Grammar Nazis of the world unite....

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
What is SPELLCHECK????

Spulczukh was a Ukrainian patriot during the First World War.
(Of course, as a 'Southuhn Slav,' you wouldn't know that. Such a soorprize ....:sasmokin:)

I think that's why the thread; "LPSG's GOT TALENT", was created...

Say that again and u'll be singin falsetto.:beerchug2:

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
See Nick I really don`t have a problem with my NET WORTH here.
It`s that who we are in real life that counts:):):)
This is THE IN-TER-NET!!!
I`m here for some fun baby, you should try it:):):)

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Some thoughts occurred to me when reading this lively thread. I have to admit I haven't see the instances where sweet lemon has been singled out and taken to task, but I hope my points are general enough that they cover several instances of the topic at hand.

First off, there may be a generational issue here. Not suggesting one generation has been better educated than another, but that usage has evolved and adapted differently to the circumstances, viz. that different people view online fora differently. Some of this may have to do with whether one grew up in an era of online communication or adapted along the way to the social changes.

Those under 30 are more comfortable with using spelling shortcuts and not checking spelling closely when sending text messages and tweeting. Why should they? More often than not in those media, the intent is more important than the style. The time spent to compose, review and clean up is not worth it for quick communications. It doesn't mean they don't know how to spell or don't know grammar rules, only that they're using judgment whether it's expedient to do so in a given environment.

That having been said, in my view LPSG is not Twitter. While the subject matter is casual and the premise is somewhat tongue-in-cheek (guys with large cocks tend to be more confident than less, thus less in need of a support group than people with different problems), there is still a wonderful opportunity to learn and to share on myriad subjects. Also, there are many intelligent people here. That's where the thoughtful essay part comes in. I enjoy stirring people to thing and in turn being made to think by good writing and good points.

I'm as prone to typos as anyone. I often completely overlook the mot juste when composing a post. Nevertheless, I put time and effort into what I write and spend most of my time here reading, which is why I have only 270 posts under my belt in the 2 years I've been a member.

Other people view their contributions to LPSG differently, and there's no right or wrong to it. Many leave one- or two-word responses in the threads, and even longer posts that ramble on like stream-of-consciousness. Nevertheless, we can usually read them all and understand their meaning.

Some previous posters have noted that whether we like it or not, this is primarily a written communication medium and our earnestness and erudition is judged by how well we communicate. And by "well", it's a combination of the points we make and how carefully we make them -- which includes word choice, grammar and spelling. Does anyone doubt that paying attention to these generally increases one's credibility? If so, it's not worth getting knickers in a knot over the converse, that flouting either language rules or editing diligence will result in one being taken less seriously. Which is all the more reason to be flattered when you get taken to task, because people are essentially saying, "I like your points and I know that you're better than this." Not necessarily, "I know better than you and you're a twit."

My last point is there are very real distinctions between substantive corrections and picayune corrections. I admit to having gently reminded members that the head of the penis is the "glans" and it is singular (pl. "glandes"); it's not "the glands" of the penis and plural. My motivation is that perhaps this is something that had perplexed them in the past and they'll be more credible going forward when they write about penises, since their original post was good. And remember, it's not always about you and your grammar; sometimes someone offers up a correction in the hope that it clears up a mistake in the minds of hundreds of readers. That's where pet peeves come in. I seldom pass up a chance to point out that the popular term "fast friends" has dead nothing to do with become friends quickly.

Nagging someone about "their" and "there" seems rather pointless, especially if you're tweeting or texting. The time & effort/benefit ratio is radically different when creating an IM vs. filling out a college or job application. Most likely, LPSG falls somewhere in-between.

Last edited:

Mastur

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Some thoughts occurred to me when reading this lively thread. I have to admit I haven't see the instances where sweet lemon has been singled out and taken to task, but I hope my points are general enough that they cover several instances of the topic at hand.

First off, there may be a generational issue here. Not suggesting one generation has been better educated than another, but that usage has evolved and adapted differently to the circumstances, viz. that different people view online fora differently. Some of this may have to do with whether one grew up in an era of online communication or adapted along the way to the social changes.

