GQ "Style"

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

The Top 10 most "Stylish" american men according to GQ

1. Justin Timberlake
    2. Mark Ronson
    3. Alexi Lubomirski
    4. Andre Balazs
    5. Kanye West
    6. Sid Mashburn (and staff)
    7. T.I.
    8. Glenn O'Brien
    9. Jason Schwartzman
    10. Ed Ruscha (and son, Eddie)

well, call me more traditional in terms of male fashion, but sorry, i find some of these guys look ridiculous.

I do not even know over half of them and had to look them up...the ones i did not know, and had to look up, seem to have much more style, (Balazs, Mashburn,)

As for the other more well known ones, I don't think they are stylish at all...i think they are trying to make absurd fashion statements, and as i heard from grandmother, a clothing designer long ago..."fashion is for people who don't have style...fashion goes out of of style but style never goes out of fashion".

now, i can understand people have different types of style with regards to male fashion in terms of degree...for example:

i am just as comfy in a white t shirt with jeans, as i am in various degrees of style, ranging from casual to elegant/formal.

what i would consider "Style" for a male would be something along these lines.

BEachy casual - white bahama shorts, white t-shirt or light buttondown, flip flops of any variety you are comfy with.
    smart casual - classic blue jeans, white lightweight buttondown, blazer (blue or gray) nice classic casual dress shoes, like suede gucci.

hip/cool/night on the town, casual, cold weather - jeans, black or gray cashmere sweater/mock turtleneck, black peacoat, black knit hat.
    Elegant - designer suit, never the same color tie and shirt, please for god sake. No bold stripes, or tropical colored suits. This is not Miami Vice.

*NO HATS* (except for a warm knit hat in cold weather) You are not a baseball player nor an authority figure and this is not Chicago in the 1920s and you are not a member of The Untouchables.

Hats, and goatees are not stylish or fashionable. They are dumb looking.

Men should not wear more jewelry then women...it just looks stupid and low class.

now i know that everyone has their own "view" but honestly, when i see the way some people dress these days, it is truly baffling.

and of the dudes mentioned above...i am sorry...but these are the most "stylish" american men?

Timberlake

http://aslcdn.celebuzz.com//bfm_gal...ge-GQ-most-stylish-men-photos-02172009-14.jpg

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl0/12/129404/08_2008/justin_timberlake3_300x400.jpg

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/specials/vmas07/fashion/justin_timberlake.jpg

who the hell is this T.I. ? I have never heard of him, so i googled and the guy dresses like a total idiot

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/ti-music-arc01.jpg

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/ti-music-w07.jpg

Kanye West - oh please

http://www.popculturepost.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/kanye-west-colette-22808-1.gif

http://www.celebrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/kanye-west-8-15-07.jpg

http://www.clashmusic.com/files/images/Kanye West step and repeat.jpg

on the whole, it is pretty difficult to screw up male fashion...i can't really understand why a magazine with "gentleman" in the title, would award such badly dressed people as the epitome of the stylish "gentleman".

weird

and yes...everyone is entitled to their own style and view....but sorry, a dude in a fedora, dripping with jewelry and wearing white sneakers is worthy of ridicule...no matter what.

2. lucky8

Gold Member

kanye gets his style from the gays

3. Flashy

Gold Member

actually i don't really think so. I know plenty of gay men who are excellent dressers...

i do not know a gay man that would be caught dead in what Kanye was wearing in the above pictures.

4. lucky8

Gold Member

5. Xcuze

Gold Member

Well I do not know half of them. I've never thought of Justin Timberlake as being particularly stylish. Kanye West is very hit & miss. Again, bizarre. Mark Ronson is British. T.I? I do not think having baggy boxers hanging out the top of your low-slung jeans is actually stylish. Crass more like!

Not impressed.

6. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

I like Justin Timberlake his suit style, it's suits him very well.
    I like his ties!

7. Flashy

Gold Member

actually the first thing he said was his style was "urban"...and he matched it up with models and then gays

as i said...i do not know any gay man who would wear what West is wearing in the 3 pictures above.

fashion conscious gay males do not wear urban street gear

8. Flashy

Gold Member

i agree completely.

though i would say Kanye is always miss.

on the rare occasions when he wears a nice suit, he screws it up by wearing jewelry and really bad sunglasses.

9. Flashy

Gold Member

well pieter...you and i agree on most things...but this is not one of them, my friend :smile::wink:

10. Xcuze

Gold Member

Said Mr 100% straight :tongue:

They most certainly do! :rolleyes:

11. lucky8

Gold Member

dude, whatever, he said it, no need to analyze every single word in the interview...whether you agree he dresses like gay men or not, it is what it is

12. D_Jared Padalicki

Pfff, doesn't have too, I said I like, so that is it. I'm not really fond of the rest of his clothes, but the suits, well I like those, escpeciialy the waist-coat and shirt and small tie! Baggy pants not.

13. Flashy

Gold Member

i have never seen a gay man who understood clothes wear urban street gear.

Then again, most of the gay men i know are not the kind of gay men that would wear urban street gear. They are almost all professionals in the financial markets, interior design, law, etc.

i certainly may be missing another part of the gay community that chooses those clothes...but if they do choose urban street gear, i would say that they break the commonly held belief that gay men have great taste and style.

dressing like a hoodlum is not stylish :smile:

14. lucky8

Gold Member

it is when you're a young minority...or a Jew from Skokie

not my preference, but they seem to find it rather stylish

#14 lucky8, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  15. B_Artful Dodger

B_Artful Dodger New Member

It doesn't say much for America if that sorry bunch are the most stylish men they got... :rolleyes:

16. D_Jared Padalicki

That's quite right, just know two of them lol.
    But u have to admit, the waist-coat, shirt and tie are a classic. :biggrin1: But that is clearly it.

17. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Don't know about that, but his eyewear is certainly from the Elton John Collection. :biggrin1:

18. Flashy

Gold Member

it may be "stylish" to them...but they are an object of ridicule for anyone with a semblance of taste.

and I am jewish...i have never met a jew who wears that.... If i did, i would revoke his membership in the tribe.

19. lucky8

Gold Member

Lol well the only reason I said that about jews is because my first year of college I lived in a private dorm that was sponsored by Hillel...about 80% of the dorm was Jewish, from either MN or Skokie IL, and dressed like gangsters, even though they were some of the richest kids on campus...

...I also learned from this experience that an exceptionally large amount of jews smoke pot, in fact, I can't remember ever meeting a single jew there that didn't blaze

#19 lucky8, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  20. Xcuze

Gold Member

Flasher, I think you are making the mistake of thinking that style is all about the clothes. It is not. Its all about the wearer.

Style is essentially about looking effortless & confident. With the right swagger you can work just about any outfit. Kanye West is a perfect example of someone who looks like he is trying too hard. P Diddy is definitely another. :rolleyes:

Its actually quite hard to think of a naturally stylish male star around at the moment. Johnny Depp maybe. Beckham rarely gets it wrong these days. He definitely wears Urban gear. :wink:

Draft saved Draft deleted