Gov't salivating over swine flu scam/hoax

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm getting really frustrated with these little threads. I used to think starman was halfway intelligent, but am now rescinding this belief.

Not sure why you believe it is acceptable to publish thread after thread declaring that Obama is heroic, brilliant, popular, refreshing and so forth....yet you are frustrated and question my intelligence because I don't share those views and didn't fall in line with the herd?

If there is a protocol on the format of the thread title, no one has shared it with me.

I like to put a little tobasco sauce on the thread titles because I get bored at looking at humdrum black, white and grey print all day everyday.

For example, which would you click on:

1. Biden spends more on cheese than charity

or

2. Tax return data

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Not sure why you believe it is acceptable to publish thread after thread declaring that Obama is heroic, brilliant, popular, refreshing and so forth....yet you are frustrated and question my intelligence because I don't share those views and didn't fall in line with the herd?

If there is a protocol on the format of the thread title, no one has shared it with me.

I like to put a little tobasco sauce on the thread titles because I get bored at looking at humdrum black, white and grey print all day everyday.

For example, which would you click on:

1. Biden spends more on cheese than charity

or

2. Tax return data
The tax one sounds interesting to me...:wink:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I can't cite a source for an airline shutdown when it hasn't occurred yet.

The OP is speculation as to the unfolding of a potential government scheme to get its dirty mitts into yet another industry.

The framework is already being established:

• Biden crowing about the risks/dangers of getting on an airplane
  • Liberal media going apeshit, giving minute-by minute updates on Swine, complete with maps, charts, etc.
  • A precedent of gov't in the last couple months arming itself with more control in banking/auto
  • Fearmongering 24/7 from government/TV
  • Cancelation of flights to/fro Mexico
  • States shutting down all athletic events
  • Existence of legions of sheep (many on this forum) that hang on every word utterred by Obama that will cherish and defend each and every decision this Administration makes
All the makings are there my friends. Just don't be offended when I say 'I told you so.':wink:

You forgot about the FEMA "quarantine camps", SI.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's "news" just like the weather is "news". BFD. If people are foolish enough to panic over these things, they deserve the years they shave off their lives.

I'm wicha, bro.

Oh, and star? I'll personally and publicly shake your hand and offer you a complimentary blowjob (which I assume your 100% won't allow you to accept accept, luckily) if you're "right" about this.

LOL Lemme know when you grow some tits, and then we'll talk.:biggrin1:

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Calm down, Will. You sound apoplectic. Go take a walk on the beach. Seriously.

Are you kidding? WT spends 6 to 8 hours a day guzzling latte's. He can't walk anywhere. Maybe take a sprint down the beach...put a giant Obama billboard 3 miles down...the guy will probably run 40 miles an hour, barefoot.

M

Mr Ed in Mass

The Influenza of 1917 started as a very mild form in the spring, then subsided.In the fall,[the usual flu season] it came around again, this time it was a killer.
I'm not sure what the story is this time,but I'm going to hold judgement until more real information is known.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

LOL Lemme know when you grow some tits, and then we'll talk.:biggrin1:

Oh, I forgot that I'm your dream trans. Ain't gonna happen.

Are you kidding? WT spends 6 to 8 hours a day guzzling latte's. He can't walk anywhere. Maybe take a sprint down the beach...put a giant Obama billboard 3 miles down...

So, how's that half-marathon workin' out for ya? I have to ask, 'fore you dump on my west coast hubby, Will.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Apart from the paranoid lunacy (hmm, anyone remember Richard Hofstadter's book?) of supposing the hubbub over swine flu to be a "hoax" and a "scam," the idea that "the government" (in the person of whom, I wonder?) would want to have our airlines on its hands seems pretty fucking ridiculous to me.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Its unlikely that the performance of the major carriers would improve with the presence of gov't ownership. I can think of maybe two flights of my last fifty in which I had a stress-free, pleasant experience that was on time. The service is horrid, the employees are disgruntled for the most part, and the delays are ridiculous.

Unfortunately, Southwest doesn't fly out of Greater Cinti Airport.

That said, the airport is a HUGE provider of jobs in this area as it is in most metro areas. A stoppage of air travel will devastate and cost tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of jobs nationwide.

Again, people can make their own travel decisions on health risks. We don't need big brother calling the shots on air travel because a handful of people coming back from Mexico have the flu.

I came across this in doing research for one of our clients who promotes airline passenger rights:

Delta preps workers for news of payout to top execs

"Delta Air Lines top two executives sought to prepare employees and investors Wednesday for what they will see when the world's largest airline operator files its proxy: Large total compensation figures for the leaders in 2008, a year in which the company posted a net loss of $8.9 billion." That's from The Associated Press, which notes the move "comes at a time when Americans are increasingly scrutinizing high executive pay amid massive job losses among rank-and-file employees in numerous industries due to the deep economic downturn in the U.S."

Delta CEO Richard Anderson and president Ed Bastian sent a memo to employees yesterday giving them an indication of what to expect, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. The paper writes "the memo said Anderson's compensation amounted to $2.5 million in 'take home pay,' which includes $987,714 in cash and benefits plus vested stock. Bastian had $5.2 million by the same IRS take-home pay measure, including $1.3 million in cash and benefits plus vested stock."
Exactly how much money must the company you run lose before you suffer any real-life consequences? How can anyone who believes in accountability and responsibility possibly justify such salaries in the face of such incredible failure?

Back when I was a sales manager, I could get fired if my team didn't meet projection (usually 10-35% over the year before). I always made it, but other stores went through managers like toilet paper; can you imagine the response they'd get if they tried to say that sales were down because of customer anxiety or the weather?

Why are some professionals held to such low standards yet merit being paid so very much?

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I'm reporting your name to the FSA. Please change your name to Muppet Investor with immediate effect.

Elemantary school kids should be able to work out that during a global recession global travel is going to decline. I have just been on a global business trip for the last month and I can tell you first hand that global trading is sufferig enormously because of your party's inability to manage the banking system, Muppet Investor. On top of this, last year's huge rises in oil prices meant that carriers lost a lot of money, now they are losing people and freight. I heard somewhere that nearly 20% of long haul planes are already in storage.

I could have been sat next to a Mexican businessman who had the flu last week in any one of a number of airports that I transited. I was also traveling during Sars and I have no doubt that airports would have to be closed if there was a serious strain of flu. To consider this, is a sensible part of emergency planning. When you personally make that call is up to you. Sadly for some businesses, when it rains it pours, but no doubt you are now ready to assert that any business failure will be Obama's fault. God help us.

Airlines will fail because of the state of the economy and their individual errors/poor management in the past. This is true for many business sectors.

Do you really invest other people's money? That is fuck scary.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm reporting your name to the FSA. Please change your name to Muppet Investor with immediate effect.

Elemantary school kids should be able to work out that during a global recession global travel is going to decline. I have just been on a global business trip for the last month and I can tell you first hand that global trading is sufferig enormously because of your party's inability to manage the banking system, Muppet Investor. On top of this, last year's huge rises in oil prices meant that carriers lost a lot of money, now they are losing people and freight. I heard somewhere that nearly 20% of long haul planes are already in storage.

Um, okay? Who are you debating with this paragraph? I indicated that the airlines are on 'life support' already.

I could have been sat next to a Mexican businessman who had the flu last week in any one of a number of airports that I transited. I was also traveling during Sars and I have no doubt that airports would have to be closed if there was a serious strain of flu. To consider this, is a sensible part of emergency planning. When you personally make that call is up to you. Sadly for some businesses, when it rains it pours, but no doubt you are now ready to assert that any business failure will be Obama's fault. God help us.
Once again, I never said that any business failures have been because of Obama. I said that if the airlines are shut down they will fail.

Airlines will fail because of the state of the economy and their individual errors/poor management in the past. This is true for many business sectors.
Most airlines are already failing. A stoppage would would be the end.

Do you really invest other people's money?
Yes

That is fuck scary.
Not to worry. I have no interest in your account.:wink:

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Seriously? No drinking for you Saturday. Good Luck!!

Been completely off the sauce for 7 days. Now that's torture.:biggrin1:

Alot of extra time on my hands to sit around watching flu paranoia on all the major news networks.

In a touch of twisted irony, the name of the marathon is the 'Flying Pig Marathon'

I hope no one gets infected with swine from running in the Flying Pig.:rolleyes:

eunectes

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Give me a break. Every time something crops up that can be sensationalized, our major media outlets will do it. Why? Not because they are liberal, or conservative, but because sensational = viewer attention = advertising money. They are for-profit businesses, and as such they want to secure the largest market share possible.

This so-called swine flu is a concern, but not much more. Just like avian flu a few years ago, or SARS before that. Chill out. If it turns out to be serious, you will be better served by the energy you conserved being calm, than either freaking out or turning it into a conspiracy of your ideological adversaries.