Those under 30 are more comfortable with using spelling shortcuts and not checking spelling closely when sending text messages and tweeting. Why should they? More often than not in those media, the intent is more important than the style. The time spent to compose, review and clean up is not worth it for quick communications. It doesn't mean they don't know how to spell or don't know grammar rules, only that they're using judgment whether it's expedient to do so in a given environment.

That having been said, in my view LPSG is not Twitter. While the subject matter is casual and the premise is somewhat tongue-in-cheek (guys with large cocks tend to be more confident than less, thus less in need of a support group than people with different problems), there is still a wonderful opportunity to learn and to share on myriad subjects. Also, there are many intelligent people here. That's where the thoughtful essay part comes in. I enjoy stirring people to thing and in turn being made to think by good writing and good points.

I'm as prone to typos as anyone. I often completely overlook the mot juste when composing a post. Nevertheless, I put time and effort into what I write and spend most of my time here reading, which is why I have only 270 posts under my belt in the 2 years I've been a member.

Other people view their contributions to LPSG differently, and there's no right or wrong to it. Many leave one- or two-word responses in the threads, and even longer posts that ramble on like stream-of-consciousness. Nevertheless, we can usually read them all and understand their meaning.

Some previous posters have noted that whether we like it or not, this is primarily a written communication medium and our earnestness and erudition is judged by how well we communicate. And by "well", it's a combination of the points we make and how carefully we make them -- which includes word choice, grammar and spelling. Does anyone doubt that paying attention to these generally increases one's credibility? If so, it's not worth getting knickers in a knot over the converse, that flouting either language rules or editing diligence will result in one being taken less seriously. Which is all the more reason to be flattered when you get taken to task, because people are essentially saying, "I like your points and I know that you're better than this." Not necessarily, "I know better than you and you're a twit."

My last point is there are very real distinctions between substantive corrections and picayune corrections. I admit to having gently reminded members that the head of the penis is the "glans" and it is singular (pl. "glandes"); it's not "the glands" of the penis and plural. My motivation is that perhaps this is something that had perplexed them in the past and they'll be more credible going forward when they write about penises, since their original post was good. And remember, it's not always about you and your grammar; sometimes someone offers up a correction in the hope that it clears up a mistake in the minds of hundreds of readers. That's where pet peeves come in. I seldom pass up a chance to point out that the popular term "fast friends" has dead nothing to do with become friends quickly.

Nagging someone about "their" and "there" seems rather pointless, especially if you're tweeting or texting. The time & effort/benefit ratio is radically different when creating an IM vs. filling out a college or job application. Most likely, LPSG falls somewhere in-between.

Very eloquently put, Gym, and I generally agree with you.
As Nick8 (?) stated earlier, I also make allowances when English is not the primary language of the poster.
I even do for obvious typo's (when a wrong key was accidentaly pressed).
I also make mistakes, but I take the utmost care not to. If I were to make a mistake and be unable to fix it, I would post again with the correction as I don't want to come across as illiterate. Unfortunately, one's ability in one's written language has always been a benchmark of one's education (irrespective of one's intelligence).
Of course dyslexia is totally a different matter altogether.

It definitely is a generational issue.
Speed is essential for texting and chatting, and so the use of abbreviations or phonetic spelling is quite acceptable.
However, there is no excuse for the wrong use of, i.e. "their/there".
Get it wrong and it means that one doesn't undersand its intrinsic meaning.
As hey have the same amount of characters, the excuse of speed texting is then irrelevant as the use of "ther" would have been more appropriate, and only if the rest of the post was written in the same manner.

Like it or not, generally the only people who don't mind the use of good spelling and grammar, are those who can't themselves.

Mastur

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I feel concerned for this generation as I cannot believe that a disregard of proper use of language through texting, does not spill over onto other fields where good spelling and grammar is required, i.e. business communictions, job applications, etc.

I also feel concerned for the generations to come. At this rate, we'll soon be reverting back to hieroglyphs or worse, cave drawings...

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Like it or not, generally the only people who don't mind the use of good spelling and grammar, are those who can't themselves.
That is true for some people but I don't think it can be said to be generally true. People have various reasons for not taking care about grammar and spelling.

