Grammar Nazis of the world unite....

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
well then, looking at the people who have PM'd me over my time telling me they find me smart and funny, i guess i havent shit that much.

Actually, it has nothing to do with your intelligence or humor...the idiom refers to discovering the distinction between the way one might want things to be and the way things actually are.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
(Lemon to Herr Hazelgawd:)
i couldnt wait untill you posted....
I no, I no, Lomen.
I no wot a friggin lemon squeezher Hazelgawd can be.
Recentlee, I made a post with ... okay ... a slou of mistaeks, and he laffed at me outrite.
Put in the lmao smilee.

It hert.
Hez uh dorc.

But U shood ignor him.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If we're going to be grammar Nazis, do I get to wear an SS uniform?
But the wholly black uniform of the German SS was a triumph of originality, and wearers were so fond of being identified with it that their official periodical was titled Der Schwarze Korps. . . . Himmler is said to have derived the black SS dress uniform from the black of his admired Jesuits, and since his time black has been associated with all sorts of mysterious evil. (Paul Fussell, Uniforms: Why We Are What We Wear (Houghton Mifflin, 2002), pp. 23–24)
The problem is, we have no Führer. How can we be Nazis without a Führer?

Anybody who finds these musings to be offensive -- and note that I didn't even get to the point of talking about grammar extermination camps -- should think twice about using the term "grammar Nazi."

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
well then it wasnt as evident as you may have wanted it to be to me. alas the idiom is true.
I said the result would be self-evident...ugh, nevermind...just give back the pearls.

think twice about using the term "grammar Nazi."
I prefer to think of it as being part of the Grammar Stasi. :wink:

(with a nod to Wobbles)

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Look, for those whose first language isn't English, I make obvious allowances. For those who have learning disabilities, I make additional ones. For those who don't even use Spellcheck, I have no sympathy. And for those whose education hasn't taught them to know when their simple syntax and language is so lacking as to be unintelligible, well, I'm just sorry.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Look, for those whose first language isn't English, I make obvious allowances. For those who have learning disabilities, I make additional ones. For those who don't even use Spellcheck, I have no sympathy. And for those whose education hasn't taught them to know when their simple syntax and language is so lacking as to be unintelligible, well, I'm just sorry.
My problem is, I don't know how to distinguish the red from the green.
(But your point about Spellcheck is a good one.)