Got Lay Off?

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, I know how this is... I was laid off from a government job in 2005 and haven't had a steady job since. I've been fired twice for "skill level not high enough" (even though I let them know what my skill level was during the interview process!), and worked temp and seasonal jobs as well as getting unemployment benefits. It's tough out there!

And I totally agree with what Simcha had to say! This is one of my current hot buttons - how everything is weighted toward the big business and CEOs and against the regular working people, and all the outsourcing that has been going on, not to mention downsizing and then making the people who are still there work more hours to take up the slack.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
... I just don't have time to try to start unemployment funding especially since I'm not here to collect it...

Dee, it doesn't take as much time as you would think to make a claim. And you can collect unemployment no matter where you are so long as you are looking for the next gig.

I was collecting unemployment from Iowa when I moved to California. The system in Iowa allowed me to report in weekly by phone. I think most states have that too.

Really, you should look into it because it's money you paid into the system. It's money you should take out of it in need. And, even with generous friends and keeping things cheep, the more you keep of the savings you have been able to build the better off you're going to be when you move out here.

Good luck! :smile:

reecho

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
i still dont understand why people don't see union membership as 'job insurance'. It just makes sure you have someone who can check policies and make sure lay offs are really necessary or have been done right. yeah, it's not magic pill to get job back,but atleast u have someone on your side ;)

there may be more protections in UK law (despite the fact that we'vegot the least employee-protection regulatiions ineurope,but hell,we're not on strike all the time like in france!) but having a rep to help is good...

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Unions, don't get me started. Unions are why I pay so many taxes to my city and county and school district. When labor practice were extremely unfair they were needed. Now they just make it so anyone thats not in a union have to pay extra taxes and income to those that are members of a union. Why should a school teacher get a raise in pay and benifits every year when the people that pay there saleries keep getting more and more broke. Talk about unfair, when the teachers pension fund slumps cuz of a bad investment year our taxes go up to offset the loss.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Dee, it doesn't take as much time as you would think to make a claim. And you can collect unemployment no matter where you are so long as you are looking for the next gig.

Hey, bud, I followed your advice. I checked with the Kentucky board for unemployment. The shitty thing is, because I'm moving in with my mom, then shipping outbound really soon after that, the state doesn't allow benefits to be received through direct deposit. Last thing I want to do is have money trying to chase me down... :frown1:

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hey, bud, I followed your advice. I checked with the Kentucky board for unemployment. The shitty thing is, because I'm moving in with my mom, then shipping outbound really soon after that, the state doesn't allow benefits to be received through direct deposit. Last thing I want to do is have money trying to chase me down... :frown1:

Dang, Kentucky sucks. Even Iowa had direct deposit. Sorry dude.

Many blessings, and good luck.