I do agree with Lemon that there is a time and place and a way to correct another person's grammar. If you can't do it in a non-rude way, it best just to shut up. Not to say we always have to be polite here. Lord knows I'm not. But grammar and typo criticisms are a petty way score points.

If you correct something another person writes for clarity and the understanding of the readers, it's very easy to do it kindly and with good humor.

We have a few members here who consistently spout off about other posters lack of intelligence yet can barely construct an understandable sentence. Or they think using two dollar words make them look 'smart'. In that case I'd have no qualms about attacking their grammar and spelling.

I have to be very careful typing on a computer. I tend to write "their" even if I believe I'm writing "there". I proofread, and I'm surprised to find these mistakes. It's some kind of dyslexia I guess. Or I'll proofread, then post it, only to re-read it later and see errors. It seems to be a keyboarding issue for me because I never make those mistakes when writing longhand or using a typewriter.

Velvet

Just Browsing
Media
There is an answer outside the clumsy tool that is Spellchecker and that is Mozilla Firefox.
The beauty of this is that as you are typing any spelling and punctuation errors will show up with a dotted red line under them.
Please note that those who are outside the US of A and who have been taught "The Queens English" that Firefox recognizes the American form of English and so will demand with that sometimes utterly frustrating dotted line that you use Zs where you have been taught to use S's.
It also does not recognize higher forms of English so access to an complete online dictionary is recommended.

To be honest I an using Firefox at this very moment to weed out the more glaring faults out of this post as I type it.
If something is wrong within this post I can, therefore, lay the blame on Firefox for being a faulty program.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What is SPELLCHECK????

Luka - try using Google Chrome for your browser as it's totally built in. Any word you type that is misspelled will show as being underlined in red as soon as you finish typing it. :wink:

My single biggest typo is using ; instead of ' :mad: I do it every day as I had my previous laptop for a few years before this one and the keyboard is slightly different. Old habits die hard.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Please note that those who are outside the US of A and who have been taught "The Queens English" that Firefox recognizes the American form of English and so will demand with that sometimes utterly frustrating dotted line that you use Zs where you have been taught to use S's.
It also does not recognize higher forms of English so access to an complete online dictionary is recommended.
Actually, doll, Firefox is available in a range of languages, including the British flavor of English. :wink:
Check it out.

Or, if you can't be arsed to re-install the Queen's version, you can always just install the nannystate language pack. :biggrin1:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
There is an answer outside the clumsy tool that is Spellchecker and that is Mozilla Firefox.
The beauty of this is that as you are typing any spelling and punctuation errors will show up with a dotted red line under them.

The spellcheck function in FF is an add-on. You can choose to install any number of different dictionaries and switch between them. I use British English and French.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3

If you look on that page you'll see several English spelling systems offered; US, British, Canadian, South African, even Australian.

So you need to install a different dictionary, DF.

Mastur

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
To be honest I an using Firefox at this very moment to weed out the more glaring faults out of this post as I type it.
If something is wrong within this post I can, therefore, lay the blame on Firefox for being a faulty program.

Yup, but no matter how smart any spelling programme gets, it can never substitute human common sense.
Because 'an' is a proper word, your Firefox didn't recognise the obvious typo...

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yup, but no matter how smart any spelling programme gets, it can never substitute human common sense.
Because 'an' is a proper word, your Firefox didn't recognise the obvious typo...

The name of the add-on is spellcheck not grammarcheck. It cannot differentiate between the likes of their, there and they're being used in the correct context.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Speed is a lousy excuse, especially since this a forum, which is a fairly slow medium of the internet. And since text is essentially the only way to communicate on a forum, and is the most common on the internet, how you present things should matter. By short handing so much and so often, you are telling me you are either lazy, or dumb, or a tool who thinks it is 'kool.' I don't even use short hand for texts. It isn't THAT much faster. Pressing a key is hardly a slow motion, so I'm saving a few seconds tops. Only if you are terribly slow at texting do you save any time by using short hand. And even then you don't save that much time. IMs are no excuse either, since again, you are only saving seconds tops.

So by using a lot of short hand or txt speak, you are telling me you are either lazy, stupid, or a tool, or any combination of the three.

That being said I do not demand perfect grammar or spelling.