Grammar and Spelling

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_mitchymo, Jun 1, 2010.

1. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Having recently recieved a PM about the incorrect use of my apostrophies with a forward stating that no offence is meant but i'm placing them in the wrong place i would like to suggest that if you notice that some posters do'nt do it right you just get over it.

Those of you have have focused already on the errors in the above sentence have obviously got nothing better to do.

As long as you can understand that do'nt and don't still mean the same as does offence and offense/ recieve and receive and that the english don't care that Americans/americans (we don't bother to capitalise/capitalize all the time) spell color without a U then it does'nt really matter.
    English is adaptable which americans and australians have already done so it gets particularly annoying when non brits try to pick out the trivial mistakes or simple differences which are growing in custom in the original english.

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Sorry I judge. It means you are lazy!

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm pretty certain all that can be said about interpretations of poor grammar has been over the course of several fairly recent threads. I'd be truly stunned if anything novel suddenly manifests.

4. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

I think im going to stay out of this one....

5. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    What HG said ^

6. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I'm not lazy, im a fast typer and i've learned to leave out certain things that aren't as important on the interwebz as it is if you were writing a letter to the governor. If someone is so bothered they would send you a PM....just send them something back like "I'll pray for you" that's something that fucks with your head.

7. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    generally I type worse than I spell and apostrophes are a low priority.

8. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    While as an editing professional i try to keep my personal posts pretty precise, it's none of my business if a non-client makes an error. But if there's a problem of understanding what the post is meant to convey, I'll say something. Usually not privately because good grief, that might lead to something--- personal!

9. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

:biggrin1: ha, says someone who comes from NYC and not New York City

10. thetramp

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    good job :biggrin1:

11. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Honestly a majority of spelling/grammar corrections are made when someone has nothing else better to say in an argument. It really gets embarassing to even watch.

Some of us aren't educated or have learning disabilities that kept us from learning some subjects very well. That means you might not know how to spell certain things and i see no sense in googling every word you might not know how to spell, nor should i have to find the proper use for : versus ; if im posting on a dick board about my thoughts.

I don't have a job where this is a priority or even matters at all in my day to day life. And my 6th grade education has gotten me thus far in life. I'm pretty content whether or not someone else is bothered by it. As long as others know the jist of the content and what im trying to say. I try to give that same respect to others if they don't know how to spell something that i know how to spell. Who gives a fuck?

12. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually I've had several people correct me :( But I got over it pretty quick. I'm corrected in real life as well. Some of us are better at some things. I do'nt (hehe) really care how something is spelled in their post or what someones grammer looks like. In the beginning I was going back and correcting myself because its in my nature to have people like me. But then I remember, not everyone is going to like you, no matter what you say or do.... or how you spell it. Some people have nothing better to do than pick out others mistakes maybe that makes them feel good? :) Life happens, we all make mistakes!

#12 HiddenLacey, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2010
  13. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Not to mention how many people are here who's mother tongue is not even English.

14. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I find this sentence to be poorly constructed.

:tongue:

15. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    Like i said before, i spend all day writing reports, presentations, workplans etc, this site to me is my downtime, i can afford to be relaxed, its a fun site too.

16. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^ That!

however; I do not think it necessary to correct anyone publicly nor is the issue important enough to send a PM. Only a "whacko" would be so bothered.

But there is a distinction between an obvious "typo" and an ignorant misspelling.

do'nt / don't = obvious typo

shane / shame = obvious typo

your / you're = ignorance

definately / definitely = ignorance

17. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I generally do not point out people's spelling mistakes- although I do roll them around in my head. Spelling in posts online are of no big concern to me. What IS a big concern to me is the plethora of grammar and spelling mistakes in supposedly professional settings. I'm reading an otherwise great book about what America will look like in 2050, and the other day I stumbled upon a paragraph that was so poorly constructed that I went on a 10 minute verbal rant to my very patient boyfriend. At the 24 Hour Fitness gym where I normally work out, there is a sign in the weight room which reads: "Please do not drop the weights and return them when you are done." :mad: REALLY? Someone at 24 Hour Fitness Corporate didn't take the time to insert one MEASLY comma in that sentence?!?!?! :mad:

18. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Sorry, i have no idea where you'd put the comma. Maybe i'm just as stupid as the gym owner.

19. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

After weights i think.

20. alx

alx
    Gold Member

Got to feel sorry for the Keyboard Worriors, tbh I dont care if someone spells something wrong, nor do I care if their grammar isn't totally correct.

Not everyone is at the same standards, thats life. No point in making an issue of it.

Plus ive got more to worry about than re-reading my posts for mistakes.

#20 alx, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted