Gov. Sarah Palin's Speech was Epic

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
When CNN asks...did Obama make the wrong Vice Presidential pick by overlooking Sen. Hillary Clinton...You know Gov. Sarah Palin knocked that speech out of the park.

Keep on attacking her...you will only make her stronger. The Game Changer said: Game On.

D

deleted213967

Rumor has it she was not McCain's first pick but she certainly cleared hurdle number 1 with flying colors.

Let's see how she fares with the media and debating Biden.

D

deleted213967

At times one had to wonder if the crowd didn't want her at the top of the ticket. Interestingly, she quit saying "nu-cu-lar" in favor of the more orthodox "nuclear"...

Quick study indeed...:biggrin1:

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
They through out the indies and decided to run with the base in tact. Hillary supporters won't be attracted to her; I'm confident in that. I give her an "A" for her ability to read a teleprompted script by a Bush speech writer and a "C" on delivery - the sarcasm, condescension, contempt and disrespect for half of the Americans in this country did little for their Country First theme.

Speeches like this will do nothing short of galvanizing democratic unity for the remainder of the race.

D

deleted213967

Will she be able to simultaneously attract independent voters, disaffected Clinton voters and also bring sulking religious right voters to the polls?

If anything...this election cycle promises to be entertaining.

BTW, Obama also reads from a teleprompter, as do the Clintons, Bushes et al.

uniqueusername

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
They through out the indies and decided to run with the base in tact. Hillary supporters won't be attracted to her; I'm confident in that. I give her an "A" for her ability to read a teleprompted script by a Bush speech writer and a "C" on delivery - the sarcasm, condescension, contempt and disrespect for half of the Americans in this country did little for their Country First theme.

Speeches like this will do nothing short of galvanizing democratic unity for the remainder of the race.

The speech was targeted at Hillary's supporter base--socially moderate Reagan Democrats. She went in with low expectations and completely blew everyone away. She showed herself to be knowledgeable and articulate. You guys had better hope Biden is prepared to debate her.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Yeah. I don't get the "playing to the base" approach. I thought they were going to try for crossover appeal? This was traditional republican playbook all the way.

The base seems to love it. So, there is that.

WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Stupendous. It had substance, it had grit, it had SPECIFICS.
Obama's campaign, if it was smart would just leave her be, the more they try to attack her the more it backfires. The media played into the importance of this speech by shamelessly and adolescently obsessing over her private life recently and she knocked them out of the park.
That was the best argument yet for the Republican ticket and it was delivered with poise and power.

She fucked him up, in laymens terms and in elections, that matters, that speech right there locked in millions of undecided votes, mark my words within the next 10 days the polls will shift toward McCain. Obama going on O'reilly tomorrow night? This could be a very bad week for the Obama campaign

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
The speech was targeted at Hillary's supporter base--socially moderate Reagan Democrats.

I thought she was aiming much more at the traditional Republican base. Would more than a minority, perhaps quite small, of Hillary's base describe themselves as "socially moderate Reagan Democrats"?

She went in with low expectations and completely blew everyone away. She showed herself to be knowledgeable and articulate. You guys had better hope Biden is prepared to debate her.

Yes, she was a surprise.
I doubt that Biden is shaking, though.

uniqueusername

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I shought she was sad and sorry.

Any other opinions you'd like to share?

senor rubirosa said:
I thought she was aiming much more at the traditional Republican base. Would more than a minority, perhaps quite small, of Hillary's base describe themselves as "socially moderate Reagan Democrats"?

Reagan Democrats are a pretty big group. Most of them will probably go for Obama, but they're turned off by candidates who are too liberal and perceived to be out of touch. This was the problem with Mondale and Dukakis. It's not a hard sell to convince them that Obama is a far-left elitist, which is exactly what this speech did, in a humorous, if a little sarcastic way. Her poking fun at the presidential seal and the styrofoam columns was hilarious.

Last edited:

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I disagree. I'm independent and my initial feelings about it are:

She did an excellent job of delivering the speech. It was, however, just a speech. Hopefully voting for the President and Vice President is about far more then just that. Let's not forget that it was a prepared speech, written for her, that didn't give any real insight to her ability to lead the country. I think the debates will be where people, hopfully, will have a better chance of determining that.

There was no policy discussion, no substance to back up all the supposed "reform" rhetoric. I found the mocking of Obama as a community organizer a bit hypocritical considering all the stress on small town values. The Republicans have obviously given up trying to appeal to any swing voters and are appealing to "the base". The speech played well in the hall, of course, and to the partisans but I think it was pretty transparent to most others. It seemed more like a high school rally.

I did find it interesting that they are completely up in arms and offended by the "liberal media" having the audacity to question anything of a personal familial nature yet don't have a problem exploiting their Down Syndrome baby for their own image, passing him from person to person for the camera.

The whole thing smacks of reality television meets politics for me. I hope people will get beyond superficiality and start to consider the issues beyond looks, skin color and gender. I don't see that happening soon though.

The people who have already made up their minds for McCain or just want to fuck her will jump on a soapbox and say she hit it out of the park tonight. Like I said...I think she did a great job of actually delivering the speech but I don't know anything more about her then I did before she made it. There's still a lot of time left and a lot of real questions to answer. Just my intial reaction. Go ahead...have fun ripping my opinion apart. :smile:

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I remember candidates' speeches and debate appearances all the way back to 1976, and I was not the least bit impressed by what Palin said or how she said it. Among Republicans, neither McCain nor Palin are anywhere in the same league as Reagan (it's too bad that so many Republicans are old enough that they have only Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. as reference points). And most of the speakers last week at the Democratic convention gave a better speech than Palin did; she's like a soccer mom testifying at a school board meeting. Do you really want her one heartbeat from becoming president? Please. In terms of qualifications among relatively recent Republican vice-presidential candidates, she's not even in the same league with Kemp or Quayle. The Republican Party has sunk to a new low choosing her, and if you don't think so, you don't know very much, if any, history.

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The speech was targeted at Hillary's supporter base--socially moderate Reagan Democrats. She went in with low expectations and completely blew everyone away. She showed herself to be knowledgeable and articulate. You guys had better hope Biden is prepared to debate her.

You've got it wrong. Reagan was a uniter, not a divider. That speech was pure-play divisive republican base politics. In a couple of days the polls will support my point.

I'm from Reagan-Red Southern states... I know what turned my home state GA red from blue and it wasn't rhetoric like Palin puked tonight.

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

What is intresting is Perry Noonan big time Wall Street Journal pundit said off-mike and she said it's over.

Peggy Noonan, speechwriter for Ronald Reagan and columnist, interjects: “It’s over.”
Asked whether Ms. Palin is really the most qualified woman Mr. McCain could have picked, Ms. Noonan responds rather incredulously, “The most qualified? No. I think they went for the — excuse me — political (expletive) about narratives. … Every time the Republicans do that, because that’s not where they live and that’s not what they’re good at, they blow it.”

Mr. Murphy then dives in with a rejoinder: “The greatness of McCain is no cynicism and this is cynical.”

YouTube - Peggy Noonan overheard talking about Palin: 'It's over' http://tinyurl.com/6na8no

D

deleted213967

You've got it wrong. Reagan was a uniter, not a divider. That speech was pure-play divisive republican base politics. In a couple of days the polls will support my point.

Reagan was a uniter indeed, and as you stated in prior posts America invented democracy.

If you can predict the polls in a couple of days, would be so kind as to share your prediction of the NASDAQ index at market close tomorrow? We promise not to try for insider trading.

D

deleted213967

What is intresting is Perry Noonan big time Wall Street Journal pundit said off-mike and she said it's over.

Peggy Noonan, speechwriter for Ronald Reagan and columnist, interjects: “It’s over.”
Asked whether Ms. Palin is really the most qualified woman Mr. McCain could have picked, Ms. Noonan responds rather incredulously, “The most qualified? No. I think they went for the — excuse me — political (expletive) about narratives. … Every time the Republicans do that, because that’s not where they live and that’s not what they’re good at, they blow it.”

Mr. Murphy then dives in with a rejoinder: “The greatness of McCain is no cynicism and this is cynical.”

YouTube - Peggy Noonan overheard talking about Palin: 'It's over' http://tinyurl.com/6na8no

Yes, the all-important NoonanGate...

When will journalists learn professionalism? Dangit!

I am not sure who is more likely to lose her job tomorrow: Noonan? Palin?

Wager? Anyone?