GQ "Style"

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It doesn't say much for America if that sorry bunch are the most stylish men they got... :rolleyes:

well, that is only GQ's view...

fortunately, we redeem ourselves with George Clooney and Robert Redford and Paul Newman et. al when he was alive.

i mean seriously...if we had to choose one american male to represent america to the world in terms of male style...would it be this:

http://www.aolcdn.com/red_galleries/justin-timberlake-butt-400a062007.jpg

or this:

http://www.glamorati.com/celebrity/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/george-clooney-2-thumb.jpg

arthur

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Okay having a 'back off Bambi' moment here!!! Depends what GQ are defining as 'style' cause what those boys wear is 'Fashion' and a gentleman should never be found cavorting about in 'Fashion'!!

Men should have personal 'style' that suits them!! And no one else!! A style that is both classic, personal with a touch of modernity to it. Most of those boys are 'put together' by their stylists and forced a lot of time to wear items donated by sponsors of some sort or another!!!

Surprised a list like that does not include George Clooney or Brad Pitt, or moreover, more men over the age of forty. It strikes me as a youth oriented list and aimed at selling product to a certain age market. And good luck to them if that market buys into it!!!

Okay, i'll step my soap box off now...

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Flasher, I think you are making the mistake of thinking that style is all about the clothes. It is not. Its all about the wearer.

Style is essentially about looking effortless & confident. With the right swagger you can work just about any outfit. Kanye West is a perfect example of someone who looks like he is trying too hard. P Diddy is definitely another. :rolleyes:

Its actually quite hard to think of a naturally stylish male star around at the moment. Johnny Depp maybe. Beckham rarely gets it wrong these days. He definitely wears Urban gear. :wink:

well, i have to disagree on that. while i agree that the wearer has a great deal to do with how he is perceived etc. you cannot really get around the fact that if you dress absurdly, no matter your personal "Style" in personality, you will still look absurd.

Robert Redford and Steve McQueen and Paul Newman were three of the coolest men ever...now, these were three supremely confident, handsome, intelligent men...they have more then anyone could imagine in terms of charisma etc...and if you put all three of them in urban street gear, no matter how cool they are, they would look absurd.

I think true style is indeed effortless...but the difference is that making no effort and going out to the movies dressed in jeans, gucci shoes,and a cashmere turtleneck is effortless, and still classy and stylish.

making no effort under the aegis of style and going out in urban street gear to a fashion show borders on the retarded.

I agree with the premise of what you are saying since all these rappers look like clowns....

but no matter how much swagger or cool you have, urban street gear always looks retarded.

as for a naturally "stylish" male star, most of them are the older ones, like Clooney, Redford, etc.

there simply are not the movie stars around that there once were.

i like Johnny Depp as an actor, but in terms of style i would say that he is usually a mess.

it works for him as the "artsy" star, but he really has rather bad taste.

As for Beckham, yes he appears to have finally outgrown the vile clothing of the last 12 years or so...honestly he finally must have borrowed a stylist from Tom Cruise or something....because he used to dress like a complete clown with way too much money to spend.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Okay having a 'back off Bambi' moment here!!! Depends what GQ are defining as 'style' cause what those boys wear is 'Fashion' and a gentleman should never be found cavorting about in 'Fashion'!!

Men should have personal 'style' that suits them!! And no one else!! A style that is both classic, personal with a touch of modernity to it. Most of those boys are 'put together' by their stylists and forced a lot of time to wear items donated by sponsors of some sort or another!!!

Surprised a list like that does not include George Clooney or Brad Pitt, or moreover, more men over the age of forty. It strikes me as a youth oriented list and aimed at selling product to a certain age market. And good luck to them if that market buys into it!!!

Okay, i'll step my soap box off now...

i would agree with that...as my grandfather used to say "Dress British Think Yiddish" :smile:

gradually though, i realized dressing british was not always fun or comfy, and was way too strict and uptight, and it is easier to branch out into a variety of classic and new styles while still remaining true to the more classic "style"

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lol well the only reason I said that about jews is because my first year of college I lived in a private dorm that was sponsored by Hillel...about 80% of the dorm was Jewish, from either MN or Skokie IL, and dressed like gangsters, even though they were some of the richest kids on campus...

...I also learned from this experience that an exceptionally large amount of jews smoke pot, in fact, I can't remember ever meeting a single jew there that didn't blaze

ah yes...for some reason we jews do enjoy the ganj quite a bit (though, most people i know who are not jewish enjoy it too :smile: )

then again, i do not know any of those Minnesota or Skokie Jews, so i will have to take your word for it...then again you are a youngster, so i don't know what the younger generation is up to these days...though one thing seems to be sure...they are very badly dressed :biggrin1:

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Flasher, you're obviously biased towards older guys in suits. Sorry, I think your whole notion of style dressing is limited & needs updating somewhat.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
is GQ not giving their opinion also by appearnce and bring it over to the public. The problem is that one celebrity get a new look and not much later everyone has the same look. See how much the suit is in now.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I tend to be a tad jaded with these things, either the GQ or the Vanity Fair issue regarding this subject seems to be the editors appealing to the cross section of their readership. For me style is not just what you wear but how you wear and not having a stylist tell you what looks hot on you!

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Flasher, you're obviously biased towards older guys in suits. Sorry, I think your whole notion of style dressing is limited & needs updating somewhat.

where did i say "old guys"? just cause i mentioned redford, newman and Mcqueen does not exclude younger men from dressing well.

I dress well....all my friends dress well.

my notion of style runs from casual cool to classic elegance. But urban street gear and dripping with jewelry on ugly suits is not a question of age, it is a question of taste.

when i go out for even a casual dinner with friends or a movie, there is a certain way to dress that says things about what you are, whether you are going for cool, elegant, edgy, hip etc.

I am just as happy dressing "older" like Paul Newman in a suit, but you forget that Paul Newman was also a jeans guy.

the point is, that because dressing for men is so easy, it is nearly impossible to screw up if you have decent taste.

A woman must go through god knows how many different combos...shoes, dresses, full body dresses, pants, blouses, sweaters not to mention makeup, hair styles, color of clothing,

a man has no such worries. Screwing up male fashion takes some doing.

I can give you 5 different occasions for myself, none of them having a style dressing that is limited and in need of updating. None of them are biased towards older guys in suits.

they are basic, simple easy templates for dressing like a man should dress, for a variety of settings, allowing plenty of leeway in each of those templates for a variety of expressions in each of those sectors.

you make it sound like i advocate only one particular style of old man in suit dressage, accompanied by pocket kerchief and an ascot.

that is not what i have said at all.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I tend to be a tad jaded with these things, either the GQ or the Vanity Fair issue regarding this subject seems to be the editors appealing to the cross section of their readership. For me style is not just what you wear but how you wear and not having a stylist tell you what looks hot on you!

very true.

if you need a stylist, chances are, you don't have much style.

biJackTex

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
First off, this is a magazine - their sole purpose is to make money. So, anything that is put into the pages of that magazine is based around making money. You obviously are not a part of the target demo or you would be in agreement with them.
Second, who the fuck cares who/where/what these people are wearing? Do you know any of them? Do you base any part of your life around them? If not, than why the hell are you getting your panties in a bunch about this? Wake up!

To each his own man. Not my place to pass judgment over whether or not people make the "right/correct" fashion choices.

Hope this does not come across as rude. It is extremely frustrating when people get so involved in something that is irrelevant. Don't fall into the trap.

as for me i think shopping in malls/department stores is lame and mindless. i also think people who wear clothes with designers names written in a visible place are being taken for a fool...free advertisement??well, not free you are actually paying them.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I was recently recruited to serve as a pall bearer. I live in the hot and humid sub tropics. I pulled out a black summer weight black wool suit, white linen shirt with French cuffs, and digging around found a pair of black wool dress socks. Although I was headed for a funeral, no one would be expected to wear a tie in the outdoor sun. Good thing, too. I don't own a tie. But I rediscovered a very old pair of all black wing tipped shoes hidden in a box on a shelf and decided to polish them up and wear them. As far as all leather shoes go, they are buttery-soft and very comfortable. I've had them for more than 30 years.

An 'Mericuhn expat woman cornered me at the wake afterward and cried "How long have you had those!" pointing at my wingtips and acting as if I'd made some serious fashion blunder. I pointed her attention to the floor and the shoes many of the young men were wearing. Among the square-toed Farragamos (sp?) and black Armani oxfords there were about eight other men wearing similar wing tips. I remember buying mine at Florsheim Shoes many years ago. The gents wearing similar wing tips had much newer shoes, but the exact same wide instep. After all, this is Buenos Aires and to dance the Milonga or Tango in anything other than wing tips, especially two-tone oxford wing tips is just not done. So, it was nice to realize I had a lot of company 30 years younger than me.

As for the woman, someone should have told her the 1980's had called and wanted her scuffed brown spectator pumps back. It was a funeral and wake, after all.

When I'm not wearing a suit I romp around in Polo shirts, cargo shorts, and athletic shoes -- usually cross-trainers. Everything I own that isn't a suit, jacket or shoes (athletic or otherwise) is 100% cotton. Thank god for cotton.

Last edited: