Grammar Police (What ticks you off?)

wofg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I work at my college's newspaper and I cringe every time I see bad grammar and/or punctuation on the Internet. (Yes, including LPSG)

Here are some things that tick me off:
1) Not knowing the difference between "every day" and "everyday"

2) Everyone's favorite: your and you're

3) Possessive names: "The Smith's had a party." WRONG "The Smiths had a party." RIGHT!

What are some things that tick you off as part of the Grammar Police?

goldenf

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
It's normal for people to make mistakes with their grammar. When I was at school our English teacher taught us that it's perfectly OK to make mistakes.

When writing on forums like this it's not like we're applying for a job interview.

What annoys me is when someone writes in 'text speak' when they're not using a mobile phone.

wofg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's normal for people to make mistakes with their grammar. When I was at school our English teacher taught us that it's perfectly OK to make mistakes.

When writing on forums like this it's not like we're applying for a job interview.

What annoys me is when someone writes in 'text speak' when they're not using a mobile phone.

OOHH yeah that's a good one.
Like when someone types "ur" instead of "you're". WOW.

It's perfectly fine to make mistakes but you also have to make an effort to get better at writing. I always double check on the spelling and punctuation even when I'm texting someone just so that I don't sound like a fool.

Last edited:

FleshlightMouth

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Providence, Rhode Island, United States of America
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Singular nouns ("everybody") used with plural pronouns ("their")
Incorrect use of objective case ("Very nice of you to invite my husband and I to your party")
Incorrect use of past participle ("We should have went there", "You should have took the other one")
Incorrect use of adverbs ("I feel badly", "My computer is running so slow", depending on context: "I'm good")

Reddhott

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not sure if this is a grammar issue. Using the word "vagina" to mean the outwardly visible girl parts.

If you can see it without a speculum, it is not a vagina. The parts have names, learn them.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Not really something that ticks me off, but I notice it: using "different than," instead of the correct "different from."

The one that really ticks me off: When people use "there's" for a plural noun. "There's a few....There's several...." Should be "There ARE."

docdeath

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Then there are the dumbasses who believe "alot" is one word.
And those who don't know how, or when to use the word "too".
Then there are the utterly clueless that say "irregardless".

Reactions: Herrmann

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Not really something that ticks me off, but I notice it: using "different than," instead of the correct "different from."

The one that really ticks me off: When people use "there's" for a plural noun. "There's a few....There's several...." Should be "There ARE."

http://data.grammarbook.com/blog/adjectives-adverbs/different-from-vs-different-than/ LOL

It is impolite to correct improper grammar at times, but we still need to bear in mind that grammar and punctuation bring civility to language - a most important aspect of modern living. We're starting to show distaste for civility in society, so I can only imagine where we're headed language-wise.

Last edited:

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Singular nouns ("everybody") used with plural pronouns ("their")
Incorrect use of objective case ("Very nice of you to invite my husband and I to your party")
I'm probably guilty of these.

I hate it when people say "where is it at?". You don't end your sentences with a preposition.
Would you accept the the Newfoundlandian, "Where's it to?"?

Then there are the utterly clueless that say "irregardless".
This one makes my eye twitch.

Reactions: Jjz1109

laburdsahh

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
People who decide to care about grammar just so that they can have a conversation piece to demonstrate their superiority tick me off. Apparently, deciding to feel ticked off by grammar police is what makes me feel superior. So there you go.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm still wondering who this guy "Noone" is. He's frequently referred to as some kind of authority here on LPSG.

As in, "Noone knows how Obamacare is suppose to work", or "Noone knows what the average girth is".

America should find Noone and elect him president. Or ispettore pene.

goldenf

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Another one which I hear a lot of Brits huffing and puffing about is using the word 'get' instead of 'have', when ordering a coffee, for example.

"Hi, can I get a coffee?"

"I'm afraid you can't. Although, I can get one for you."

:)

Reactions: Fuzzy_