Grammar Nazis of the world unite....

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
....so i can fucking drop a bomb on you. Seriously, what is your problem? i know i have already made this rant on a different thread but lets discuss. Does it make you feel big? Does it make you feel smart? Does it not occur to you that this site is used by people of varying nationalities and reading and writing abilities? Nothing pisses me off more than seeing people post corrections to people on here. Usually over the word Your/You're, as in my case also. Its nothing more than elitism and snobbery. i really dont believe you couldn't understand what some had meant in a post over one small mistake. If you can't, then it is you with the issue. You are the one that needs to learn to understand context and probably need to learn some politeness. It is rude IMO to correct someone, especially when they are asking for help. This is a SUPPORT SITE!!!!! How are we demonstrating this when we are already looking down on the person for making a spelling mistake? Also, if it bothers you so much to post, why not send a small PM to them saying politely that they have made a mistake and that you dont want to hijack their thread etc with a bitchy comment. I mean, if it bothers you THAT much surely that isn't too much to ask. Maybe we should all vote on the appropriate tenor of this site. Should we vote that Formal English is the chosen language for this site, then by all means berate those who make mistakes, but expect the numbers to drop. I have seen some really amazing people on this site do this and my rating of them has dropped. Please stop being dicks and lowering yourself.

Yes, i have had a bad day, yes, i am a little pissed by the comments i recieved, but dont patronise me, i believe this to be valid points. My anger was merely a push to write this. Dont worry, i fully expect a series of examples of my mistakes in here and comments about me being annoyed, but all it demonstrates is that you either have nothing decent to contribute or you are yourself a Grammar Nazi A.K.A total mug.:wink:

BigDallasDick8x6

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I will correct PROFESSIONAL writers, such as newspaper journalists etc. for mistakes. The Dallas Morning News had an article about loans and used "principle" instead of "principal" for the unpaid balance portion of a loan and I wrote to the person and let them know the difference. They emailed back and thanked me. I think if you write for a living, you should do so correctly.

I don't think I have ever corrected someone's spelling / grammar on this site unless they were attacking me and I was counterattacking, but I don't think not even then.

Although I do think if, for example, someone is a climate change denier and writes a very illiterate rant against environmentalists it's fair to point out their obvious lack of education. The number of lifelong "C" students who suddenly know more than the vast majority of the world's scientists is amazing.

A letter to the editor in the same newspaper said sarcastically "Plants and animals give off carbon dioxide so let's kill them all." I wrote in and said this basic lack of understanding of Science was typical of the CC deniers -- Plants give off OXYGEN; they ABSORB carbon dioxide. Anyway.......not quite the same but it is valid to point out someone's lack of knowledge /education if they don't know what they are talking about. And like it or not, people judge your intelligence in large part on your speech and your writing.

But still, you have a good point that it usually isn't necessary to do so publicly if the person wasn't being a jerk to begin with.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
I vote that you take a deep breath and forget about it. You're going to raise your blood pressure!
thanks for your concern but im fairly calm. if i wasnt this would have been my post:

jlsdfljksdfnsadfjnasf askljwhfladksfaasfasksff f;o sfad ;lsaf jasf;lk saf jas;ldf hasdf lasfs sf ;lsaf 'as ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:biggrin1:

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
I support this rant, I can sum up quite a few people who do this whenever they get the chance without being polite. Luckily there are some good ones who sent pm's to make sure you can correct yourself in a decent way.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
thanks for your concern but im fairly calm. if i wasnt this would have been my post:

jlsdfljksdfnsadfjnasf askljwhfladksfaasfasksff f;o sfad ;lsaf jasf;lk saf jas;ldf hasdf lasfs sf ;lsaf 'as ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:biggrin1:

Believe it or not I think I understood that. But I just finished a cup of coffee. I think we are judged by the way we look and the way we dress and the manner in which we speak. No matter how misbegotten the correction was I'm sure you won't make the mistake again. I think that person may have done you a favor in the long run. Sorry my two cents!

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
Believe it or not I think I understood that. But I just finished a cup of coffee. I think we are judged by the way we look and the way we dress and the manner in which we speak. No matter how misbegotten the correction was I'm sure you won't make the mistake again. I think that person may have done you a favor in the long run. Sorry my two cents!
yeah maybe, but they are still an ass for it.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you don't care enough to bother getting it right you shouldn't give a shit if someone corrects you either, as presumably you've been ignoring your English teachers for years.

If you do care then take the correction under advisement, make the edit if you choose to, and remember it for the future. I've been caught out for incorrect spelling, grammar, and even more annoyingly, facts. I take my moment to cringe and accept that it's my turn under the dunce cap. I'm generally grateful that I can make my mistakes and be corrected here where it has little effect on me rather than in real life where I might be thought of by peers or employers as an idiot.

For the record colons and semicolons are two things I mix up constantly. I'm still waiting for some kindly gentle (gay?) man to instruct me on the proper use for colons.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you don't care enough to bother getting it right you shouldn't give a shit if someone corrects you either, as presumably you've been ignoring your English teachers for years.

If you do care then take the correction under advisement, make the edit if you choose to, and remember it for the future. I've been caught out for incorrect spelling, grammar, and even more annoyingly, facts. I take my moment to cringe and accept that it's my turn under the dunce cap. I'm generally grateful that I can make my mistakes and be corrected here where it has little effect on me rather than in real life where I might be thought of by peers or employers as an idiot.

For the record colons and semicolons are two things I mix up constantly. I'm still waiting for some kindly gentle (gay?) man to instruct me on the proper use for colons.

You talkin' to me?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e9CkhBb18E

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media

you presume wrong, however, should my posts on LPSG be on the standard of my essays? i dont think so. i should be able to type here without fearing getting points docked for misspellings and bad grammar.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
you presume wrong, however, should my posts on LPSG be on the standard of my essays? i dont think so. i should be able to type here without fearing getting points docked for misspellings and bad grammar.

Should is irrelevant. The reality is that people will judge you by the impression you present, and in the online world of fora such as these that presentation is written. If you present yourself as a lazy and/or ignorant slob about your language, don't bitch when people take you for a lazy and/or ignorant slob...and understand that it's in the nature of some people not to tolerate either ignorance or slovenliness in their presence without at least addressing the matter. Either shape up your act, or get over the response it garners.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't understand the logic in that at all.

If you already know the difference between your and you're why wouldn't you just use the correct form as a matter of course?
Having a different standard on here just because you aren't being marked isn't lazy, it actually requires more effort because then you have to differentiate between the two situations. Why bother?

You aren't being marked but since you are interacting with other people you are running the risk of being thought of as less intelligent than you wish by those reading a poorly constructed post. So I'll reiterate my earlier point; If you're not concerned with other's perception of your posts why should you care if your errors are corrected?

*Waits to be corrected on semicolon usage*

Last edited: