Grammar and Spelling

D

deleted3782

I could care less!! :tongue:

That's an entirely separate debate! Just how much less could you care? :cool:

Don't worry, I won't go there. I have to write for a living...the last thing I'm going to do is judge grammar on LPGS. :tongue:

slurper_la

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Actually there's another, where the little-understood semicolon comes into play:

"Please do not drop the weights; put them back when you are done."

Absolutely correct and I realized my mistake after I posted my response. But you also modified the content to establish a proper sentence.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Don't worry, I won't go there. I have to write for a living...the last thing I'm going to do is judge grammar on LPGS. :tongue:

I've also wondered about that expression many times. The original expression was, "I couldn't care less." I suppose that the expression, "I could care less," means, "I could care less if I really tried, but it wouldn't be easy."

slurper_la

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have to disagree.

"I have apples, oranges, blackberries and strawberries." is improper

"I have apples, oranges, blackberries, and strawberries." is correct

Perhaps the comma would have been inappropriate in the case of the 24 hr fitness sign- I admit it looks awkward, but putting a comma before "and" is definitely not improper.

You are correct. I was referring specifically to the usage in question - the 24 hour sign.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There, their or they're, seems to always be spelt wrong in a lot of posts.maybe even in this one.

I sometimes get those wrong too but usually catch the mistake when I proof-read. Some mistakes are simply the result of writing fast.

"Than" and "then" are often confused too.

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

psst, that was done on purpose to get a reaction from Lex :tongue:
(although, not the desired reaction that I have fantasized about for years :naughty:)

Last edited:

slurper_la

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A misplaced apostrophe I can forgive. But misuse "less" and "fewer" and imma go OFF!!

Use less when talking of things that are measured.

Use fewer when speaking of items that can be counted.

Yes, those WalMart signs saying "10 Items or Less" are WRONG.

Easy fix! Don't shop at WalMart! :smile:

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A misplaced apostrophe I can forgive. But misuse "less" and "fewer" and imma go OFF!!

Use less when talking of things that are measured.

Use fewer when speaking of items that can be counted.

Yes, those WalMart signs saying "10 Items or Less" are WRONG.

Those rules usually work, but what about "fewer miles?" It seems to me that miles are measured rather than counted, but somehow "less miles" doesn't sound right. The same seems to be true with inches, which is important on this web site. "Less inches" somehow doesn't sound right; I'd normally say "fewer inches."

I'd say, "The condominia across the street were limited to a height of less than 26 feet."

English has many inconsistencies which make it a rather difficult language.

Last edited:

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If your SPG* is not at at least the "high school graduate" or college level then you do not need an internet connection. You need an education!

*Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar.

I have no respect for any adult from a first world country who doesn't know the basics of written English. Unless perhaps English was not their first language.

If someone doesn't take their own writing seriously then how can anyone else take their writing seriously?

Similarly: if you don't have the self esteem to capitalise your own first name (and to a lesser degree username) or personal pronoun then why should anyone else? That really annoys me.

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
If your SPG* is not at at least the "high school graduate" or college level then you do not need an internet connection. You need an education!

I have no respect for any adult from a first world country who doesn't know the basics of written English. Unless perhaps English was not their first language.

If someone doesn't take their own writing seriously then how can anyone else take their writing seriously?

Similarly: if you don't have the self esteem to capitalise your own first name (and to a lesser degree username) or personal pronoun then why should anyone else? That really annoys me.

Sorry Miss Teacher, Ham i inn detennsion? :tongue:

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

It could just as well be said that capitalising your own username is indicative of a persons own self absorbtion or arrogance.

As for the whole 'If someone doesn't take their own writing seriously then how can anyone else take their writing seriously?', what a load of codswallup. Even the greatest writers have proofreaders, its purely about professionalism which is a superficial thing.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media

I take it you don't have many dyslexic or dysgraphic or dysorthographic friends then? :rolleyes:

Last edited: