance that outraged Democrats are already describing as Joseph McCarthy politics, Minnesota Rep. Michelle Bachmann claimed on Friday that Barack Obama and his wife Michelle held anti-American views and couldn't be trusted in the White House. She even called for the major newspapers of the country to investigate other members of Congress to "find out if they are pro-America or anti-America."

Appearing on MSNBC's Hardball, Bachmann went well off the reservation when it comes to leveling political charges against the Democratic nominee.

"If we look at the collection of friends that Barack Obama has had in his life," she said, "it calls into question what Barack Obama's true beliefs and values and thoughts are. His attitudes, values, and beliefs with Jeremiah Wright on his view of the United States...is negative; Bill Ayers, his negative view of the United States. We have seen one friend after another call into question his judgment -- but also, what it is that Barack Obama really believes?"

Goaded by a Chris Matthews to explain exactly what she was talking about (at one point Bachmann seemed to imply that liberalism was anti-Americanism), the congresswoman waded deeper into the mud.

"Remember it was Michele Obama who said she is only recently proud of her country and so these are very anti-American views," she said. "That's not the way that most Americans feel about our country. Most Americans are wild about America and they are very concerned to have a president who doesn't share those values.

msnbc.com Video Player

Matthews later pressed her to name a single member of Congress other than Obama who she thought was anti-American. Bachmann, who initially wouldn't budge, called for a major "expose" into the matter.

"What I would say is that the news media should do a penetrating expose and take a look. I wish they would. I wish the American media would take a great look at the views of the people in Congress and find out if they are pro-America or anti-America," she said.

There were additional nuggets here and there. But the whole episode was a sight to behold. It is hard to imagine how this type of message actually helps the McCain campaign. For starters, there has been a relatively respected rule to leave candidate's wives out of campaign attacks. Moreover, there is already a deep resentment towards the severity of the political attacks McCain and his surrogates have launched against Barack Obama. Having a like-minded member of Congress essentially call for a witch hunt within Congress isn't the practical-minded message that the Arizona Republican wants out there.

What makes the incident even more bizarre is that Bachmann is in a close congressional race and just this past week offered warm words to the Illinois Democrat. "If the presidency would somehow go to Barack Obama, I would welcome him to the 6th District as well," she said after a debate. "As a matter of fact, I would put my hand on his shoulder and give him a kiss if he wanted to."

A Democratic campaign official emailed that Bachmann's Democratic opponent has raised at least $23,000 online since the Hardball segment aired.

After Bachmann's appearance, Nation editor Katrina vanden Heuvel labeled the comments McCarthyist:

YouTube - Katrina Vanden Heuvel Responds to Bachman's Call for McCarthy like Investigation of Members of Congress

2. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    you know.......I'm almost begining to think that the repubs are trying to throw this election......seriously

Which makes me really concerned what exactly is going to be done in the last few months by Bush....

btw......who the fuck is this nut job bitch?

3. D_Pubert Stabbingpain

D_Pubert Stabbingpain Account Disabled

She sounds just like McInsane. Saying 1 thing 1 day but another the next except he can actually say 2 completely contradictory things in the same sentence! She has a ways to go I guess!

I hear now that he is blaming Obama for bringing up Joe Plumber when just last night he admitted on Letterman that it was McCain that saw the clip and based all his Joe Plumber comments entirely on that clip. This is a man who best shut up before he is drummed out of the country. He has lost any small reputation he had from the war. He is one of the most dishonest, bitter, and desperate men in the United States. He may very well have to check into a mental institution in 3 weeks as he is about to loose his lifelong dream and ambition. Poor baby.

P.S. Bachmann's comments were in response Matthew's questioning her about the following Robo call:

Hello, I'm calling for John McCain and the RNC because you need to know that Barack Obama has worked closely with domestic terrorist Bill Ayers, whose organization bombed the U.S. capitol, the pentagon, a judge's home and killed Americans, and democrats will enact an extreme leftist agenda if they take control of Washington. Barack Obama and his democratic allies lack the judgement to lead our country. This call was paid for by McCain-Palin 2008 and the Republican National Committee.

4. D_Pubert Stabbingpain

D_Pubert Stabbingpain Account Disabled

My concern is what the Reps will try in the last 2 weeks! As I have said before, there is really only 1 way that McCain will now win. There is only 1 thing that will get American's minds off the economy. It won't be pretty.:mad:

5. sargon20

Gold Member

Look everyone KNOWS all the Republican whacko's have are character attacks. They have nothing else. The Bush Presidency has been a colossal failure. And they can't point to anything good that voters care about has happened under Bush.

You better be afraid...very afraid. But I think we've all got the picture. Better be very afraid of another neo-con running the country for another 4 yrs. And it's all over if Palin somehow wiggles her pumps into the White House with her 'I'm a fuckin redneck' son-in-law.

In fact eight years of "conservatism" have brought us "a doubled national debt, ruinous expansion of entitlement programs, bridges to nowhere, poster boy Jack Abramoff and an ill-premised, ill-waged war conducted by politicians of breathtaking arrogance."
    -Christopher Buckley

#5 sargon20, Oct 17, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  6. ledroit

ledroit New Member

Albums:
    This is an absolute outrage. Time to flood that woman's office with letters, emails, phone calls and faxes:

email site

Congr. Michele Bachman
    MN 6th District (Central MN)

• Washington Office
      • 412 Cannon HOB
      • Washington, DC 20515
      • Phone: (202) 225-2331
      • Fax: (202) 225-6475
    • Woodbury Office
      • 6043 Hudson Rd, Suite 330
      • Woodbury, MN 55125
      • Phone: 651-731-5400
      • Fax: 651-731-6650
    • St. Cloud/Waite Park Office
      • 110 2nd Street S, Suite 232
      • Waite Park, MN 56387
      • Phone: 320-253-5931
      • Fax: 320-240-6905

7. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

I still say it's all bullshit. Nobody but the public caused this ruin. Nobody but them let congress approve nafta under clinton and the trade with china under bush. Nobody but the public made them buy imports or spend money they didn't have for a lifestyle they couldn't afford. Nobody but the public is going to blame the next failure on the democrats.
    Nobody can save us now. It's pain paying time. Look in the mirror to point the blame don't look at a party or lame duck president. I kept hoping this fool would not be elected so people would either have to blame themselves or greenspan. No, they'd probably blame poor Gore for it.
    If I could see all this coming, why in the hell couldn't the rest of you? Over a year ago, I moved most of my retirement funds into Treasuries. I've lost less than 8% in the market. How about the rest of you economists?

8. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Yeah, this is embarrassing.:frown1:

9. B_24065

B_24065 New Member

Her claims are 100% valid. There is enough evidence to cause someone to raise questions like this and investigate. Their pastor for the past 20 years is absolutely anti-american, as is william ayers and that pakistani dude he's been life long friends with who got him into Harvard law.

10. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    who? and who gives a fuck?

wait till Franken gets in office... he'll put Bachmann to shame... hell, Harry Ried and Nancy Pelosi have already filled half of what Bachmann claims.

yawn.

move along, nothing to see here.

11. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Indeed it is. Someone please hand this woman a history book.

Much like Michelle Malkin, I think we see Bachmann on news programs because she is attractive.

12. D_Bob_Crotchitch

I don't agree with everything Michelle Malkin says but sometimes she hits the nail on the head and that pisses off the diehards, and special interests.

13. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

I guess this is a preview of what Congressional republicans intend to spend their time on during the next two congresses.....while someone else is forced to clean up the mess their party made over the last eight years.

14. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Eh, Michelle Malkin is more into sensationalism than analytical arguments.
    More than once I've heard her state complete bullshit, but she's nice to look at, so... :rolleyes:

15. D_Bob_Crotchitch

Considering that the opposing party had the power to stop a lot of the legislation, and could even filibuster, why not blame congress as a whole and not one party. Oh, that would mean you'd have to face the truth. Woe is me. Some day people will have to be responsible for themselves. How come it was that way before they turned to the government to get them out the mess they created for themselves leading up to the great depression?

Also, since the Dems have controlled congress and the purse strings since January of 2007, why haven't they started making huge changes? Why are they the ones who passed the bailout of Lehman. Why are they proposing even larger economic stimulus packages that will be funded with more national debt? Maybe, it's because neither party actually represents the working man. Maybe, it's because both parties are controlled by special interestes. Maybe, it's because most people are too lazy to raise hell with their congressmen but piss and moan nonstop that it's somebody elses fault.
    I raise hell with my congressman whether they are dem or rep. It was my democrat congressman who voted for the trade agreement with china because he wanted the lumber companies in his district to sell them timber. His liason here told me that herself.
    If enough of you would have called your senators and raised hell, none of those treaties would have ever passed. Ooooo you'd have to become a responsible citizen. *gasp* You'd have to grow up and be responsible for yourself. *gasp* That would hurt.

16. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I watched the interview live. It was frightening. She wants to investigate Congress to root out its UN American members............and it appeared to her un-american means you don't agree with her........It really was startling....watch the vid clips circulating on the internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbw4pdxVSOg&eurl=

#16 Industrialsize, Oct 18, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  17. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

was actually anticipating a recession a couple of years back

the predictor was the inverted yield curve

that it didn't happen when it would ordinarily have (in terms of time frame), I speculated was attributable to the artificial liquidity created by the debt-derivatives

the only loss I saw was in the portfolios I don't have any control over

18. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Lookout... censure incoming.... (and deservedly)

19. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    She sounds to me like a faithful (or simply credulous) viewer of Fox News.

20. D_Tully Tunnelrat

D_Tully Tunnelrat New Member

I think the woman is a lightweight, but is pretending to be substantive. Lest we forget why Obama is ahead: "It's the economy, stupid!" to quote the last democratic pres. The more Repubs like her try to make the race about their form of patriotism, the more they show they have no solutions to deal with economic problems at hand. To be sure the Dems are far from perfect, laughably so at times, but this last stand of fear mongering by the Repubs is dangerous and pathetic. BTW, my portfolio is doing a bit better than yours.

Draft saved Draft deleted